Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91597 times)

Punch

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3480 on: September 24, 2015, 06:02:57 AM »
Nightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.

I'm pretty sure you mean Night Creatures, it's a common mistake haha. The cover art gives me a "I SAY HEY WHAT'S GOING ON" vibe.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3481 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »
Still occasionally booting up Fiend Hunter.

The fights are getting pretty mediocre, since the constant blocking of the enemies, coupled with your character's slow speed and limited moves, make for some exceedingly drawn out affairs.

johnnykonami

« Reply #3482 on: September 24, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
i popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !

For me it is better if I play the game gradually by shutting it off after I get Game Over 3 or 4 times; when I first got it I was determined to beat it but it seemed like the longer I played in one sitting the less progress I would make. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that games tend to annoy me when I have to keep playing the same level over and over again so others may fare better with this. You really have to memorize some of the levels in this game!

I had this one as a kid and I remember getting pretty good at it.  There's some tricky stages (I think some of the ice stages stand out in my memory) but you'll nail it eventually.  I'd love to pick this one up again one day, it's the last game I had before my TG-16 self destructed (and before I got a Duo to replace it).

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3483 on: September 24, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »

Gave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.

Definitely beat the original first.

There are some classic, crazy battles in the original.

I wish there had been a true sequel to Neo Nectaris...even if it was the exact same game but loaded with tons of new campaigns.

Oh, of course!  I am far too anal retentive to ever just skip ahead.  I just wanted to preview it a little.  I'm on Deshta in the original so I think I'm pretty close to the end.  I found your webpage not too long ago, so unless it's some other Esteban (we have six people with that name in my house right now, so probably), you seem to be the premier super fan for Nectaris.  I'll have to try out Earth Light one of these days on your recommendation.   

I was thinking about it, back in the day I really liked Vasteel, buying different mech units from factories and moving them around hexagon based maps.  Of course I still love it, but it's not really a strategy game as much as it is an action game.  I don't remember having to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the units all that much, just had to perform well in the battle sequences.  Stylistically, I have a lot of love for that game, the Jazz Fusion soundtrack, dozens of different little mechs, and the hex maps all appealed to me.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I didn't really play what I consider to be a real strategy game until Iron Storm on the Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  (I've since gone back and tried a few of the other Daisenryaku titles as well).  That game was for reals, yo.  Knee deep in unit specs and terrain considerations.  A few years later my buddy picked up Advance Wars on the GBA and introduced me to it, and then I went nuts playing AW1 and AW2.

I didn't own Military Madness as one of my original childhood TG-16 games, and considering how much I love the genre now, it's a shame I didn't realize it sooner because I could have playing one of the best ones years ago.  I would still like to get a CIC MM one of these days, but having Nectaris included on the NN disc takes off the sting a little until I can swing it.  I think I also wanna grab Nectaris GB one of these days (I've played it a little.)

Ha. I was gong to update the ancient Nectaris stuff years ago, but I never did get around to it. :)

I lost my game save in Earth Light (stupid battery!) and I need to replace it. Of course, I've been saying that for years. It was so cute, in just the right dose, I loved it. 

Nothing is stopping you from listening to Vasteel's chip tunes/Red Book when you play Nectaris :)

I WISH THE GAMEBOY VERSION used a hexagonal map! Otherwise, I thought it was totally fun. 

What else can I say? There are some things I removed from my website that still exist in the text version FAQ:

(1) Try setting wacky goals for every level (like, only go after the enemy base, dedicating all resources to this goal).... or try to have all your units be defensive (see if you can set traps, develop techniques for entries my defensive strategy).

(2) Boards with Hunters are usually exempt from self-imposed wacky rules, since they will obliterate you once they get full-star experience.

(3) you must use infantry for major offensive maneuvers, but they can be the "final wave" attacking each round, after you have unleashed major offensive from tanks, artillery.

Etc.

:)
  |    | 

gheebee

« Reply #3484 on: September 25, 2015, 01:29:42 AM »
I had this one as a kid and I remember getting pretty good at it.  There's some tricky stages (I think some of the ice stages stand out in my memory) but you'll nail it eventually.  I'd love to pick this one up again one day, it's the last game I had before my TG-16 self destructed (and before I got a Duo to replace it).

