Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91563 times)

csgx1

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4200 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:38 AM »
Rayxanber II is the more difficult one.  I been playing it on and off for a few years now with some progress.  A few months ago I had a lucky run through level 4 and got to level 6, but that's probably as far as I'll ever get with my meager shooter skills. 

Gypsy

« Reply #4201 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
Thanks. Now I know to play 3 first.  :P

Punch

« Reply #4202 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
Rayxanber 3 is supposed to be the easier one but since I suck ass at shooters I can't pass stage 1-3 (the first boss) lol.  At least I can enjoy the awesome soundtrack in the sound test screen :P

edit: for reference, I can get to the moais in Gradius II and the giant tank boss in Raiden just fine. I just can't figure out the boost mechanics in Rayxanber.

As for Darius PLUS, I really don't think it's all that difficult but maybe I'm just used to it after hundreds of hours playing it. I prefer the CD version but I gave it away to someone here on secret santa so I just play the regular Hu version nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:01:14 AM by Punch »

Green Beret

« Reply #4203 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
Rayxanber 3 is supposed to be the easier one but since I suck ass at shooters I can't pass stage 1-3 (the first boss) lol.  At least I can enjoy the awesome soundtrack in the sound test screen :P

edit: for reference, I can get to the moais in Gradius II and the giant tank boss in Raiden just fine. I just can't figure out the boost mechanics in Rayxanber.

As for Darius PLUS, I really don't think it's all that difficult but maybe I'm just used to it after hundreds of hours playing it. I prefer the CD version but I gave it away to someone here on secret santa so I just play the regular Hu version nowadays.
About Darius Plus Hucard version. I played it a little bit a few days ago for a first time and I found it very difficult. I have experience with G Darius ver2 and Darius Gaiden both on arcade hardware. Darius Plus felt more difficult.

nopepper

« Reply #4204 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
Back on a Dragon Spirit kick! Such good music. I slightly enjoy it more over Saber. Close though.

I just beat Spirit, which must've felt like one of my greatest gaming accomplishments in awhile. The last bit of the last level was the toughest to get through, as I could make it there without getting hit once, but then the wheels always fell off. Thankfully had enough lifes in reserve (7) by then, that I was able to have a lucky run to the boss with a couple of speed ups and finish it off.

Just started Saber, and it feels tame in comparison. Was able to make it to level 5 (that speed chase bit) first day playing it, without breaking a sweat. Graphics are definitely better, music is close, but the level design is much less inspired. Definitely a much more user friendly game, and the dragon has a left/right animation this time, so it has that going for it.

Time will tell which one I think is better, but so far, Spirit is much more satisfying.

nopepper

« Reply #4205 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
R-Type I. I cam make it to 3rd stage. I then meet death

You'll find RType easy until you hit that wall, and it aint in the 3rd level, believe me.

This is one of the most mutherf*cker games in the history of humanity, and its designers should rot in hell for eternity.

crazydean

« Reply #4206 on: August 10, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »
R-Type I. I cam make it to 3rd stage. I then meet death

You'll find RType easy until you hit that wall, and it aint in the 3rd level, believe me.

This is one of the most mutherf*cker games in the history of humanity, and its designers should rot in hell for eternity.

I gave up in the fire level (5?). I got tired of learning a small section only to die shortly afterwards, again and again...and again.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

nopepper

« Reply #4207 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »

I gave up in the fire level (5?). I got tired of learning a small section only to die shortly afterwards, again and again...and again.

I beat the SMS version many, many moons ago. I literally tried to beat that game for over a year before I was able to make it, but then again, this was the late 80s and I was a teenager with a lot more time (and less games) on my hands.

I still love the game and play the Turbo version till the 4th level regularly, but there is no way I can put myself through going past that again, especially in the Turbo version, which is much harder. I've actually tried to fire up PCE RType II, to see if making the 5th level the "first" one would make it easier to memorize, but the game just throws so much random shit sometimes, it just makes me hate the people who made it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:50:40 PM by nopepper »

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4208 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:27 AM »
Yeah R-type is basically a "play until first death" for me. It's a badass feeling when you're powered up--but man are you ultra puny once you die.

I'm not sure I even make level 5 most of the time.  :oops:

Green Beret

« Reply #4209 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:04 AM »
Yeah R-type is basically a "play until first death" for me. It's a badass feeling when you're powered up--but man are you ultra puny once you die.

I'm not sure I even make level 5 most of the time.  :oops:
You are doing great! I play until first death too. I can go until middle level 3 for now but I become better.
I also play R-Type 2 and LEO both on arcade and they are both more difficult than I in PCE. In LEO I miss front protection.

All three are among the best horizontal shmups ever made in my opinion

Digi.k

« Reply #4210 on: August 11, 2017, 03:22:44 AM »
Still playing Tokimeki Memorial

at the start of the 3rd year final semester.  You have a school trip, this vid I picked Okinawa and decided to head out alone and then I was accompanied by Yoshio Saotome your class friend.  There is a section in there where the game where your travelling buddy tells you that there is a focal point to head to...... and then it turns into a turn based RPG.  I think at the focal point the game just forces you to fend off a snake there and just when you are about to lose... a rodent steps in and....  saves the day ?!?!?!?!

Also during the 3rd year final semester.  Around October is the school culture festival and since I've been with the school computer club since the very beginning I unlocked the TwinBee mini game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:25:00 AM by Digi.k »

Punch

« Reply #4211 on: August 11, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »
Farthest I ever went in R-Type was in the piston-train thingies level (6th I think) but most of the time I die repeatedly at stage 4 and quit.

edit: as for played games, I played (and beat) Exile yesterday. An average but very interesting game, I loved it even if it became boring close to the end. I'm impressed by how modern the title screen theme feels by the way, this could have been so much more, shame it was yet another rushed telenet game.

(theme at 4:06)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:43:53 AM by Punch »

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4212 on: August 13, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
I beat Valis 3 for the second time today.  The last time I beat it was in college playing a burn of the game.  A couple of years ago I picked up the game here and finally got around to beating it. 

The game's pretty hard!  Most notably, it took me forever to get past the section in stage 5 where you have to freeze enemies to become your platforms.

Don't worry, that is everyone's stumbling block.

First, to figure out what to do.

Then, to just friggin' do it without f*cking up.

:)

I love that part, though.

Such an elegant solution.

I have long argued that it is one of the best examples of great stage design (some say psychological warfare, depending on how long you try to *jump* with different characters).

The game also has some great moments of "puzzles" concerning the slide (again, forcing you to actually use each character's different skill set).
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #4213 on: August 13, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »
JB Harold cleared. Well technically I never finished it but it's not my fault that the game didn't want to progress past the final 3 or so interrogations.

Having to watch the ending on youtube made me not want to play it ever again even though it was a pretty good mystery.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4214 on: September 09, 2017, 03:11:03 AM »
Atlantean. Taking my brain a long time to get used to the speed of the game, looking at the map, then the screen, back and forth, etc...do a lot of people play this on slow? I hated to make it easy from the get go (cop out) but man...even when I just creep I am getting blown the f up.