Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91613 times)

datbuta

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3435 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
I just picked up Buster Bros from a local shop for 56$CDN taxes in... i don't know if thats a good price but it was cheaper than aero blasters... and its more fun

love the game.. great co-op gameplay... my gf loves it... plus the music is great... music is so good on turbo cd games ... well counting that this is only the second cd game i have but still.. i thought legendary axe's soundtrack was awesome.. its been awhile since i commented on a game soundtrack... since streets of rage 2

buster bros... great game!!

seieienbu

« Reply #3436 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
Paid a little bit more than I wanted to for it, ($75 iirc though I was hoping to get it for under $60) but I finally got a copy of Shockman.  Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to play it through; so far I've been able to get just past the underwater shooting stage. 

I've wanted this game for some time; I'm glad that I was finally able to get my hands on it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

lukester

« Reply #3437 on: September 10, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
Gheebee, I agree about Dragon Egg. Masaya may have rushed the game, especially with the horribly unbalanced difficulty. And the 4th level is only 30 seconds long.

I beat Ys III the other day, which is pretty good but the gameplay is less interesting than Exile, except boss fights.

I've also been playing a lot of Ninja Gaiden. I like it a lot more than the NES one, the difficulty is a little more balanced and the graphics are beautiful despite the choppiness in some levels. I've beat it a couple times now.

seieienbu

« Reply #3438 on: September 10, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »

I beat Ys III the other day, which is pretty good but the gameplay is less interesting than Exile, except boss fights.

After the rocking soundtrack, my favorite thing about Ys 3 is that I can start and finish the game in an afternoon.  I don't think it's a bad game.  It's just not what I really want when I want to play an Ys game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

EmperorIng

« Reply #3439 on: September 11, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
The only sidescrolling Falcom game that has really stuck with me is Popful Mail. I don't think it was really their forte.

I recently 1cc'd Rabio Lepus and Down Load. Both are good games, with Down Load being extremely easy and Rabio packing quite the (rabbit) punch. Video System should have brought more games to the PC Engine.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #3440 on: September 11, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »

...Down Load being extremely easy...

What sorcery is this?
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EmperorIng

« Reply #3441 on: September 11, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
Dude, use chaser missiles. The game gives you a-nearly-infinite supply and not only do they cancel bullets (biggest advantage right here), they kill everything, including the last boss, in seconds. Also, use the right weapon for the right level (hint: alternate between laser and spread).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:37:46 PM by EmperorIng »

grolt

« Reply #3442 on: September 11, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
The lady and I were playing DARKWING DUCK tonight.  I've heard of its fowl (zing!) reputation, but to be honest it's not all that bad.  I like the conceit of collecting puzzle pieces to later "solve" the picture puzzle afterwards.  Nice that they let you finish a level without all the pieces so you can play it later, and being able to select levels in your own order is also fairly forward thinking.  Yes, it's very awkward to control and enemy placement and level design are sub-par, but at least you can Easy mode it and not really have to worry about taking a few extra hits with the clumsy controls.  Any fans?
I'm a notorious strange man.

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3443 on: September 11, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
The lady and I were playing DARKWING DUCK tonight.  I've heard of its fowl (zing!) reputation, but to be honest it's not all that bad.  I like the conceit of collecting puzzle pieces to later "solve" the picture puzzle afterwards.  Nice that they let you finish a level without all the pieces so you can play it later, and being able to select levels in your own order is also fairly forward thinking.  Yes, it's very awkward to control and enemy placement and level design are sub-par, but at least you can Easy mode it and not really have to worry about taking a few extra hits with the clumsy controls.  Any fans?

There is one person. 

You.

I actually never forgave this game for its horrible controls.

I just.

Can't.

The only sidescrolling Falcom game that has really stuck with me is Popful Mail. I don't think it was really their forte.

I recently 1cc'd Rabio Lepus and Down Load. Both are good games, with Down Load being extremely easy and Rabio packing quite the (rabbit) punch. Video System should have brought more games to the PC Engine.

I tried to get into Sorcerian, but I quickly realized I had no clue what to do...

Faxanadu was a Hudson production (or co-production), so that doesn't count as a pure Falcom sidescroller).

Hmm... I'm trying to think of more....memory is failing me. 

As for Download, I think it is fun to replay with self-imposed challenges.

RABIO LEPUS is rarely discussed, sadly, except for the few times I talked about how I am drawn to quirky games...RABIO is OK...but I feel like it could have been a more memorable experience... the mechanics should have made the game more unique, I wish there was a mode that exaggerated the need for using "close combat skills" for certain enemies/obstacles+ without losing the need for traditional shootemup flair.

Still, a decent game. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:15:23 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #3444 on: September 12, 2015, 08:03:39 AM »
I can only imagine grolt's gal having the time of her life playing so many awful games night after night.

RABIO LEPUS is rarely discussed, sadly, except for the few times I talked about how I am drawn to quirky games...RABIO is OK...but I feel like it could have been a more memorable experience... the mechanics should have made the game more unique, I wish there was a mode that exaggerated the need for using "close combat skills" for certain enemies/obstacles+ without losing the need for traditional shootemup flair.

The arcade version (also released on JPN PS2) is more akin to what you are looking for (the melee is more important). Of course, Psikyo (the company that split off from V-System when they got sick of making mediocre V-System games) took things to the next level in terms of quality and uniqueness with games like Gunbird/Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II, Dragon Blaze, and Sengoku Aces/Blade. Charge shots, melee attacks, high difficulty levels, creative bosses... They did it all. Gunbird 2 is in the range of "best shmup ever" for me.

grolt

« Reply #3445 on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »
I can only imagine grolt's gal having the time of her life playing so many awful games night after night.

We played DOUBLE DUNGEONS today...does that count?

esteban

« Reply #3446 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »

YOU GOTTA LOOK AT EACH OTHER in Double Dungeons!!!!

It is the only time you get to appreciate the character art/graphics for the protagonists!

Maybe there is a mirror in the game? To see your reflection? I can't recall, but I don't think there is a mirror...
  |    | 

grolt

« Reply #3447 on: September 12, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »

YOU GOTTA LOOK AT EACH OTHER in Double Dungeons!!!!

It is the only time you get to appreciate the character art/graphics for the protagonists!

Maybe there is a mirror in the game? To see your reflection? I can't recall, but I don't think there is a mirror...

There's no mirror, but there should be.  It's actually kind of surreal getting to see yourself in a first person game.  It would be like if Adol suddenly spoke in a Ys game.

o.pwuaioc

« Reply #3448 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
Had some friends over who were really excited to see the Turbo in action. One had never played a Turbo CD before, and the other hadn't played either console or add-on, so it was a fun romp.

We started with Ninja Spirit, before moving onto shooters (they're more shooters fans than anything, but of course how can one not absolutely love Ninja Spirit, so it had to be played first). For shooters we took turns on the 2min Soldier Blade challenge before playing through the end of that. Then we played a tiny bit of Gunhed before Sapphire was brought out. Sapphire was definitely the highlight of the night.

After that, we moved onto Strikers 1945 II (and some Master System shooters), after which one of the guys had to leave. All in all, a pretty fun day.

grolt

« Reply #3449 on: September 14, 2015, 05:39:16 AM »
Had some friends over who were really excited to see the Turbo in action. One had never played a Turbo CD before, and the other hadn't played either console or add-on, so it was a fun romp.

We started with Ninja Spirit, before moving onto shooters (they're more shooters fans than anything, but of course how can one not absolutely love Ninja Spirit, so it had to be played first). For shooters we took turns on the 2min Soldier Blade challenge before playing through the end of that. Then we played a tiny bit of Gunhed before Sapphire was brought out. Sapphire was definitely the highlight of the night.

After that, we moved onto Strikers 1945 II (and some Master System shooters), after which one of the guys had to leave. All in all, a pretty fun day.

What SMS shooters did you play?  There's a few that I used to love, but I have to admit after playing the shooters on the TG-16 they seem a little quaint by comparison.

Speaking of shooters, last night I fired up DRAGON SPIRIT and CYBER-CORE.  The games could be cousins and I'm amazed there is no homogeneity between the two production teams.  Both offer the same kind of play mechanics (blend between shooting and bombing from a vertical, overhead perspective) and both do a good job representing their world (dragons in one, insects in the other).  I found CYBER-CORE to be more playable - it had a quicker pace and was a little more forgiving than DRAGON SPIRIT and it's giant player sprite.  I was starting to become addicted to the CYBER-CORE gameplay of blasting that one little bug for extra powerups in my first run through and I made it all the way to the 7th level on my first playthrough before shutting it off.  Sounds like the last level ramps up in difficulty considerably though...