Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88626 times)

Sinistron

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »
Love seeing arcade modes getting love!

Just tested out Power League III (has 4 player mode- can't wait to get three heads in here for that one)
Racing Spirits (a letdown for an Irem card- though I'll only really know from two-player)
Space Invaders (plus mode is awesome!)

and just beat Power Gate- which I really enjoyed.  A nice game to cruise through when powered up-
didn't realize that I amassed so many secondary weapons and used them continuously to crush the final (sixth) board-
interestingly levels 4 & 5 have no bosses- the regular boards just get tough while the boss music plays-
Final boss was a giant flying weapon with huge missiles and was probably the easiest boss in the game...
Overall a surprise- liked it much more than I thought I would- graphics are cruddy yet somehow charming-
was surprised to see parallex- heard such bad things about pack-in-video games...
and all the missile and bullet dodging is great.  Your bombs get really nasty when powered up to fire bombs...
Thumbs up.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nat

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
Powergate was that easy huh? Good grief. You only got it yesterday.

And I told you Space Invaders Plus was the shit.

Turbo D

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »
I've been playing a lot of arcade cds lately. 餓狼伝説2 ―新たなる闘い―, 龍虎の拳 and 銀河婦警伝説サファイア   8)

nodtveidt

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2008, 03:02:26 AM »
Got a copy of Time Cruise in the mail yesterday, so...explanation not needed. :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2008, 04:01:11 AM »
Lately, Exile's been spinning in the Duo.  It's easy and short, but it's also fun and sports a damn fine soundtrack.  Besides, who doesn't enjoy a good crucifixion barbecue joke?

I've been playing a lot of arcade cds lately. 餓狼伝説2 ―新たなる闘い―, 龍虎の拳 and 銀河婦警伝説サファイア   8)

Chicken scratches, eh?  Fun times.  :lol:

Got a copy of Time Cruise in the mail yesterday, so...explanation not needed. :D

Contrary to most peeps, I prefer Time Cruise to the Crush pair.  Prehistoric golf for the win!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
Contrary to most peeps, I prefer Time Cruise to the Crush pair.  Prehistoric golf for the win!
Aye, same here. The Crushes are good, but Time Cruise is just much more enjoyable, especially with its neat little mini-games. And yeah, the golf game rocks. :D

Sinistron

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »
just put some more time into lost sunheart- fantastic game.  Some of the enemies I find too manic- but if you have a protective ring and keep switching your speeds it makes up for it.  got as far now as inside the whale on normal mode.

also just played some cloud master- at first I was wondering why I didn't care for it- some of the background work is lovely and detailed, awesome scrolling on the boss fights, and its one of the most colorful pce cards period- but damn its a little frustrating how easy of a target you become especially when you die and no longer have a speed power-up.  It's also not as fun as it looks and that drive to get further is somehow missing.  I will give it some more chances though.

gave burning angels another chance today.  some boards look so shitty- second stage in particular with the ugly boulderish clouds- third stage looks amazing in comparison.   really is a brutal game- not in a good way.  you know how some bosses in overhead shooters you can't face directly head on because a huge front laser will suddenly nail you?  Now picture that for most regular enemies in this game only the shots are ludicrously fast and much faster than your ship.  Then when you're on the side of an oncoming big ship expecting a shot from the front it'll shoot from the sides- again- ludicrously fast.  This is not a wriggle game- you have to really memorize every shooting pattern and its not fun at all to do so in this case.  and you get one life.  the music is kind of trash imo.  I'd say that whoever designed this game had no clue on how to make a playable shooter- that said however Naxat has some really good ones. 

also cleared final soldier today- always found it to be the easiest of the star soldier games but I haven't cleared it until today- the final stage (bright as hell purple lava where it's hard to make out what's going on) really messes with my eyes so I held off on following through.  Just kind of eased my eyes toward the bottom of the screen this time and it was better- though my eyes still felt shot for 15 minutes after I shut the system down.  some think (nat!) that I hate this game- but I always felt it was great- regardless of me making fun of the fire shots that look like cheetos.  I do feel though that some of the music is greatly inappropriate and way too happy sounding- and I also feel that though its cool that you can select different weapons on the set-up screen- that most of those weapons are garbage or recycled from super star soldier.  one thing I really do like about the game- aside from the great playability- is the 50's/60's sci-fi feel of some of the levels- something that gives it a completely different feel to me in comparison with the other games in the series.  I rank it third behind Blazing Lazers with Soldier Blade my definite favorite and super star soldier the definite bottom rung. 

played a little dead moon too but was forced to shut it off halfway through  :|.

nat

« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
The Lost Sunheart is a fantastic game. I didn't know you had it. I can't wait until runin picks that one up and gives his take. I have a feeling he'd like it.

