Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91638 times)

lukester

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3555 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
What's...uh...with the "Showtime" dances after you finish a world though?

What? You don't like Master Higgins with a bra? ;)

A nice little diversion to give the player a break in between levels. One of several reasons why New Adventure Island is better than many 16-bit platformers, imo.

grolt

« Reply #3556 on: November 08, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
What's...uh...with the "Showtime" dances after you finish a world though?

What? You don't like Master Higgins with a bra? ;)

A nice little diversion to give the player a break in between levels. One of several reasons why New Adventure Island is better than many 16-bit platformers, imo.

Between this and the Bonks, is there a Hudson platformer that DOESN'T feature cross dressing of some sort!?  :D
I'm a notorious strange man.

martinine

« Reply #3557 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
I've been playing Bonk's Adventure this weekend. It's been a long time since I played through the original, and it's been a fun little romp!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

nopepper

« Reply #3558 on: November 08, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
Just beat Lords of Thunder. What an amazing game!

Great stage design, imaginative enemies and an epic soundtrack. And a cool shop.

Definitely the "Rondo of shooters". A+ stuff

I agree. I consider LoT and Rondo of Blood the top reasons to own a PCE Duo.

I'm currently playing Formation Armed F and I'm absolutely floored at how good it is. I know "underrated" gets thrown around liberally, but in this case, it's absolutely applicable. This game is not only underrated, but I'm finding it to be absolutely brilliant, with great level designs, wonderful music and tough, but fair gameplay. I've found that using the continue trick is an absolute must to learn the levels, but after memorizing sections, it's actually very doable to complete in a single credit, and the journey is very rewarding. This one will be in circulation until the day I die, along with the all time greats!

lukester

« Reply #3559 on: November 09, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »

Great stage design, imaginative enemies and an epic soundtrack. And a cool shop.

I'm currently playing Formation Armed F and I'm absolutely floored at how good it is.

These two statements do not mix...It's nice to meet a fellow Lords of Thunder fan but I'm confused how you can consider AMF in the same league.

I have given Formation Armed F an honest try, but it most definitely isn't a top level pce shooter. The music is okay but repetitive, the graphics are really weak, dull level design and boring stretches of nothing.

What other shooters have you played? I'm kinda curious.

ginoscope

« Reply #3560 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 2

Always wanted to finish that game but man was that a test of my patience.  The last part of the game had random encounters every few steps.  The plus side was I didn't really need to grind to finish the game.  Now on to the next game which I am not sure what it is just yet.

johnnykonami

« Reply #3561 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:04 AM »
I threw in Buster Bros. for a little bit last night, been years since I played it last.  I don't think I ever got totally to the end.  This time I think I got to the Taj Mahal, I forget exactly but about 20 levels in or so.  Great game and glad to have it in my library.  Gotta love that easy listening CD music!

nopepper

« Reply #3562 on: November 10, 2015, 08:03:12 AM »

I'm currently playing Formation Armed F and I'm absolutely floored at how good it is.

These two statements do not mix...It's nice to meet a fellow Lords of Thunder fan but I'm confused how you can consider AMF in the same league.

I have given Formation Armed F an honest try, but it most definitely isn't a top level pce shooter. The music is okay but repetitive, the graphics are really weak, dull level design and boring stretches of nothing.

What other shooters have you played? I'm kinda curious.

What other shooters have I played? How much time do you have?!?

Shooters, shoot em ups, shmups, etc. are probably my favorite genre. So I've played pretty much...everything. If it helps put things into perspective, here are some of my favorites:

DoDonPachi
Lords of Thunder
Thunder Force III
Radiant Silvergun
RType
MUSHA
Ketsui
Battle Garegga
Galaga

We should see how Armed F ages among some of my favorites, but I truly like it a lot and I never felt the "dull level design and boring stretches of nothing" you mention. On the contrary, I feel like it's consistently intense and every level brings forth a new challenge. I also think the music is fantastic. The graphics are nothing special, but I don't think of them as ugly.

In a lot of ways, this game reminds me of the classic Mega Man games. Challenging and satisfying games with great level designs, with not technically impressive graphics that are still pleasing, and with fantastic music.

I know it must be sacrilegious to make these comparisons and put this shooter up there with some of the best games ever, but I really feel it's brilliant. To each their own...

munchiaz

« Reply #3563 on: November 12, 2015, 06:19:43 AM »
I've been playing Imagefight here and there. Game is really hard. It has that R-type (makes sense its IREM) feel where if you die in a certain spot and lose your power ups you are pretty much f*cked, and are better served starting over.

ginoscope

« Reply #3564 on: November 12, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Been playing Exile the last two days and I am quite surprised how good this game is.  My brother played this game when it came out and I never got around to playing it.  I really like the mixture of RPG and action and how everyone let's Sadler do all the work lol.

grendelrt

« Reply #3565 on: November 13, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »

Always wanted to finish that game but man was that a test of my patience.  The last part of the game had random encounters every few steps.  The plus side was I didn't really need to grind to finish the game.  Now on to the next game which I am not sure what it is just yet.
I am playing this now and I am not sure if I am going to be able to do it.  The amount of random battles is ridiculous, it really hamper exploration when you feel you get punished for making a wrong turn.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

johnnykonami

« Reply #3566 on: November 13, 2015, 06:17:18 AM »
Been playing Exile the last two days and I am quite surprised how good this game is.  My brother played this game when it came out and I never got around to playing it.  I really like the mixture of RPG and action and how everyone let's Sadler do all the work lol.

Exile is a favorite of mine, I've always loved the theme and the music from the game.  I still have my original Exile, but I think I had some kind of disdain for the sequel so I traded it away.  I wish I hadn't though, I'd like to give it another spin and see what I think of it today.  I at least finished it a few times before I traded it though.

I don't think I could play through CF2 today like I did as a kid for the reasons you stated.  I think even then I remember being frustrated with the RPG part of the game.  Awesome cutscenes though, and for that it will always have a special place in my heart.

ginoscope

« Reply #3567 on: November 13, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »

I am playing this now and I am not sure if I am going to be able to do it.  The amount of random battles is ridiculous, it really hamper exploration when you feel you get punished for making a wrong turn.

Early on in the game is the worse because you tend to only have one character.  So you hit once and then wait for each enemy to hit.  The loading is kind of slow but overall I enjoyed it.  At the end of the game with 4 character the battles get a lot easier.

grendelrt

« Reply #3568 on: November 13, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »

Early on in the game is the worse because you tend to only have one character.  So you hit once and then wait for each enemy to hit.  The loading is kind of slow but overall I enjoyed it.  At the end of the game with 4 character the battles get a lot easier.

Yeah I have been using the turbo switch to get through battles right now lol

EmperorIng

« Reply #3569 on: November 15, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »
Still grinding away, literally, on Auleria. The game is in its final act and things are starting to get very tedious.

It is not very climactic when the enemy's primary way of killing you is merely running into you, abusing your small amount of invincibility-frames between hits and the slowness of your attacks. This is especially aggravating when on the game's Castlevania-esque stairs, where you are guaranteed a few pot-shots from enemies while you awkwardly lumber upward. The way enemies randomly spawn offscreen, constantly, means you are almost always assured of being blindsided as you move forward, with teeth-grating results.

I feel that at the end of the game I should be using my skills against truly fearsome foes and demons, not small gray rodents that take off 25% of your health because they dumbly run into you and you can't move out of the way. Though there are probably some out there that say I'm not playing with enough "strategy." The only strategy in the game is to crouch in front of an enemy and mash the attack button.