Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91739 times)

seieienbu

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3810 on: June 20, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
I picked up Shubibinman 3 over the weekend and played it through for the first time today.  It was crazy and fun with lots of varied backgrounds and gameplay ideas.  However, it seemed a bit on the easy side with how your life meter is huge and enemies keep dropping healing items that looked a bit like cans of soda or something.

I've wanted to play it since finally getting and beating Shockman last year at some point.  I'll probably get ahold of the first one at some point since I've played and enjoyed the other two.  Though I've heard it's the weakest entry in the series I'm still curious to see how it stacks up.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #3811 on: June 20, 2016, 10:58:33 PM »
I picked up Shubibinman 3 over the weekend and played it through for the first time today.  It was crazy and fun with lots of varied backgrounds and gameplay ideas.  However, it seemed a bit on the easy side with how your life meter is huge and enemies keep dropping healing items that looked a bit like cans of soda or something.

I've wanted to play it since finally getting and beating Shockman last year at some point.  I'll probably get ahold of the first one at some point since I've played and enjoyed the other two.  Though I've heard it's the weakest entry in the series I'm still curious to see how it stacks up.

Shubibinman 3 is WAY TOO EASY. The default difficulty should have been higher (they could have provided an "easy" mode in options).

:)
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #3812 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:32 AM »
I once started Shubibinman 3, fell asleep and then when I woke up the game had beat itself.

jtucci31

« Reply #3813 on: June 21, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »
Been playing Bomberman 93 to get that beat for the thread. I'm on the final set of levels but man does it get tough. 1cc'ing any Bomberman game seems like a pretty big challenge, so continuing a bunch for me is just fine.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #3814 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »
I once started Shubibinman 3, fell asleep and then when I woke up the game had beat itself.

I lol'd. This game is terribly short, but still great fun.

Currently playing Star Parodier. Fun chewty-times.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Gypsy

« Reply #3815 on: June 21, 2016, 01:41:42 PM »
Yeah it's definitely a fun game. I had a fair bit of fun with that entire series.

I'll be able to pick up Soldier Blade tomorrow.  :dance: For now though, I'll be playing some Keith Courage this evening.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3816 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »

Shubibinman 3 is WAY TOO EASY. The default difficulty should have been higher (they could have provided an "easy" mode in options).

I think it goes beyond that. I honestly wonder if they coded the game much beyond the enemies' basic movement patterns. It feels like you are running the game in debug mode: you can kill bosses while they have their long monologues*, and it feels as if most enemies only ever walk towards you without doing anything else.

Shubibinman 2 is a crappy game, but it feels as if it had some effort put into more than just the sprites.

*while at first I thought this was a funny and intentional comedy moment for midbosses like the train conductor, when you could do it to the final boss and have him die not 2 seconds into the actual battle music, it became clear to me that it was a glitch or unfinished aspect of the game they never bothered to tune up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:14:45 PM by EmperorIng »

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3817 on: June 22, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »

I think it goes beyond that. I honestly wonder if they coded the game much beyond the enemies' basic movement patterns. It feels like you are running the game in debug mode: you can kill bosses while they have their long monologues*, and it feels as if most enemies only ever walk towards you without doing anything else.

Shubibinman 2 is a crappy game, but it feels as if it had some effort put into more than just the sprites.

*while at first I thought this was a funny and intentional comedy moment for midbosses like the train conductor, when you could do it to the final boss and have him die not 2 seconds into the actual battle music, it became clear to me that it was a glitch or unfinished aspect of the game they never bothered to tune up.

Ha!

I didn't even try doing much with this game because it presents very little reason to replay/explore. Every few years I play through it. When I first played it, I saw Shubibinman 3 as completely wasted potential. Over the years, I've had to move on and concoct silly theories about its legacy....

I love the aesthetics of Shubibinman 3, but it seems as if the goal was to merely expose the player to a series of set-pieces...and that's it. No game necessary.  Simply experience the set pieces and you will be fulfilled (somehow). I didn't shoot the bosses during the dialogue, though.

In the past, I have argued (only half-jokingly), that Shubibinman 3 was the primordial ooze/inspiration for Gunstar Heroes (but with at least some effort to provide a better game in the latter). Gunstar Heroes presents a series of set-pieces, and thus also suffers from the "this is so kool" (first time playing) to "OMG, how contrived and belabored! Let me play!" (Subsequent play-throughs). I was reminded about my silly, unfounded theories about Shubibinman 3's legacy when I was re-playing that old PlayStation Contra game recently (where you spend a lot of time waiting/watching vehicles...LIKE TRAINS IN TUNNELS...transform into weapons). But I'm rambling...

:)

BACK ON TOPIC: I concur with your main point (Shubibinman 3 was unfinished). Could it simply have been a matter of time and budget? Shubibinman 3 could have easily been tweaked to actually become a proper game... The more I learn about developers and the industry, the less I am surprised that games shipped as-is.

