Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91697 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3315 on: June 15, 2015, 03:58:19 AM »
I really wish someone ported pac man over.   

Go play Pyramid Plunder.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

martinine

« Reply #3316 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »
I'm playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Bomberman 94. I pick up JB Harold last week and the guy at the game store I frequent threw in a loose Dungeon Explorer for free. I'm set for a while!

...was this Video Game World in Huntersville?  If not, then that's a crazy coincidence.  They had both the games you mentioned last time I went.

EDIT: dude, you totally went to Video Game World.  You may only live about 30-40 minutes away from me.  FINALLY a local obeyer!

It was Video Game World. You must be "the only other guy who asks about Turbo stuff." Haha. Awesome!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

Gredler

« Reply #3317 on: June 18, 2015, 07:56:53 AM »
Is this where I should be posting my PCE what did I plays? :P Anyways, I played Kato Chan & Ken Chan for a good hour or so last night, and was able to fumble my way to the first boss. I was initally stuck in 1-2  at a large floor gap I could not clear with a jump, but eventually continued after kicking some signs to find a platform allowing me to jump the large gap, I don't want to admit to how many times I tried to make the jump thinking I could make it. I then had to figure out that I needed to fart on the snake to continue past their one hit death. The next hurdle was a tempting bounce pad that sent me back a few stages. After avoiding that, I got to the boss and promptly got my ass handed to me. I can't wait to go back knowing these things to quickly get through world one, and hopefully defeat the boss. What a blast the game is, I love it more and more each time I sit down with it. My first experience was mostly running around enjoying the music and laughing at the sprites, but this last session gave me that great feeling of exploration and discovery. I'm bit, tonight I'll defeat world 1!!!

Esteban - I was going to make a KC&KC does what turrican't image, but I realized I don't have the same font on my work pc as you do - is that helvetica? more like helvetic-yeah. :P

esteban

« Reply #3318 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »

Is this where I should be posting my PCE what did I plays? :P Anyways, I played Kato Chan & Ken Chan for a good hour or so last night, and was able to fumble my way to the first boss. I was initally stuck in 1-2  at a large floor gap I could not clear with a jump, but eventually continued after kicking some signs to find a platform allowing me to jump the large gap, I don't want to admit to how many times I tried to make the jump thinking I could make it. I then had to figure out that I needed to fart on the snake to continue past their one hit death. The next hurdle was a tempting bounce pad that sent me back a few stages. After avoiding that, I got to the boss and promptly got my ass handed to me. I can't wait to go back knowing these things to quickly get through world one, and hopefully defeat the boss. What a blast the game is, I love it more and more each time I sit down with it. My first experience was mostly running around enjoying the music and laughing at the sprites, but this last session gave me that great feeling of exploration and discovery. I'm bit, tonight I'll defeat world 1!!!

Esteban - I was going to make a KC&KC does what turrican't image, but I realized I don't have the same font on my work pc as you do - is that helvetica? more like helvetic-yeah. :P

Ha! I'm glad you're enjoying some KC&KC.

When I get home I'll see what the font is...it is not helvetica, but I can't remember it.

:)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #3319 on: June 19, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »
UPDATE:  "Phosphate Solid" is the name of the font.
  |    | 

Gredler

« Reply #3320 on: June 19, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

Thanks! Don't have it :(

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3321 on: June 20, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »

Thanks! Don't have it :(

Do not despair.

Kato-chan & Ken-chan love you, comrade.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:15:22 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Gredler

« Reply #3322 on: June 25, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »
Kato Chan & Ken Chan is rad. I got through the first zone and moved to area 2-1 easily after figuring out how to get through it. It's a fun blend of goof and quick gameplay combined with meticulous hunting and exploration, on a linear level design with loops back to earlier areas. I had a great time playing the slot machine and getting extra vitality to help with the boss. Though the boss became a lot easier when I learned his pattern, jumping off his rocks to kick him in the face worked pretty well though probably the wrong way to attack him. Great times, next challenge is to get through world 2!! :D

I also played quite a bit of Paranoia/Psychosis and wow that game beat me down over and over. The large indestructible hazards took some memorization to avoid being in the wrong place when they move into, and it took me a while to get a feel for rotating the helper pods to defend myself, but I can get through the first two causes on a single life consistently now. I have not been able to make it past the second cause's boss, so it looks like my next mission of obey is getting to level 3 on these two games!  :-k

esteban

« Reply #3323 on: June 25, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »

