Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91549 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4260 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
Of course, still playing Bomberman 93 & 94 with my kids (they love Bomberman).

Your kids are going to do great things in the world.

My wife is leaving for the weekend, so I'll have a turbo party all by myself and after watching classic game room's review of Bloody Wolf last night, I think I will give that one a serious try. I'm ashamed that I have never actually sat down to try to beat that game, and I've owned it for about 20 years now!

:)

I love Bloody Wolf, slowdown and all. Tap sparingly on the RUN button and flamethrower lasts FOREVER, that’s how my brothers would play. Personally, I love being wasteful and holding down the button even when FLAMES are unnecessary.

Anyway, great tunes in Bloody Damn Wolf.

|    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #4261 on: December 08, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »
The turbo Bloody Wolf was my Christmas Present from my older brother last year - English just so we could enjoy those great lines from KNIFE-KILLER or Snake/Eagle. I've been contemplating a quick re-run through it in honor of the anniversary.

I think it's a better game than Last Alert (which is fun too!), with better bosses and stage design. DECO's bizarre, semi-kusoge style always wins (see: Two Crude Dudes).

esteban

« Reply #4262 on: December 08, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
The turbo Bloody Wolf was my Christmas Present from my older brother last year - English just so we could enjoy those great lines from KNIFE-KILLER or Snake/Eagle. I've been contemplating a quick re-run through it in honor of the anniversary.

I think it's a better game than Last Alert (which is fun too!), with better bosses and stage design. DECO's bizarre, semi-kusoge style always wins (see: Two Crude Dudes).

Oh, definitely, Blüd Wulf is better than Last Alert. Last Alert is too easy... but LA has lots of *little* nice things going for it (different mission objectives, for example...and fun transitions between stages).

But Bloody Wolf is so much more satisfying (as a proper game) to make progress in and  eventually beat.

The Generalissimo and his lazer boomerangs.

‘Nuff said

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #4263 on: December 08, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

Oh, definitely, Blüd Wulf is better than Last Alert. Last Alert is too easy... but LA has lots of *little* nice things going for it (different mission objectives, for example...and fun transitions between stages).

But Bloody Wolf is so much more satisfying (as a proper game) to make progress in and  eventually beat.

The Generalissimo and his lazer boomerangs.

‘Nuff said

|    | 

nopepper

« Reply #4264 on: December 12, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
I love Bloody Wolf, slowdown and all. Tap sparingly on the RUN button and flamethrower lasts FOREVER, that’s how my brothers would play. Personally, I love being wasteful and holding down the button even when FLAMES are unnecessary.

So I was only able to spend about an hour playing and only got a bit past the character changing scene (just after rescuing the president). Sadly had to live real life and cut the gaming session short.

My takeaways so far is that the game would be a lot better if it didn't have unlimited continues, as I was able to spam it to get to that point (prob 4-5). Seems like a decent game, but probably need to play it more and limit the continues in order to better appreciate the level design.  I found the controls sorely missing a lock on feature (Shock Troopers has spoiled me for life).

I would say the standout feature is the music, which had that great PCE scratchy ring I love so much, but did not seem to be as good as Dragon Spirit, RType and Dungeon Explorer. Again, maybe spending more time trying to perfect the game will make me appreciate it more.

esteban

« Reply #4265 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

I would say the standout feature is the music, which had that great PCE scratchy ring I love so much, but did not seem to be as good as Dragon Spirit, RType and Dungeon Explorer. Again, maybe spending more time trying to perfect the game will make me appreciate it more.

Oh, I agree that Dragon Spirit, R-Type and Dungeon Explorer have splendid soundtracks.

What makes Bloody Wolf interesting, to me, is that it has a sound engine that is rather unique for the PCE (I don’t know if any other PCE game really shares the same samples/sounds/“instruments”...plus the songs are fun, even the “goofy” ones—the raft!—are fun and fit the stages quite well).