Sinistron

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
yeah it's awesome.  feels so alien to the other shooters on the system doesn't it?  the obsession with the eyeballs and the ridiculously fast enemies that move in bizarre patterns.  a lot of great powering up- and I only realized tonight for the first time  :oops: how you can switch some of your defense up when you pause it- though I find the default to be best.

Keranu

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2008, 08:22:57 PM »
I've had Lost Sunheart for years, but never really played the first few levels (I remember one of them being really hard). It seems pretty cool, but it's got some harsh sound to it if I recall and the graphics were kind of a mixed bag. Maybe I'll remind myself to play that again once I'm done with other games on my plate.

Just beat Final Soldier a few hours ago, by the way. Great game!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »
The final level in Final Soldier ranks among the best of all the levels that make up the Gunhed/Star Soldier series. The background f*cks with your attention while the onslaught of enemies is ceaseless. The issue is compounded by a fairly difficult boss to dispatch. Fantastic end to a great game.... One of the reasons I like Final Soldier so much is that it pays homage to Gunhed in so many ways. The bio-mechanical enemies, smartbombs, and one level (5 or 6, can't recall) is like a re-visit of the green space platforms from the first game.

The sound in The Lost Sunheart is definitely harsh, but it's very PCE/Turbo and not the same kind of harsh as some other games on the platform which are bad-NES-sounding harsh. Like coffee, it's an acquired taste and easy to get hooked. Right out the gate, the game doesn't pull any punches which makes it a bit more difficult straight off than many other shooters.

Sinistron

« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2008, 08:30:15 PM »

well let's clank mugs on that. >clink<

more on lost sunheart-
It's hard not to take hits in that game but the life bar and defense power-ups help- also the full life power-ups are spread out at nice spots so just keep in your head to stay alive juuust a little longer and you'll replenish. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:35:20 PM by Sinistron »

esteban

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:58 AM »
Ha! I haven't read this thread in ages. Still haven't, in fact.

I'm playing Super Raiden and Rock On. Alternating between the two. No joke.

well let's clank mugs on that. >clink<

more on lost sunheart-
It's hard not to take hits in that game but the life bar and defense power-ups help- also the full life power-ups are spread out at nice spots so just keep in your head to stay alive juuust a little longer and you'll replenish. 
For folks who like Lost Sunheart, I usually recommend Rabio Lepus. Rabio doesn't get much love, but for me, both games appeal to the same sort of person. OK, this isn't a scientific theory, but I've seen a correlation between folks liking both games (or disliking both!).

Sinistron, if you liked PowerGate, check out F-123. I can't remember, but I think someone wrote about it here. I had a review here or at magicengine, too (with screenshots of the goofball nicknames they gave the fighter pilots). F-123 is challenging and it was strangely satisfying to beat it. Now, most folks will not play F-123 for long, but it can provide some fun.

If you haven't checked out Download (HuCard) and Download 2 (CD), you might find them kinda enjoyable as well.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:35:28 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
For folks who like Lost Sunheart, I usually recommend Rabio Lepus. Rabio doesn't get much love, but for me, both games appeal to the same sort of person. OK, this isn't a scientific theory, but I've seen a correlation between folks liking both games (or disliking both!).

yeah I kind of do like rabio lepus- haven't plugged that one in in a minute but at a time I was giving it a fair amount of playtime and was doing fairly well at it- probably nowhere near beating it (tough ass game!) but fairly well all the same.  Good call though I think I'll show that one a little love today.

Sinistron, if you liked PowerGate, check out F-123. I can't remember, but I think someone wrote about it here. I had a review here or at magicengine, too (with screenshots of the goofball nicknames they gave the fighter pilots). F-123 is challenging and it was strangely satisfying to beat it. Now, most folks will not play F-123 for long, but it can provide some fun.

If you haven't checked out Download (HuCard) and Download 2 (CD), you might find them kinda enjoyable as well.

Yeah I think you mean Runin's review- he's told me as well to pick it up- sounds like the games are almost board for board similar- with Hawk having much better graphics of course.  I'm definitely picking it up soon- Powergate was fun as hell.  Download 1 & 2 I unfortunately don't have yet  :cry: but that will change! Download's on my top ten most wanted hucard list  :)  just got in the mail today the card I've been waiting the longest for- Hero Tonma- was a b1tch finding it at a price I was comfortable with...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »
played a little dead moon too but was forced to shut it off halfway through  :|.

Awesome (the playing, not having to shut down halfway).  Sounded so good I decided to play myself, 'til I died and didn't use a continue.

Played some 1943 and finished it on two player with my bro-in-law.  Fun stuff; hurry, pick up that cow!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles