Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91429 times)

Gredler

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3495 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
Last night I got into a serious thing with Download. Man, that game is blast I just wish I knew what they were saying in the cutscenes :P

So fast paced, but great fun and addictive to try and try again :P

EmperorIng

« Reply #3496 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
Download is indeed a fun game; just remember that chaser missiles trump everything in the game and even cancel bullets. It's the go to weapon for beating the game. Way better than that stupid rotating shield.  :-s

I'm playing the Japanese Adventure Island. Does anyone know if there is important story/puzzle text in the game? Skimming through a longplay it didn't seem like it, but I don't want to hit a Sphinx moment and screw up. I also really dig that you can save to memory... I wonder why more HuCards don't do this?

The only thing that bugs me is the recoloring of all the delightful Wonder Boy colors (green hair, dragons, etc.).

lukester

« Reply #3497 on: October 02, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »
It can be a problem if you don't know what certain shop items are.

Personally, I didn't bother with the Japanese version.

IvanBeavkov

« Reply #3498 on: October 04, 2015, 01:15:52 AM »
I'm playing Dragon's Curse. It has been so long since I played this game and it is just as much fun as I remember it. I also love when you are playing and the controls just click. I was farming a little bit to get some money and it was in a area with one of those annoying clouds. At first it a was taking 3 or 4 arrow shots to before I hit it, but then the timing just clicked. I was able to hit him with the first shot 10 times in a row. I love when that happens with a game, it is one of those moments when you feel in complete control.

EmperorIng, I think you will be fine, lukester is correct, the only thing you will be missing is the item names.

Elder

« Reply #3499 on: October 04, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »
The last two Turbo games I played were Godzilla and The Dynastic Hero.  I had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.  I'll keep Street Fighter II ;)

As for The Dynastic Hero, that's one I always enjoyed.  I find it a better version of Wonder Boy in Monster World.  I enjoy the cut-scenes, the more fleshed out storyline, and naturally that awesome CD-quality music :)

EmperorIng

« Reply #3500 on: October 05, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
EmperorIng, I think you will be fine, lukester is correct, the only thing you will be missing is the item names.
I did read somewhere that what shop items are available is affected by your stats (CP?). Is the idea to just mix-n-match armor until your CP is as high as it can be in any given shop? Or did I get my facts wrong?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3501 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »
I had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.

You are dead to me.  :|
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

lukester

« Reply #3502 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
I did read somewhere that what shop items are available is affected by your stats (CP?). Is the idea to just mix-n-match armor until your CP is as high as it can be in any given shop? Or did I get my facts wrong?

If you save up for the Crystal Armor, Crystal Sword and Crystal Shield, you will not need to bother buying other stuff for a while

I won't say where that stuff is, but it's in an area only Mouse Man can reach.

The Bird form's best shield is not the Legendary Shield, but it is found in a shop elsewhere.

Unless you are that crazy about playing a Japanese copy on original hardware, I would highly recommend buying the game on the Wii VC or just emulating. Why waste time with moonrunes?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:45:57 AM by lukester »

EmperorIng

« Reply #3503 on: October 05, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
In a game that has so little text, there's little time wasted.

These Wonder Boy games are not Cosmic Fantasy or Auleria.

in99flames

« Reply #3504 on: October 06, 2015, 03:14:25 AM »
What turbo game are we playing.....well i just moved so everything is still in boxes...but i think I will tackle Dungeon Explorer. I am new to turbo(only 1 year) and this is one i need to conquer.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Elder

« Reply #3505 on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:44 AM »
I had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.

You are dead to me.  :|

Lol, sorry Necro :(  I am a big fan of Godzilla movies, but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into the fighting.  I love the style of the game, and the build-up to the fights, but yeah, the actual gameplay just wasn't my cup of tea I suppose.

IvanBeavkov

« Reply #3506 on: October 06, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »

Yes that's correct. That number is your charisma, if it is not high enough the shop keeper won't sell to you. So switch to the armor that increases your CP the most before entering a shop then switch back when done. Also enemies sometimes drop magic stones that perminatly increase your CP by 1.

grolt

« Reply #3507 on: October 06, 2015, 06:19:44 AM »
Made it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

There's no question the music is best in the TG-CD version (even better than the arcade, really), but it's a toss up for graphics between the Genny and TG.  The Genny has parallax scrolling in every level, sharper edging and better sprites for the main character (there's animated flight in the Genny and just a static sprite in the TG-CD).  The TG has naturally better colors, animates smoother, and generally has bigger, better-looking bosses.  I guess the main takeaway is that it's a good time whatever version you're playing!
I'm a notorious strange man.

Punch

« Reply #3508 on: October 06, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
Sharper edging? What does that mean?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3509 on: October 06, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
just a static sprite in the TG-CD

Le wut?  It's more subtle than in the Genny version, but the dragon flaps his wings and wiggles his tail.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles