Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88554 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
Yeah, Aero Blasters is very good.  It can be challenging, but it's fair (yes, even the parts with the gravity effects).  The only part that I call BS on is the "wobbly screen" stretch in the last stage.  I lose at least three lives every single time.
hahahah. there are a bunch of parts in the game that I totally choke on. The gravity effects = slippery ice levels in platformers: "Oh, this isn't so bad, I can adjust to this, I can... crap! wtf!? I just died! Dammit!"
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Yeah, Aero Blasters is very good.  It can be challenging, but it's fair (yes, even the parts with the gravity effects).  The only part that I call BS on is the "wobbly screen" stretch in the last stage.  I lose at least three lives every single time.
hahahah. there are a bunch of parts in the game that I totally choke on. The gravity effects = slippery ice levels in platformers: "Oh, this isn't so bad, I can adjust to this, I can... crap! wtf!? I just died! Dammit!"

The part that always used to get me was a mini-boss in Stage 5 who shoots lots of tight spread shots while the gravity effects are f*cking around with your ship.  I eventually got the feel for it, but it seemed almost impossible at first. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 04:37:05 AM »
Played some Addams Family over the weekend, and it's nowhere near as bad as I remembered it to be.  Some of the graphics are a bit clunky, but I've seen worse, and the game play ain't at all bad.  Good stuff, though I haven't beaten it just yet.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 05:10:55 AM »
I'm working on Magical Chase right now. I'm up to the level 5 boss which toasted me this time. I know his pattern now though and he seems pretty easy, actually.

Turbo D

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
I was playing tour of hell last night, haha. I died and saw the budda lying in a sexy pose saying things in japanese!?!

Mobius

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »
I played Keith Courage for the first time ever today!  It's not so bad, guys... Really.  I got it from The Old Rover, along with Blazing Lazers, Parasol Stars, and Air Zonk.  Granted they just came today, but I've spent more time playing Keith Courage than the rest of them combined. :D

P.S.: I just have a Duo, so I never experienced KC as a pack-in, which is why this is the first time I've played it.

nat

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »
Keith Courage isn't a bad game. It's just kind of a crappy game for them to have picked for a pack-in.

Mobius

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
True, I can't see the game lasting long.  I've gotten though about half of it without really even trying, and I'm not sure how many times I'll want to play it.  But still, I've seen lots of people trash on the game, so I wanted to give it some praise!

nat

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
True, I can't see the game lasting long.  I've gotten though about half of it without really even trying, and I'm not sure how many times I'll want to play it.  But still, I've seen lots of people trash on the game, so I wanted to give it some praise!

I think it's generally regarded that it's actually an OK game. But you're right, the replay value is zilch. And there is nothing mascot-ish about Keith Courage. And the name "Keith Courage in Alpha Zones" really, really blows. And they made 2.3 billion copies whereas other, better games were limited to runs of a mere 3,000 units.

I think these are the things that generate the bad buzz around Keith Courage. As a game, by itself, there's nothing wrong with it. And it actually makes really good use of the system's color capabilities.

Turbo D

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
I too think that Keith Courage is a pretty decent game. I got pretty into it in that past and beat it.

nat

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
I think Keith Courage was the first TurboGrafx game I ever beat. That was probably in like 1991 or something. It was either that or Pac-Land, I can't remember anymore.

Mobius

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
Okay, I've moved on to Blazing Lazers now.  Is this game generally considered easy, or am I just strangely good at it?  I'm generally pretty mediocre at shooters, but I blazed through (pun intended) to the fifth area without any trouble before my short attention span kicked in.  For reference, Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder give me a good run for my money.

Beautiful game, though, and I'm certainly enjoying it.  I'm just kinda surprised that a shooter isn't immediately kicking my ass.

nat

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
Stage 5 is where it starts upping the difficulty. Everything before that is cake. It gets tougher.

Turbo D

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
Its an easy game until the last couple levels where it gets insanely difficult!

spenoza

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »
I like shooters like Blazing Lazers, which let you make it a few levels in before wiping the floor with you, much more than the newer shooters which wipe the floor with you from stage 1.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c