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #4266 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »

Oh, I agree that Dragon Spirit, R-Type and Dungeon Explorer have splendid soundtracks.

What makes Bloody Wolf interesting, to me, is that it has a sound engine that is rather unique for the PCE (I don’t know if any other PCE game really shares the same samples/sounds/“instruments”...plus the songs are fun, even the “goofy” ones—the raft!—are fun and fit the stages quite well).

|    | 

lukester

« Reply #4267 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

So I was only able to spend about an hour playing and only got a bit past the character changing scene (just after rescuing the president). Sadly had to live real life and cut the gaming session short.

My takeaways so far is that the game would be a lot better if it didn't have unlimited continues, as I was able to spam it to get to that point (prob 4-5). Seems like a decent game, but probably need to play it more and limit the continues in order to better appreciate the level design.

Esty the Japanese version limits continues to 5. Seems a bit low honestly considering the game is close to an hour long and how cheap the final boss is

But a lot of pce games in general lean to the easy side, at least in comparison to the genesis. With exceptions...Monster Lair and R-Type make me shudder
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:53:40 PM by lukester »

esteban

« Reply #4268 on: December 12, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »

Esty the Japanese version limits continues to 5. Seems a bit low honestly considering the game is close to an hour long and how cheap the final boss is

But a lot of pce games in general lean to the easy side, at least in comparison to the genesis. With exceptions...Monster Lair and R-Type make me shudder

Ha! I didn’t know the Japanese version limited it to five continues (I don’t have the PCE HuCARD).

However, I wonder if Bloody Wolf 2 and Bloody Wolf 3 (the bonus modes) were changed at all (JP vs. NA)...

I think both battles with the “Generalissimo” are pretty darn tricky until you figure out a strategy...but for a long time I couldn’t even figure out a strategy and just died pathetically.

Monster Lair = motherf*cking challenging (unless you cheat with continues). But it’s one of my favorite games of all time. So goddamn sweet. :)

R-Type = the JP HuCARDs kick my ass...but the CD R-Type Complete CD allows **unlimited continues** (a great way to practice!)

|    | 

crazydean

« Reply #4269 on: December 12, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
R-Type = the JP HuCARDs kick my ass...but the CD R-Type Complete CD allows **unlimited continues** (a great way to practice!)

There's also an "easy" mode!
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

nopepper

« Reply #4270 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:23 AM »
Spent more time last night with Bloody Wolf and was able to make it to the knife fight without dying, had 5 health bars and the shithead proceeded to hand me my ass. I was able to beat him after a couple of continues figuring out his pattern, so will probably try again this weekend.

Definitely growing to appreciate the game more. The music is a real earworm.

Gypsy

« Reply #4271 on: December 15, 2017, 04:53:52 AM »
I played some Sapphire last night. It's technically very impressive to me but I wouldn't put it in my top ten PCE shootuns.

EmperorIng

« Reply #4272 on: December 15, 2017, 07:00:11 AM »
I'm curious what you would consider the top 10. I haven't played Sapphire yet (had the chance to buy a cheap repro but lol! at that), but for me the best shooters would probably be Gradius II, Dragon Saber, Cotton, and Galaga '88. For the most part Konami and Namco made the best games or arcade ports on the system, in my opinion.

Gypsy

« Reply #4273 on: December 15, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
I'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

Soldier Blade, Final Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Nexzr, Gunhed/BL, PC Denjin. The 10th slot is hard, maybe Ai Cho Aniki.

lukester

« Reply #4274 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
Got home from college, did some run throughs of altered beast, pac land and hany on the road

PAC-land is simple but fun. I got to stage 19 on one credit. The last few levels are nuts

Hany in the road is a ton of fun, has a cool concept and it looks fantastic

I love altered beast but the hucard has no Invincibility frames! I do like having longer levels though, let’s me test out my beast powers on all the enemies instead of jumping straight to the boss in the genny port. Pce Cd and genny or bust