TRUTH: I will happily take Shubibinman 3 over lame garbage like Bravoman.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:08:31 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

wiseau

« Reply #3818 on: June 24, 2016, 03:34:13 AM »
Well i've gotten to a point where i can beat the first two stages of Aero blasters on a single life, but this ship is so damn slow it's almost impossible to dodge anything, even when you know it's coming up.

nopepper

« Reply #3819 on: June 24, 2016, 03:54:15 AM »
Speaking of easy games, I finally gave my shiny CD-R copy of Sylphia a try a couple of days ago and managed to 1CC it on my first run. Beautiful game, loved the colors used in some stages, the haunted techno soundtrack and the overall vibe. Having said that, I found it mediocre, with some bosses taking way too long to beat, so you easily figure out their patterns and just repeat the same moves over and over and defeat them 5 minutes later. Game feels like it needed proper balancing and that it went out the door incomplete.

Now I'm trying Image Fight 2...talk about a night and day difference!

esteban

« Reply #3820 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:41 AM »
Beautiful game, loved the colors used in some stages, the haunted techno soundtrack and the overall vibe.

Yes, the soundtrack to Sylphia is quite nice :)

I concur, it could have been a much stronger, memorable challenge.

Still, it was enjoyable. :)

|    | 

Gredler

« Reply #3821 on: June 26, 2016, 06:57:24 AM »
I started my first attempt at Ys 1 & 2 on Friday night. I was having some beers and wanted to just check out the presentation and gameplay, but we had other music on and I wasn't giving the game my full attention.

The animations were rad, the control was crisp and I really got somewhat addicted to just running around killing stuff then pause to heal, and I did that until I had all of the level 2 gear and adol was leveled to 8. I got a bit confused once I got to the thieves den and shrine, not able to progress so I saved and shut down.

This morning was a bit quieter and I had about an hour to spare and relax. I cranked that stereo up and let those sweet tunes blast l, and hell yeah that music makes a huge difference! I decided to restart and pay attention to the story and got a much better feel for the setting and what to do in the game, so I loaded my leveled up character save and hit the shrine hard.

I'm not sure how to describe my time in the shrine other than it just made so much sense why this game is such a cornerstone for the platform, genre, and media.

I had a blast right until the minute my fiance was ready for Sunday plans, but man I certainly regret not experiencing this earlier, and can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Edit:
I got home and jumped right back in and ran through the rest of book 1. I stumbled a few times; first I didn't have the silver sword when I got to the mine boss, took me a good while to find that. I then got smacked down by the same mantis boss mentioned before but after re-aquiring the silver shield and gaining a couple levels he was a pushover. I don't think it's avoidable but it felt like it could have been avoided when I had to go get the blue amulet from level 11 and then go back up to level 21; I do think that was the worst part of that first "book".

My CD-R skipped and f*cked up during the cutscene, and it made me wish I didn't have a burned copy hahaha - I just re-wached the scene on YouTube and then took a break. I'm looking forward to starting this second game - I am level 33, wondering  if I am too low of level, the mobs rock me now hahah
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:37:42 PM by Gredler »

NightWolve

« Reply #3822 on: June 29, 2016, 04:43:16 PM »
My CD-R skipped and f*cked up during the cutscene, and it made me wish I didn't have a burned copy hahaha - I just re-wached the scene on YouTube and then took a break. I'm looking forward to starting this second game - I am level 33, wondering  if I am too low of level, the mobs rock me now hahah

By skip, do you just mean the accompanying audio stopped playing while the video continued ? If so, cleaning and relubrication with white lithium grease of the pole that the CD lens glides on can fix those issues.

Gredler

« Reply #3823 on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
By skip, do you just mean the accompanying audio stopped playing while the video continued ? If so, cleaning and relubrication with white lithium grease of the pole that the CD lens glides on can fix those issues.

Yes, the audio dropped out and then restarted in the middle of the cutscene borking up the whole presentation!

My duo-r needs to love, the power supply port is finicky as well, so I guess it's time to start researching repairs.

Thanks for the tip sir, I'll start looking into it now!

I'm fiending to go back and play books 2, but I'm too busy with other things until next week :( Ys calling my name!

NightWolve

« Reply #3824 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »
Yes, the audio dropped out and then restarted in the middle of the cutscene borking up the whole presentation!

Ah, hm, normally for the condition where the 20+ year old dried up grease trips up redbook audio playing given the loss of agility, it's not able to resume playing until you trigger another event to start the next audio track (like start another stage, leave a town, etc.). This happens equally for both real pressed CDs and CD-Rs. Anyhow, I'm not sure if cleaning/relubing will solve it for you, but if it's never been done for your system by now, you should do it. It might be time for full capacitor replacement though and worst case, some retuning of the CD pots.