Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91575 times)

ginoscope

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3630 on: December 25, 2015, 04:05:07 AM »
Finished up Ys recently. Plan to play Cosmic Fantasy 2 but it needs to arrive first, so probably not until next week.

In the mean time I'll probably just play something really fun again such as Super Star Soldier or Kaizo Chojin Shubibinman 3.

I just finished Cosmic Fantasy 2 recently and it's a really good game.  Keep in mind it's an old RPG so the grinding and numerous random battles can get really tedious.  Overall it's a really good game if you have the patience for old school RPGs

Gypsy

« Reply #3631 on: December 25, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »
Finished up Ys recently. Plan to play Cosmic Fantasy 2 but it needs to arrive first, so probably not until next week.

In the mean time I'll probably just play something really fun again such as Super Star Soldier or Kaizo Chojin Shubibinman 3.

I just finished Cosmic Fantasy 2 recently and it's a really good game.  Keep in mind it's an old RPG so the grinding and numerous random battles can get really tedious.  Overall it's a really good game if you have the patience for old school RPGs

Yeah I had a fairly good idea of what I'm getting into here and you pretty much confirmed it. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it.

technozombie

« Reply #3632 on: December 25, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »
I've been enjoying my Dynastic Hero booty, I'm all the way to the ice area. I was thinking that I had beaten the Genesis version, but now that I'm playing through TCD version I'm not sure I did. I also recently got Atlantean, It's an awesome game but it totally kicks my ass.

martinine

« Reply #3633 on: December 26, 2015, 01:19:58 AM »
Scored a Turbostick for Christmas, so I have been playing a lot of Blazing Lazers. The stick really gives it a serious arcade feel. Love it!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3634 on: December 28, 2015, 04:05:00 AM »
R-type.

Yeah, I am not good at R-type. Still fun though!

(was playing Dynastic Hero but one of the bosses--the dual dragons, one on the left and one on the right of the screen---was PISSING ME THE F OFF!!!)

gheebee

« Reply #3635 on: December 28, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
Played a bit of Dragon's Curse and Bikkuriman World today. In both I got to the last level but wound up quitting because I just couldn't take any more of either game. Maybe someday I'll try them again but for now I've really had enough of both.

(was playing Dynastic Hero but one of the bosses--the dual dragons, one on the left and one on the right of the screen---was PISSING ME THE F OFF!!!)

This is the only Wonder Boy game that I've ever beaten and I wish that the bosses in Bikkuriman World and Dragon's Curse were as easy as any of the bosses in The Dynastic Hero. For the boss you're talking about I just stand on the platform in the middle of the room, wait for them to shoot the blue square at you, jump over the square, hit them, jump over the boulder(s), return to the platform, and repeat until they're both dead.

Groover

« Reply #3636 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:27 AM »
Finally found the missing 4% in Rondo. It was a room on lower level 4. Love that game. I wanted to get that 100% before the year was out.

grolt

« Reply #3637 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
The lady and I had a lot of fun swimming around in SPLASH LAKE.  It has a low barrier to entry and is easy to pick up and play, the difficulty level ramps up at a very steady but manageable pace.  It plays great in two player mode, and all the extras and bonus levels keep the replay value high.  We'd get stumped on a few levels, but the game is well designed in that it will reward (and require) different strategies to complete.  There's some personality to the game with some of the characters (cigarette smoking stump? compulsively shitting bird?), the (admittedly pretty lame) "Ostrich Theater", and the slightly cinematic closing screen.  Like another of my favorite puzzle/platform hybrids that also features a bird, PENGUIN LAND on the Master System, this is a game that's simple in presentation but long on fun.  Great little game.

I also started rummaging around GHOST MANOR, and it's a pretty idiosyncratic game with a lot of quirks, but once you start to figure out the weird psychology of the game (took me FOREVER to realize you jump on the ghosts for a ride up in the first level) it gets pretty fun.  The animation is appealing and the physics and momentum of the game give it polish along the lines of Mario or Sonic.  For all the platformers that are out there, few deal with physics in as good a way as the two big mascots, so it's nice to play around with it here.  Perhaps the best part for me is that it's actually a horror platformer that's PLAYABLE on the system - unlike NIGHT CREATURES, which has neverending respawning enemies and cheap deaths galore, this one gives you plenty of life and time to explore.  Looking forward to getting further in this game in the future.
I'm a notorious strange man.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3638 on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »

1CC'd Gate of Thunder. Felt pretty good, though the game on the whole is very easy - at least on Normal difficulty. Devil is pretty chaotic; I don't know if I have the patience for it.

This game is good. Not Thunder Force III "easy but excellent" good, but close. It sometimes is a little self-indulgent showing off its graphics at the expense of slow, uneventful sections where you stand still (sometimes without having to shoot anything!). Bosses look great but have pretty pitiful attack patterns (usually 1, sometimes 2 easy-to-dodge salvos). All in all though it's a very likable game.

technozombie

« Reply #3639 on: December 30, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

1CC'd Gate of Thunder. Felt pretty good, though the game on the whole is very easy - at least on Normal difficulty. Devil is pretty chaotic; I don't know if I have the patience for it.

This game is good. Not Thunder Force III "easy but excellent" good, but close. It sometimes is a little self-indulgent showing off its graphics at the expense of slow, uneventful sections where you stand still (sometimes without having to shoot anything!). Bosses look great but have pretty pitiful attack patterns (usually 1, sometimes 2 easy-to-dodge salvos). All in all though it's a very likable game.

I can get to the 3rd boss without dieing and then I use up most of my lives on him.  Any advice?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3640 on: December 30, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
If you're playing on normal and get to him with the options and either the green or red weapons, he's easy: stay near the floor between the center bit and side arm things, hitting him with the angled option fire when the center bit drops; the big balls will pass above you, so all you have to dodge is the blue star projectile fired after the bit drop.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

EmperorIng

« Reply #3641 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
The boss fires so few shots that you can snuggle up right next to his weak point, dodge the incoming shots from his arms, and then move to the opposite side once he changes positions - flipping your options will make quick work of him. He dies in seconds.

Also, the red missile is the strongest weapon in the game by far. If possible, use just that (or the blue laser) on bosses. The wave is too weak to be relied upon in the latter half of the game, except for swarms of weaker enemies.

jtucci31

« Reply #3642 on: December 30, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
For that boss, when it comes time to hit him when he's firing the blue projectiles, I'll wedge myself in between the pillars and go to the very top. The blue/red shot can destroy it pretty quickly and if yout ship is all the way up you won't get hit by the blue projectiles, you'll just need to duck out of there when it all starts moving

What he said too ^^^

technozombie

« Reply #3643 on: December 30, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
It's been a few months since I played. I'll try this advice out soon.

grolt

« Reply #3644 on: January 01, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »
Have been playing quite a bit of VEIGUES TACTICAL GLADIATOR lately.  When you initially look at the game, it looks like it would be incredibly cumbersome with the big sprites and limited character movement, but once you settle into the game and accustom yourself to the interesting (but expansive!) control system it really becomes a deep and satisfying playing experience.  I love the strategy in choosing how you upgrade your gladiator dude, and the multiple strategies you can use when attacking bosses and enemies.  There are multiple ways to approach each level, using close range left arm attacks, firing away from a corner using your right arm, or aiming away with the chest cannon.  Then there's all the physics of timing jumps and hovering and all that.  It's really a surprisingly good game that doesn't have a lot of peers when it comes to the style and gameplay.  Can anyone tell me if there are any other kinds of games like this or any spiritual sequels or other games from the developer on the PC Engine or otherwise?
I'm a notorious strange man.