Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91471 times)

EmperorIng

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4050 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
I myself beat Legend of Hero Tonma after using waaay too many continues on the last two levels which I really was not familiar with. The cave level is no joke with constantly spawning enemies and bats that you can't jump on. The rock boss was a real pain for the longest time until I finally noticed the pattern and developed a strategy around it.

The final level is magnificent. Storming that castle with 1,000 endlessly spawning enemies gunning for your chubby little Tommy. Pure chaos. The final boss is memorizing-heavy but looks great.

The game is really quite good. It's one of those games I played for a while on emulator before saying "I ought to own this!" Even if others don't take that path, they should play the game nonetheless!

The Valis 1 remake plays slooooow but is still somehow more fun than Valis 2 IMO.

Having actual levels will do that for you! Yuko is slow in Valis 1 but I'll take that if it actually means having bosses that do more than move left and right while spinning!

Freeway2

« Reply #4051 on: April 05, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
     Playing some Chase H.Q. and S.C.I. Taito goodness tonight.
“If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me”

Serega81

« Reply #4052 on: April 05, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
Just beat Blood Gear

Is Blood Gear perfectly playable even if you don't know English? I've always wanted to try it out as a Wonder Boy fan

Recently, I've played some of my favorites, Bonk 2, Bomberman 93, and Tenchi Wo Kurau. I also managed to beat Atomic Robo Kid in one life!

Blood Gear is in Japanese, but this might help

- a complete video playthrough of blood gear

and a Japanese walkthrough of the game here http://mii5.at.webry.info/200805/article_22.html which you can translate via google translate to English or your language of choice.

If you enjoyed Wonder Boy and love mechs, I highly recommend Blood Gear, it's very reminiscent of Front Mission: Gun Hazard or Cybernator for the Super Nes/Super Famicom if you played those.

Also, since I recently beat it, and you get stuck, feel free to msg me for help.

If you don't like how things are, change it!  You're not a tree!!!!

esteban

« Reply #4053 on: April 07, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
I myself beat Legend of Hero Tonma after using waaay too many continues on the last two levels which I really was not familiar with. The cave level is no joke with constantly spawning enemies and bats that you can't jump on. The rock boss was a real pain for the longest time until I finally noticed the pattern and developed a strategy around it.

The final level is magnificent. Storming that castle with 1,000 endlessly spawning enemies gunning for your chubby little Tommy. Pure chaos. The final boss is memorizing-heavy but looks great.

The game is really quite good. It's one of those games I played for a while on emulator before saying "I ought to own this!" Even if others don't take that path, they should play the game nonetheless!

It is a great game. I place it next to NES Karnov as "totally fun, solid" games that don't get nearly enough love.

I have argued, in the past, that both games produce a similar effect on me...I can't quite place it...but it is a good thing.

Now, I can't find my old posts, but I usually go on and on about how Karnov is the superior game (I love all the items and the thoughtful way you have to use them, which goes hand-in-hand with great level design and nice progression throughout game).

Tonma, in comparison, contains far less creativity, but is still a fun game, nonetheless.
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #4054 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
It'd be cool if some of us could insert English voice acting into the PCE version of Popful Mail similar to what Nightwolve and co. did with Ys IV. And the other cool thing about this version is the cutscenes show different aspects and locations compared to the MD's.
That would be sweet with popful mail

Oh yeah, the means is there. I dunno how much is in ADPCM, but the Redbook tracks were already replaceable of course. I do agree with Victor Ireland though, we got the best version of the game with the Sega Falcom alliance on the Sega CD, so I can't see you ever pestering talents like elmer/Sam to consider a fan translation for it. Sorry my PCE turbro, but I really enjoyed beating Popful Mail years back with a Kega->Feka CD emulator. :P

Strider77

« Reply #4055 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
PC Denjin.....    slept on this for YEARS.

Some games after all the hype, once you get them, it's up in the air how you are gonna feel about them. I like shooters... alot. I've 1CCed Cave stuff, have a ton of shooter PCBs etc. So I was a bit suspicious of possible  "Team 'Engine" hype...      or most the hype generated from folks that casually play shooters.

Well the hype is real...   the game is cool AF. It's gloriously wacky with spastic visuals and colors. The pacing is great with no overly long drawn out parts or stages (granted the last one is long but it switches up so much presentation wise and with what's going on). It's a little beast of a Hucard...    the color is fantastic, so is the parallax with very catchy chip tunes.

It's not overly hard, but it's still challenging enough. Got to the last boss last night, last stage is the only real challenging part for me at this point. But it's very fun and still requires effort and some bosses will still sneak their licks in if I get lazy. It's fun enough that I feel the compulsion to try and kill everything and collect all the point icons....      the way it dishes out those extends helps motivate.

Expectations exceeded by alot. One of my favorite Hucards and shooters on the system.

WTF happened to the sequel on CD?

EmperorIng

« Reply #4056 on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
I bet you different people worked on CD Denjin <(totally unsubstantiated thought)

I really love the colors and sprites on the first Denjin, even if I don't have the game myself.  :mrgreen:

I'm putting the occasional time into KiKi KaiKai and Mr. Heli, two far more "drab" looking games but fun (and frustrating) in their own ways.

KiKi KaiKai I come back to every now and then to see if I can get a little farther - usually, yes. This last time making it to the whip-wielding Buddhist priest. You have to be constantly managing threats from all directions, making this a very stressful game as it wears on. Boss fights especially so given the lack of room to maneuver, your large slowish sprite and enemy attacks.

It's a very tough nut to crack; I hope I can get to the end one of these days.

Mr. Heli remains frustrating. If there is a strategy for that f*cking level 2 boss, aka "the giant sphere that kills you instantly thanks for playing", I'd like to see it. It's such a painfully lame boss and early wall to player progress.

Mathius

« Reply #4057 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »
PC Denjin.....    slept on this for YEARS.

Some games after all the hype, once you get them, it's up in the air how you are gonna feel about them. I like shooters... alot. I've 1CCed Cave stuff, have a ton of shooter PCBs etc. So I was a bit suspicious of possible  "Team 'Engine" hype...      or most the hype generated from folks that casually play shooters.

Well the hype is real...   the game is cool AF. It's gloriously wacky with spastic visuals and colors. The pacing is great with no overly long drawn out parts or stages (granted the last one is long but it switches up so much presentation wise and with what's going on). It's a little beast of a Hucard...    the color is fantastic, so is the parallax with very catchy chip tunes.

It's not overly hard, but it's still challenging enough. Got to the last boss last night, last stage is the only real challenging part for me at this point. But it's very fun and still requires effort and some bosses will still sneak their licks in if I get lazy. It's fun enough that I feel the compulsion to try and kill everything and collect all the point icons....      the way it dishes out those extends helps motivate.

Expectations exceeded by alot. One of my favorite Hucards and shooters on the system.

WTF happened to the sequel on CD?

Let's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual successor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

lukester

« Reply #4058 on: April 19, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
Mr. Heli' level two boss is easy as long as you stick to the middle right Wall and middle ceiling

As he moves towards you, move above him to the middle of the ceiling, and when he re-centers go back down to the side wall

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4059 on: April 20, 2017, 02:36:03 AM »
Let's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual predecessor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.

*fixed*
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #4060 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
Let's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual predecessor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.

*fixed*

Did it really come out before Air Zonk? Well blow me down!

I'm fired
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Gypsy

« Reply #4061 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Coryoon is decent. I'd never recommend paying $300 or w/e the hell it goes for these days though.

roflmao

« Reply #4062 on: April 22, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Coryoon was the first game I played when I got my GameOfYou Flash Card. The engine is so similar to Air Zonk, but man, I find it harder because of all the stuff on screen! What are you trying to grab and what are you trying to avoid? Who knows until you hit it. :D It's gorgeous and colorful and the soundtrack is awesome, but Air Zonk kicks it's ass imo.

waynedoodle

« Reply #4063 on: April 23, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Played some Blazing Lazers tonight.  Great fun until you die and lose your power ups, then for me it's frustrating as hell.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:55:48 PM by waynedoodle »

Punch

« Reply #4064 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Blazing Lasers suffers from the "don't lose the powerups" syndrome most shooters have, especially on the last level boss rush lol.