Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91528 times)

EmperorIng

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3645 on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
For auto-scrolling mech games, I think Data East did it best with Wolf Fang - which is available for a costly Sega Saturn port, or for cheap on PSN (and I think the PS1 port is considered superior).

For non-auto-scrolling mech sidescrollers, the best for my money are Masaya's Leynos/Valken series. with Assault Suits Valken (SFC) being one of the highlights of the 16bit generation.

esteban

« Reply #3646 on: January 01, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »

Have been playing quite a bit of VEIGUES TACTICAL GLADIATOR lately.  When you initially look at the game, it looks like it would be incredibly cumbersome with the big sprites and limited character movement, but once you settle into the game and accustom yourself to the interesting (but expansive!) control system it really becomes a deep and satisfying playing experience.  I love the strategy in choosing how you upgrade your gladiator dude, and the multiple strategies you can use when attacking bosses and enemies.  There are multiple ways to approach each level, using close range left arm attacks, firing away from a corner using your right arm, or aiming away with the chest cannon.  Then there's all the physics of timing jumps and hovering and all that.  It's really a surprisingly good game that doesn't have a lot of peers when it comes to the style and gameplay.  Can anyone tell me if there are any other kinds of games like this or any spiritual sequels or other games from the developer on the PC Engine or otherwise?

I agree. It is a surprisingly satisfying experience that offers a few different choices/strategies for attacking different enemies. The physics actually work and don't seem nearly as cumbersome as one would expect. It does not feel overwhelming/unmanageable to switch between weapons/dodging/hovering/etc.

I just wish it offered a higher difficulty setting.

Play Browning (PCE CD) and cry.  Browning is a flawed game that should have been significantly better...if only it had borrowed elements of Veigues!

TRIVIA: I love hovering, chest cannon and dodging in Veigues.
  |    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #3647 on: January 01, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
Browning is what happens when you spend all your time making 8 cool sprites and then forget about everything else.

NightWolve

« Reply #3648 on: January 01, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
Browning is what happens when...

Darn, I thought a good poop joke was coming as I started to read that. ;)

esteban

« Reply #3649 on: January 02, 2016, 03:55:58 AM »
Browning is a "crowning" achievement...

Thank you, medical terminology...
  |    | 

grolt

« Reply #3650 on: January 02, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
Thanks for the little lesson, Ing and esteban.  Definitely will seek some of that stuff out - love me my Saturn so I'll try to find a decently priced Wolf Fang there.

I get VEIGUES a little rest because SOLDIER BLADE showed up in the mail and I had to pop that in.  So far it's great.  Hudson really does a good job tweaking the formula just enough with the SOLDIER series to make the next entry feel fresh but still familiar.  Endless continues sure helps, and I think that's the way to do it - let someone continue to tackle the level from the beginning until they master it rather than forcing them to slog through the previous levels again only to get stymied on that same level again.  The difficulty is such where, like R-Type, if you spend enough time learning the patterns you can position yourself in the later levels to eek through.  Tons of variety in enemies and attack patterns, each boss is different and full of surprises, and each level does something interesting with the background and setting to keep things from getting stale.  What a great series!
I'm a notorious strange man.

technozombie

« Reply #3651 on: January 02, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Just finished Dynastic Hero, thanks again for those who made it possible for me to play it.  I had never really thought about how it was a Metroidvania type of game, before Castlevania ever started doing it. I guess Metroidworld isn't as catchy as Metroidvania. I definitely had a good time playing, but I think I liked Dragon's Curse a bit better.

grolt

« Reply #3652 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
I definitely had a good time playing, but I think I liked Dragon's Curse a bit better.

Agreed.  I really admire the level design in Dragon's Curse, how you can go through the same little world 5 different times and get a different experience each time based on what form you're currently sporting.  By comparison, Dynastic Hero is more of a polished Wonder Boy in Monster Land, solid but pretty straightforward.  For me, Dragon's Curse is one of the best platformers ever made.

Finished SOLDIER BLADE today.  What a kickass game.  I was able to do pretty well at it, but Stage 6 really took it to me for hours until I could finally figure out the end boss there.  Thank god for the power shots and the invincibility kamikazes!  Once I made it to the final boss rush stage it was relatively a cakewalk in comparison, with really the first boss being the most challenging.  Loved the game and the difficulty - it was just right.  To my surprise the Challenge Mode is a real great time too - a whole other level that's just filled with easy things to blast away.  With the extra modes and the score save function (don't know why more games didn't utilize this from the get go with the TurboBooster), this shooter has the most polish on the Turbo from all the games I've tried thus far.

I was never much of a shooter fan before I really started to dive deep (literally in Deep Blue!) into the TG-16 library, but now they're some of my favorite games and I can't seem to get enough.  I'm addicted - help!
I'm a notorious strange man.

Gypsy

« Reply #3653 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
Fired up Cosmic Fantasy 2. It's pretty much what I expected.

Dangeross

« Reply #3654 on: January 05, 2016, 05:01:42 AM »
First Post, thanks for letting me in the community.

I never had or played a TG16 growing up so now at 38 I finally snagged one. I did an A/V mod right away and that worked great but had issues with the controller not working all of the time. If I wiggled the connector it would work sometimes so I assumed it was the port and did all kinds of fixes and testing. In the end a pin inside the controller end was broken so it only made contact once in a while hence the wiggling.

Anyway I ordered a new controller and I am currently waiting to get it, I got to play about 10 minutes of Legendary Axe and can't wait to play through it. I'm really excited to have an entire pool of games I know nothing about really, I currently only have 6 games (Legendary Axe, Order of the Griffon, Victory Run, Keith Courage, Space Harrier, and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf)

Any recommendations for games to try and find?

Thanks

MNKyDeth

« Reply #3655 on: January 05, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »

Thanks

Btw, welcome to the forum.

What type of games are you mostly into, there are a ton of great games. But if you want to focus on a certain area/type of game, it might help to know your interests. :)

ginoscope

« Reply #3656 on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:14 AM »
First Post, thanks for letting me in the community.

I never had or played a TG16 growing up so now at 38 I finally snagged one. I did an A/V mod right away and that worked great but had issues with the controller not working all of the time. If I wiggled the connector it would work sometimes so I assumed it was the port and did all kinds of fixes and testing. In the end a pin inside the controller end was broken so it only made contact once in a while hence the wiggling.

Anyway I ordered a new controller and I am currently waiting to get it, I got to play about 10 minutes of Legendary Axe and can't wait to play through it. I'm really excited to have an entire pool of games I know nothing about really, I currently only have 6 games (Legendary Axe, Order of the Griffon, Victory Run, Keith Courage, Space Harrier, and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf)

Thanks

Hey there and welcome to the forum.  If you want to know more about games I would recommend checking out this youtube channel.  It's from one of our members and he does a great job reviewing games for the TG16/PCE.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spida1a
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:21:38 AM by ginoscope »

Dangeross

« Reply #3657 on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
I'm into RPG's and action/adventure type games mostly.

gheebee

« Reply #3658 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
Just finished playing a bit of Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and managed to make it to level 14. I got a bit farther than I've ever gotten before but it always seems like I lose the majority of my lives in this game around the same time. Like it doesn't matter how good I'm doing or where I am, if I die then I'll usually die again not long after. The game is frustrating but in spite of this it is probably my most played CD game. They really did a good job on this one, especially on the music but the graphics are nice too.

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3659 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
Just finished playing a bit of Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and managed to make it to level 14. I got a bit farther than I've ever gotten before but it always seems like I lose the majority of my lives in this game around the same time. Like it doesn't matter how good I'm doing or where I am, if I die then I'll usually die again not long after. The game is frustrating but in spite of this it is probably my most played CD game. They really did a good job on this one, especially on the music but the graphics are nice too.

If you don't become frustrated, there are so many weapon pickups that you can easily get back into the game.

Of course, I know that the game is challenging...it took me YEARS to beat the damn game ;)
  |    |