Kato Chan & Ken Chan is rad. I got through the first zone and moved to area 2-1 easily after figuring out how to get through it. It's a fun blend of goof and quick gameplay combined with meticulous hunting and exploration, on a linear level design with loops back to earlier areas. I had a great time playing the slot machine and getting extra vitality to help with the boss. Though the boss became a lot easier when I learned his pattern, jumping off his rocks to kick him in the face worked pretty well though probably the wrong way to attack him. Great times, next challenge is to get through world 2!! :D

I also played quite a bit of Paranoia/Psychosis and wow that game beat me down over and over. The large indestructible hazards took some memorization to avoid being in the wrong place when they move into, and it took me a while to get a feel for rotating the helper pods to defend myself, but I can get through the first two causes on a single life consistently now. I have not been able to make it past the second cause's boss, so it looks like my next mission of obey is getting to level 3 on these two games!  :-k

Yes, Paranoia/Psychosis = more challenging than I thought it would be. Which is a good thing. Only a few stages total, so it needed to be this way. I like it...not a top-tier game, but definitely interesting.
  |    | 

Gredler

« Reply #3324 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »

Yes, Paranoia/Psychosis = more challenging than I thought it would be. Which is a good thing. Only a few stages total, so it needed to be this way. I like it...not a top-tier game, but definitely interesting.

Yesterday I did the same combo of games, and had another blast with a ton of progress. I stumbled into the 4th cause on Paranoia, and holy crap what a ramp in difficulty. I was able to make really good progress with the wave beam by shooting through walls and taking out enemies before/as they appeared on screen. Once I died though, and lost my powerups, everything hit the fan and my progress ceased. I was able to take out the third boss without powerups, his pattern was easy to figure out, but the fourth level without powerups was too much for me. I feel hopeful that I might be able to see this one through to the end, but no promises :)

KC&KC was cut short but I was able to get into the second set of levels with little impediment keeping all of my lives, house guests arrived shortly into my session so I was not able to see it through - thought it was very fun to run through the first set hoarding coins.

ShadowKitty777

« Reply #3325 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
I got my PC Engine back from being repaired!!! I tested it out by playing some Valis 1.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #3326 on: June 26, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Last PCE game I played was Override...it was I believe my fifth time playing it...and I 1CC'd the game.  It looks like it should be a hard game...but it's not.  Easier than Soldier Blade, which I still can't quite get through on one continue.

Still, the music, presentation, and frantic action make this one worthwhile.  I just wish there was more to it...
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EmperorIng

« Reply #3327 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
I am playing a few:

Auleria: This has an excellent Tamayo Kawamoto (of Zuntata fame) soundtrack, and it plays all right when you are dungeon crawling and fighting all sorts of nasty monsters. An interesting bit is that as you level up, lower level monsters cease to appear on the maps, leaving some areas that previously had kicked your butt devoid of all activity. I've only explored two dungeons thus far, but they were fairly labyrinthine.

I think what unfortunately brings it down is the amount of talking to random people you have to do to trigger the next story event - this is a problem for someone with no knowledge of Japanese.

This is a game that is a prime candidate for a fan-translation, given its pedigree (Taito weirdness*/Winky Soft quality?), engaging visuals, and accessible game mechanics.

*nothing quite like mowing down waves of skinless baby midget monsters, and later on succumbing to droves of jumping jolly jesters.

Valis 1: the fantastic fantasm game. However, my CD started skipping and eventually froze at the dragon fight. I don't know if this is a CD issue or an issue with my Duo-R, which has been having problems with the CD reader (as per this topic).

Fray in Magical Adventure ~ Xak Gaiden: Cute and easy, as well as easy to understand despite most text being in Japanese. Having items represented pictorially really helps, and most of the town portions are resolved (thus far) by talking to everyone; these segments are short. It left a good first impression.

Xak I: Another game that is easy to figure out without Japanese knowledge - though I have had to consult a FAQ/Walkthrough a few times; luckily there are good ones for the PCE-CD port. I have unfortunately overleveled (the first time ever in an RPG I think, ha) - being at max level well before the end of the game (Xak I caps at Level 25). I did this early on because I couldn't even scratch a boss at one point - I power-leveled and killed it in one hit, and proceeded to kill other bosses in a few hits. It feels a little hollow when you mow down monsters and don't get any experience =(

However, this game is quite fun. I look forward to the usual Ys 2-switcharoo where all my experience is rendered null and void by the second game's monsters.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:36:01 PM by EmperorIng »

wilykat

« Reply #3328 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
Gradius, when I was testing my newly acquired Turboexpress.  Bad sound aside, it was playable.

turboswimbz

« Reply #3329 on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »
Dynastic Hero wooooooo
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.