Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91472 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4275 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
Got home from college, did some run throughs of altered beast, pac land and hany on the road

PAC-land is simple but fun. I got to stage 19 on one credit. The last few levels are nuts

Hany in the road is a ton of fun, has a cool concept and it looks fantastic

I love altered beast but the hucard has no Invincibility frames! I do like having longer levels though, let’s me test out my beast powers on all the enemies instead of jumping straight to the boss in the genny port. Pce Cd and genny or bust

Damn!

I can’t beat Hany on the Road (granted, I’m playing with 6 year olds, but when I try to show them how far I can get, BLAM! The game puts me in my place—last place.)

My big question for you: I like concept of the “PENALTY LOWER LAVA LEVEL” ...but is there a trick to running on all the tiny little platforms (for example, in Valis III you could power slide across pillars, ha!)

Obviously, I know I can’t powerslide :)

I just jump like a fool, hopping like crazy, and start wondering if there is an easier pattern (like a few long jumps), because that penalty lava stage makes me cry.

Also, what the f*ck do the blue bottles do? I habitually collect them...

So...am I ignorant of any “dashing” or “power jump” techniques?

I know you can “jump backwards” (that move is fun).

Thank you!
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #4276 on: December 17, 2017, 03:34:54 AM »
Hi esty

Honestly I usually just skip the penalty stages, they are rarely worth it

How far do you get? Some routes are easier than others

If you collect 25 blue bottles you get an extra life. When you die the number you have doesn’t reset

EmperorIng

« Reply #4277 on: December 18, 2017, 03:05:36 AM »
I picked up a cheap Japanese copy of Wanderers from Ys/Ys III. The game is perfectly fine in Japanese outside of some initial fumbling with shop menus. It still has the same annoying tendency as Ys I/II that you cannot skip cutscenes, so those bits where digitized voices play out are ones you have to sit through. I've only faced 2 or 3 bosses so far, and they haven't particularly wowed me - mostly because by equipping the power run and holding attack you destroy them so quickly. Feels almost like you're cheating!

I am glad I didn't spend a lot of money on the game. Not that it's bad, as it is still fun. The simplified combat isn't quite as satisfying as bump combat, and requires a bit less precision or thoughtfulness since you can just stand still and watch the enemy enter into your meat-grinder range. Despite that I feel like I am getting my money's worth.  :P

I'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

Soldier Blade, Final Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Nexzr, Gunhed/BL, PC Denjin. The 10th slot is hard, maybe Ai Cho Aniki.

That's uh, an interesting 10th choice. Maybe style over substance, eh!

Punch

« Reply #4278 on: December 18, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »
I'm playing Shadow of the Beast, it's the most dumb, poorly designed europlatformer ever but I still keep coming back for it for some reason.

nopepper

« Reply #4279 on: December 18, 2017, 05:15:00 AM »
I picked up a cheap Japanese copy of Wanderers from Ys/Ys III. The game is perfectly fine in Japanese outside of some initial fumbling with shop menus. It still has the same annoying tendency as Ys I/II that you cannot skip cutscenes, so those bits where digitized voices play out are ones you have to sit through. I've only faced 2 or 3 bosses so far, and they haven't particularly wowed me - mostly because by equipping the power run and holding attack you destroy them so quickly. Feels almost like you're cheating!

I am glad I didn't spend a lot of money on the game. Not that it's bad, as it is still fun. The simplified combat isn't quite as satisfying as bump combat, and requires a bit less precision or thoughtfulness since you can just stand still and watch the enemy enter into your meat-grinder range. Despite that I feel like I am getting my money's worth.  :P

I'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

Soldier Blade, Final Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Nexzr, Gunhed/BL, PC Denjin. The 10th slot is hard, maybe Ai Cho Aniki.

That's uh, an interesting 10th choice. Maybe style over substance, eh!

Ys III has always felt like a guilty pleasure for me. Even with all its flaws, it is always satisfying to have a playthrough every couple of years, and when I don't, I seem to long for it. I reckon the music has a lot to do with it, and the fact that it is so short helps in its pick up and play-ness.

Two other games that I feel are similar in that regard are Cadash (Turbo/PCE version) and Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis. I have actually played and beaten these 3 more than any Zelda game...

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4280 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »
I was playing some sweet ass remasterings of Lords and Gate over the weekend.

video evidence:

Gypsy

« Reply #4281 on: December 18, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
I cleared Sapphire last night.

esteban

« Reply #4282 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
Victory Run
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #4283 on: December 18, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Went through Star Parodier. Really quite easy.

lukester

« Reply #4284 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »

Your post got me to finally play through the game.

Damn it is really easy, but the graphics are out of this world! Thankfully there's a hard mode for the future...

esteban

« Reply #4285 on: December 18, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »

Damn it is really easy, but the graphics are out of this world! Thankfully there's a hard mode for the future...

It’s so nicely executed, it is a gem.

:)

|    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #4286 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56:27 PM »

Yeah at one point I had 20 some lives.  :lol:

I've been gunning for more clears lately. Just pulled Vigilante and Nexzr out to play.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4287 on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
None. System is out for repair.

Sometimes I look over my games and rub the spines labels longingly tho.

Gypsy

« Reply #4288 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:52 AM »
Get better soon GoldenWheel's Turbob!

*sends get well card and gift basket*

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4289 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:08 AM »
I cleared Sapphire last night.

I've been trying to 1CC it lately but keep failing.  I think most of the people that bitch about it being super easy are cranking up the continues and bomb spamming their way to the end..... or maybe I just suck.  :mrgreen:

None. System is out for repair.

Sometimes I look over my games and rub the spines labels longingly tho.

Aww, that stinks.  Get well soon, lil Turbob!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles