Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91421 times)

ginoscope

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3570 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
Finished Exile and what a great game I can't believe I have never played this before.  I have owned the game for ages.

So I started playing Exile Wicked Phenomenon and this game is stupid hard.  I wonder if there are any codes for this game.  I usually don't resort to that but I hear working design screwed up the enemies in this game.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3571 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »
I found that the game gets better once you flip the power switch.

IvanBeavkov

« Reply #3572 on: November 17, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
Finished Exile and what a great game I can't believe I have never played this before.  I have owned the game for ages.

So I started playing Exile Wicked Phenomenon and this game is stupid hard.  I wonder if there are any codes for this game.  I usually don't resort to that but I hear working design screwed up the enemies in this game.
It is very hard but beatable. A couple of tips:

1. Grind levels, it is annoying but will make most of the game a little easier, at least till you hit the level cap.
2. Use 2 of the same healing items in a row, without leaving the menu. This has a chance of fully restoring your health. I think this works with any of them, but I am sure it works with the best healing item the peyote (sp).

If I remember correctly people complained the first one was too easy so Working Designs tweaked it to make it harder, and they ran out of time and tweaked it too hard. I think they weren't sure if it could be beaten, it can but the last level took some memorization and in some sections I took less damage just walking through and past an enemy instead of trying to kill them.

ginoscope

« Reply #3573 on: November 17, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »

1. Grind levels, it is annoying but will make most of the game a little easier, at least till you hit the level cap.
2. Use 2 of the same healing items in a row, without leaving the menu. This has a chance of fully restoring your health. I think this works with any of them, but I am sure it works with the best healing item the peyote (sp).

If I remember correctly people complained the first one was too easy so Working Designs tweaked it to make it harder, and they ran out of time and tweaked it too hard. I think they weren't sure if it could be beaten, it can but the last level took some memorization and in some sections I took less damage just walking through and past an enemy instead of trying to kill them.

Awesome thanks for the tip I am already on level 7 with my characters.  Last boss I fought I just memorized his pattern and never got hit but I was hacking at him for a long time lol.

IvanBeavkov

« Reply #3574 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

Awesome thanks for the tip I am already on level 7 with my characters.  Last boss I fought I just memorized his pattern and never got hit but I was hacking at him for a long time lol.
Ah yes, memorization of the boss patterns is key. There is more than one boss that took 30 min to beat. Now granted I was using Rumi who has the weakest attack.

The JP version is much much easier. I got that one a couple of years ago just to see how much easier it was. I beat the entire game in a little over 2 hours and I was not at max level at the end.

Punch

« Reply #3575 on: November 17, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

Underrated game. That shitty HG101 review (which was obviously done by loading the game in an emulator for half an hour max) doesn't help.
This is a game that really stacks everything against your favor and you cannot die even once because of the power up system, but it is a solid, challenging game. I'm hoping to beat it this week (which will be essentially a 1 life clear, because anything else is basically impossible).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:16:28 PM by Punch »

lukester

« Reply #3576 on: November 17, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
What's the best route for Darius? Farthest I could ever get was stage 5

Punch

« Reply #3577 on: November 17, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
What's the best route for Darius? Farthest I could ever get was stage 5

I like to do ABDHL-- taking into consideration the difficulty of the bosses but as you can see it's not a full path since I didn't beat it yet. Not sure about L, it has a very difficult layout to navigate (and crashing ship into background is one of the few things that are guaranteed to kill you with one hit)

Boss from A and B are easy, D is ok but G is overly difficult. I was trying to do all up (ABDGKPZ) but G boss is really that hard. Shame because the level layout is fun.

edit: arafgafgafcdf almost beat it. I shouldn't stay up late to play 1986 arcade shooters though.

ABDHMRW was the path taken.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:11:54 PM by Punch »

EmperorIng

« Reply #3578 on: November 17, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »
I'm hoping to beat it this week (which will be essentially a 1 life clear, because anything else is basically impossible).

If you can manage to upgrade your shot all the way to the Wave powerup, you will be very-well set for beating the game.

The levels are fairly accurate to the arcade (which I have 1CC'd), despite the screen change.

I don't know how much this will help, but the arcade route that is typically the easiest is ABEIMRX, with X-Octopus being the easiest of the final bosses. However, since Super Darius has different bosses in stages 2-6 (fun fact: these were actually originally cut from the arcade game due to space constraints), so it might be different.

I typically find that the stages are far harder in Darius than the bosses are, though i don't have enough experience with Super Darius' bosses.

MattJ

« Reply #3579 on: November 18, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
Just finished up Book I of Ys: Book I&II. Book II will have to wait until later when work settles down.  :roll:

My only prior experience with the Ys series was playing Ys III on the SNES as a kid, so the over the top world view instead of side scrolling was a bit of an adjustment. I didn't even know about Book I & II, so I was always curious why there was suddenly a game III that was out when I had never heard of the first two.

All I can say is... WOW... what a great game! :)

Admittedly, I was skeptical at first about the "bump into your enemies instead of swinging a sword" gameplay but I found I adjusted to it fairly quickly. It also made grinding and leveling up seem easier. There were some cryptic moments to the game that left me puzzled (the mirror section mainly) but overall, I was really, really, impressed by the game (and I'm not even technically done with it yet, Book II awaits!).
It is another example of where I wish I could go back in time and visit "8-year old me" - show myself this game and say "The TurboGrax exists and you are SO missing out by not having one!!".

nopepper

« Reply #3580 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
It is another example of where I wish I could go back in time and visit "8-year old me" - show myself this game and say "The TurboGrax exists and you are SO missing out by not having one!!".

Ignorance is bliss.

Unlike you, I was fully aware of the existence of this game when it came out, but I (meaning, my mom) was already invested in the Sega Genesis, so there was no way I was getting a TGCD as well. I had played part 1 in the SMS and it was one my favorites, which made my anticipation to play the Turbo version even more arduous. I had to wait until I had enough disposable income in my early 20s before I could play it.

So yeah, ignorance is bliss.

johnnykonami

« Reply #3581 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »
Just started Ys IV, I am using NightWolve's english translation (thanks man!) and I'm looking forward to completing the Ys saga as far as the PCE is concerned.  I beat the other 3 games as a kid many times, but I only got a copy of IV a few years ago and hadn't really sat down to play it just yet.

gheebee

« Reply #3582 on: November 19, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »
Started on Bikkuriman World the other day and I like it despite my many complaints about the game, so far I've made it to level 8 and will probably stick with it for a bit.

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #3583 on: November 19, 2015, 05:14:32 AM »
Played through some Beyond Shadowgate last night and kept an open mind.  I know the game isn't for everyone, but I am actually enjoying it so far.  My son is getting a kick out solving the puzzles, so I think I am going to see this one through. 

Johnny, I'm hoping to get in to Ys IV at some point soon as well - how are you enjoying it?

johnnykonami

« Reply #3584 on: November 19, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
Played through some Beyond Shadowgate last night and kept an open mind.  I know the game isn't for everyone, but I am actually enjoying it so far.  My son is getting a kick out solving the puzzles, so I think I am going to see this one through. 

Johnny, I'm hoping to get in to Ys IV at some point soon as well - how are you enjoying it?

Still a bit early but it's great so far.  Gonna play some more tonight probably, I'll post some more impressions after that.  Some cool looking cinemas so far, not half bad english VO so decent work by the guys who recorded it, and a nice classic Falcom feel overall which is something I've missed from their newer releases.  Nothing against the newer games, but I prefer the art style from this era, the newer ones are a little bit more sterile feeling to me.