Yeah, really am determined to beat this one. Those ice stages were the hardest for me for a while but I feel like I'm getting used to them now; hopefully I can say the same about all of the stages soon! Defintiely revisit this one if you get the chance.

gheebee

« Reply #3485 on: September 25, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
Was just playing New Adventure Island and saw a bit of a glitch. I broke an egg containing a skateboard and tried to jump over a bat and land on it, but I hit the bat, died, landed on the skateboard, and was back to life sans the skateboard and anything on the screen except for the level itself. The screen wouldn't scroll and all I could do was wait for the life bar to run out so I could die again and restart the level.

esteban

« Reply #3486 on: September 25, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »

Was just playing New Adventure Island and saw a bit of a glitch. I broke an egg containing a skateboard and tried to jump over a bat and land on it, but I hit the bat, died, landed on the skateboard, and was back to life sans the skateboard and anything on the screen except for the level itself. The screen wouldn't scroll and all I could do was wait for the life bar to run out so I could die again and restart the level.

That's awesome! I have never seen that.

I would love for someone to recreate that and record it!

|    | 

gheebee

« Reply #3487 on: September 25, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
That's awesome! I have never seen that.

I would love for someone to recreate that and record it!

I don't have any way to record it but it wasn't too hard to do. At the beginning of level 4-2 or 4-3 (whichever is the cave level) there is a part where you get an egg right before 3 bats fly at you, you can run under the first one and hit the egg, jump over the second, and then unsuccessfully jump over the third right as it is over the skateboard and it should happen. Starts to play the death animation when you hit the bat and then you hit the skateboard and are alive again. The only thing is that you can only do it if you get to the level with a weapon in your hand because it is the first egg and if you don't have a weapon then the egg will have an axe instead of a skateboard, so it is a one shot deal. Not sure if it matters but I was playing the Japanese release when I did this. Had a look to see if there was a youtube video after I did it but no dice.
Now that I think about it, this seems to make sense. The skateboard gives you an extra hit but you kind of bounce a little when it disappears and this can get you killed a lot of times, so it's nice that this balances it out even though it's a pretty obscure occurrence.

gheebee

« Reply #3488 on: September 26, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
Beat New Adventure Island with my friend today! All in all a great game and one I hope to beat again soon on my own, especially since I cleared all the levels except one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:07:44 PM by gheebee »

Damon Plus

« Reply #3489 on: September 29, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Nightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.

I'm pretty sure you mean Night Creatures, it's a common mistake haha. The cover art gives me a "I SAY HEY WHAT'S GOING ON" vibe.

I think my mind played a trick on me, but hey,  the game is a nightmare to play at times

lukester

« Reply #3490 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
Played two of my favorites today, Ninja Gaiden (PCE) and Mr. Heli.

I beat Ninja Gaiden pretty quickly. Only used two continues and beat all 3 final bosses in a row. I still love how fluid and impressive the wall-jump movement is.

When playing Mr. Heli, I managed to 1CC the game! Also, I never bothered to try the second loop until today. Probably because I was on a roll. Got up to the mini-boss of Loop 2, stage 3. He destroyed me instantly a few times.

I still had a credit left but realized there was no point trying haha.

Punch

« Reply #3491 on: September 30, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »
Played some Monster Lair for the nth time. I still love the tunes, the High Score one is still a favorite of mine among all pce redbook music.

esteban

« Reply #3492 on: September 30, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

Played some Monster Lair for the nth time. I still love the tunes, the High Score one is still a favorite of mine among all pce redbook music.

So many great tunes in that game :)
  |    | 

applejack8706

« Reply #3493 on: October 01, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
Right now I'm trying to beat Soldier Blade.  Splash Lake is one I've been playing a lot recently, too

esteban

« Reply #3494 on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »

Right now I'm trying to beat Soldier Blade.  Splash Lake is one I've been playing a lot recently, too

Both excellent games.
  |    |