Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91728 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4320 on: January 29, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »
Did a little play through of pacland. I got to round 21 (trip 6) on one credit, a new record! Difficulty really spikes up at the end.

Yes, and there is a “hard mode” once you get through this!

I like Pac Land a lot, it’s oddly alluring.

:)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #4321 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »
Just got a new copy of MotoRoader MC (i guess it's part 3?) in the mail...it's no longer new. Was initially disappointed to see the scrolling tracks are gone, more like a super sprint type game now...but 20 minutes or so of play revealed it was actually still pretty fun....could see multiplayer battles still being fun, but i didn't see any upgrades yet? That was one of the best parts of the first game was getting that new engine or body, and smoking your buddies, dragging their sorry asses from the back of the screen every 2 seconds!!!

Yeah, so this has been an ongoing source of confusion... we can’t figure out how to activate stuff (is it double-tapping  in the direction you are traveling)?

I haven’t played MotoRoaderMC in a few years, but I was making progress just playing it as a simple game...but some tracks just seemed incredibly tough (you couldn’t make even a small error...)

So, I can’t help but feel that I only know “half” the game.

|    | 

Gredler

« Reply #4322 on: January 29, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »
Last week I was playing some Neutopia while preparing to start Ys IV. After playing through I & II and III recently, I am excited to see this hudson developed game - so stoked!

One thing I didn't remember from Neutopia is how helpful the NPCs are at first, they basically tell you exactly where to go and what to do, and I also forgot how forgiving death is initially as well.

I am on the third dungeon right now, will be continueing it later tonight after some MS paint work ;)

crazydean

« Reply #4323 on: January 29, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
Yeah, the NPCs are very helpful in Neutopia. Unfortunately, there are just SO many of them to speak with.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

crazydean

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4324 on: January 29, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »
Double post. Sorry.

jordan_hillman

« Reply #4325 on: January 30, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
I'm playing this absolute classic how it ought to be played!  :wink:

I picked the Emerson up about 9 months ago at Goodwill for $5. It even had the original remote with no battery corrosion!  :D

On another note, what is everyone's favorite firepower/power-up combination?? Right now I'm trying out firepower upgrade IV with the shield power up. My go-to is III with homing missiles, but I also have a lot of fun with I and the shield power up as well.

Thoughts?

"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

crazydean

« Reply #4326 on: January 30, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »
Depends on how you like to play. I like the III with homing missiles. It seems to be the cheapest/easiest way to play because you can run away and still kill stuff. However, I still haven't beaten the game.

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #4327 on: January 30, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
Just got a new copy of MotoRoader MC (i guess it's part 3?) in the mail...it's no longer new. Was initially disappointed to see the scrolling tracks are gone, more like a super sprint type game now...but 20 minutes or so of play revealed it was actually still pretty fun....could see multiplayer battles still being fun, but i didn't see any upgrades yet? That was one of the best parts of the first game was getting that new engine or body, and smoking your buddies, dragging their sorry asses from the back of the screen every 2 seconds!!!

Yeah, so this has been an ongoing source of confusion... we can’t figure out how to activate stuff (is it double-tapping  in the direction you are traveling)?

I haven’t played MotoRoaderMC in a few years, but I was making progress just playing it as a simple game...but some tracks just seemed incredibly tough (you couldn’t make even a small error...)

So, I can’t help but feel that I only know “half” the game.

Yeah the weapon usage is weird, but what seems to work every time for me in a couple of sit downs with it is to let off the accelerator briefly (like split second) and then tap it twice. Fires a shot every time. But that's just firing...believe I saw where I was somehow changing weapons mid race.

In short, yeah it's confusing!
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

jordan_hillman

« Reply #4328 on: January 30, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Depends on how you like to play. I like the III with homing missiles. It seems to be the cheapest/easiest way to play because you can run away and still kill stuff. However, I still haven't beaten the game.

III with homing missiles is absolutely a cheap way to play, I agree. And it's the only combination I've beaten the game with, lol.

However, I am absolutely no expert at shooters. I typically require a marathon gaming session, consisting of dozens of retries, before I am ever able to beat a shooter.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

seieienbu

« Reply #4329 on: January 31, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
My favorite weapon combo in Blazing Lazers is Shield Thunder lvl 3 and homing missiles.  Good times.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Winniez

« Reply #4330 on: January 31, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
III with almost  anything. Seems to work best for most situations. I just dislike the first few stages (especially the first one) in Gunhead/Blazing Lazers. Its slow, boring, the pacing sucks etc. Pretty much same issues as with the Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.

Winniez

« Reply #4331 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I have been playing the Gradius PC-Engine port lately. Its a pretty good effort but not as good as the later Konami releases. Especially considering that the Gradius arcade game was 6 years old at the time.

One baffling thing is that the extra stage exclusive to this version has a ton of slowdown! I mean if you are going to design a level specifically for the PC-engine why not design it according to the system's and programming limitations. Also, the slowdown is so bad in the tentacle stage that I felt like playing SNES/SFC. I think they should have just dropped that level.

Despite those flaws I still enjoy playing this version. And the music is fantastic.

esteban

« Reply #4332 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
III with almost  anything. Seems to work best for most situations. I just dislike the first few stages (especially the first one) in Gunhead/Blazing Lazers. Its slow, boring, the pacing sucks etc. Pretty much same issues as with the Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.

The second stage is the worst offender.

Revise Stage 2 and the game would be a lot better, IMHO.

|    | 

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4333 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #4334 on: January 31, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »

The second stage is the worst offender.

Revise Stage 2 and the game would be a lot better, IMHO.

I think it's just the music honestly. Has a different flavor to it. The level 4 theme is still absolutely legendary.

And space megaforce is even longer, with 12 levels!! It's so bad they included a shorter mode.

Played some Altered Beast (HuCard) today, got it done on my last life of my last continue. The lack of the voices is sad and the lack of i-frames is annoying, but I love everything else about it. The genny version is great but also an utter pushover and the (inferior) music doesn't even loop. I know the CD version is a bit better, though they didn't reduce the amount of damage needed for the last two bosses