Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88204 times)

Sparky

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
Im into the PCE goodness… Burning Angels… what an ultimate shooter!!!! and have been raising hell with Dragon Saber and for the most frustrating game i have been playing it goes to… Formation ArmedF… shit its tough :( when you die it has a sound effect that seems to tease you!!!!!!!…

esteban

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »
Im into the PCE goodness… Burning Angels… what an ultimate shooter!!!! and have been raising hell with Dragon Saber and for the most frustrating game i have been playing it goes to… Formation ArmedF… shit its tough :( when you die it has a sound effect that seems to tease you!!!!!!!…
Yes! Armed F is tough as balls. I actually beat that motherf*cker, and used to have notes (I was going to write a FAQ). There are patterns to the bosses and some of the later ones are frustrating.

I like Armed F, despite its flaws and non-slick, non-Hollywood presentation.
  |    | 

Digi.k

« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »
Valkyrie no Densetsu

Just completed it yesterday and what a great game.   REALLY really shoulda made it stateside.  Anyway the japanese release has some of the nicest booklet art ever!!! 

here's a few of em' cause this game needs more love on this forum!!!  :pray:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:20:09 PM by Digi.k »

nat

« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2008, 04:22:52 AM »
Hmm, that looks awesome, actually. What kind of game is it? RPG? Too hard to tell from the minute low-res screenshots on those manual pages.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
Hmm, that looks awesome, actually. What kind of game is it? RPG? Too hard to tell from the minute low-res screenshots on those manual pages.

Vertically scrolling action seasoned with a dash of RPG, kinda like Fray.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2008, 04:34:56 AM »
yes.  Excellent game and plays much better than Fray imo.  Just wish I knew what the shopkeepers and other hut dwellers were saying to me.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

TR0N

« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
yes.  Excellent game and plays much better than Fray imo.  Just wish I knew what the shopkeepers and other hut dwellers were saying to me.
Well i've played the arcade version on,Namco Museum vol 5 for the PS1.

It's not that big of a deal far as what there saying though so dunno.

Later on i'll have to dig out my copy and see what it was.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Digi.k

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
The pc engine version of Valkyrie no Densetsu is different from the arcade especially later on as the levels are much different and from what I've read there is a boss not found on the arcade.  Not to mention the dreaded password system to continue at another day.

Also you will get to a point where you have to answer a random question correctly otherwise you get thrown back to the beginning of the level.. or mana/health points deducted.  Plus you might need to answer a question correctly in order to gain mana/health.. so thats a lil tricky but it just means a bit more of a challenge XD

I got the completed game up on youtube but some bits are missing.. as I'm sure you can obtain a special sword to defeat the final 2 bosses.. they took a LOOOOOONG time to kill with my "normal" upgraded sword (which was why I split it into 4 vids)..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:32:46 PM by Digi.k »

Sinistron

« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
Played Valis II for the first time today.  What a disappointment. I find it hard to believe that some people think Valis I is weaker than this game.  Valis I is at leat 3 x the game this is.  II is ridiculously easy, insanely short- and a poor platformer with poor level structure and practically zero game strategy.  Gameplay is below average.  This left a bad taste in my mouth and after clearing it it felt like a waste of my time.  The music is highly overrated.  Cutscenes- though they have nice images- are tiny with little animation.  Plenty of load time on this one too.  Future Boy Conan is better than this.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:13:48 PM by Sinistron »

nat

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »
The music is highly overrated. 

So true. Didn't I warn you about that? I have no idea why the soundtrack on Valis II gets hyped so much. When I played it for the first time, I found the tunes to be merely OK, and at their very best moments, simply "good."

Wouldn't come close to making a top 10 best-soundtrack-on-Turbo list, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it didn't even touch a top 25 list.

Valis II's soundtrack isn't bad or anything, but the soundtrack in Valis III overall is much better, and more consistently "good" than that of II.

I find Valis II's audio composition especially disappointing considering Valis is a Telenet game, and Telenet games consistently feature some of the best music on the console.

Sinistron

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2008, 03:59:59 AM »
So true. Didn't I warn you about that?

Yes you did  :)
I had to blast the game itself as well though  :x

esteban

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
Played Valis II for the first time today.  What a disappointment. I find it hard to believe that some people think Valis I is weaker than this game.  Valis I is at leat 3 x the game this is.  II is ridiculously easy, insanely short- and a poor platformer with poor level structure and practically zero game strategy.  Gameplay is below average.  This left a bad taste in my mouth and after clearing it it felt like a waste of my time.  The music is highly overrated.  Cutscenes- though they have nice images- are tiny with little animation.  Plenty of load time on this one too.  Future Boy Conan is better than this.
Regarding your comments about the music: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The music is highly overrated. 

So true. Didn't I warn you about that? I have no idea why the soundtrack on Valis II gets hyped so much. When I played it for the first time, I found the tunes to be merely OK, and at their very best moments, simply "good."

Wouldn't come close to making a top 10 best-soundtrack-on-Turbo list, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it didn't even touch a top 25 list.

Valis II's soundtrack isn't bad or anything, but the soundtrack in Valis III overall is much better, and more consistently "good" than that of II.

I find Valis II's audio composition especially disappointing considering Valis is a Telenet game, and Telenet games consistently feature some of the best music on the console.
Valis III's music is pretty darn generic compared to the brilliant, creative tunes in Valis II.  :twisted:

Since both you (nat) and Sinistron have uttered such blasphemous irreverence towards the sacred tunes of Valis II, let me explain.

(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(2) I think most video game music (from SNES onwards) falls into the genre of muzak, but I try to appreciate it for what it is.
(3) Valis II, in many ways, transcends muzak. Or, at worst, it is really good muzak. Lots of creative stuff going on.
(4) Electronic / synth-pop / 80's / new romantics = some of my favorite genres
(5) Valis II 's music kicks your lame ass!
(6) See #5

:)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:59:34 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

Vertically scrolling action seasoned with a dash of RPG, kinda like Fray.
Correction: Vertically, horizontally, AND diagnolly scrolling action  :mrgreen: ! It's a VHD, as John Brandstetter would put it!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Sinistron

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(2) I think most video game music (from SNES onwards) falls into the genre of muzak, but I try to appreciate it for what it is.
(3) Valis II, in many ways, transcends muzak. Or, at worst, it is really good muzak. Lots of creative stuff going on.
(4) Electronic / synth-pop / 80's / new romantics = some of my favorite genres
(5) Valis II 's music kicks your lame ass!
(6) See #5

(1) I don't have Double Dragon II or Lady Phantom- but I'd be happy to take 'em off you to give my opinion  :)
(2) Not a fan of muzak or SNES  :)
(3) I don't see how there can be "Lots of creative stuff" going on in muzak- since muzak is created to be light filler renditions of other people's music.  Not even sure how you can praise the Valis II music and in the same breath call it "really good muzak" -- that's pretty bad  :)
(4) Progressive symphonic and math rock / jazz fusion = some of my favorite genres- exactly why (5) and (6) need not apply  :)

really good muzak is really really lame  :P

Just an opinion of course.  I'm actually not a total music snob like I'm coming off- I like a bit of everything- folk, alternative hip-hop and classic rock included- and that said I merely implied that Valis II's music was overrated- it isn't a complete waste- I just think that the high reverence held to it is more than drastic.  As Nat said- it'd be lucky to make a realistic top 25 list of best PCECD music- and I'd place it lower than that.  Pretty much all of Hudson's CD games have much better music for example- and nothing from Valis II stuck in my head.  My initial concerns however were on Valis II's poor gameplay, structure, and lack of strategy, difficulty and length.  This makes the music even worse than it already is as a good video game should be one great experience as a whole- with each element- whether it be music, sfx, graphics or gameplay among others- harmonizing into an almost religious synthesis.  Perhaps if I listened to Valis II's music on it's own merits I'd appreciate it more- but as I already said nothing jumped out at me.  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:03:54 PM by Sinistron »

termis

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
I've played through I through III recently, and I'm in the last level for part IV.  I was never a big fan of the series before, but playing through them again makes me appreciate it a bit more this time.

As for the music for part II, I gotta agree with Sinistron & Nat.  Valis II's soundtrack is decent, but I can't ever recall going "wow" at the music.  And the gameplay is by far, far the crappiest of the series.  I'd think the only thing that really sold Part II to a large crowd is the whole "anime girls with skimpy outfits" thing.

Talking about Valis, part III gets a lot of love, but IV is quite solid.  For a "regular" CD-ROM2 game, it's probably one of the most polished looking titles I've come across.  It looks helluva lot better than a majority of the SCD titles out there, with good use of colors & parallex, and even the cut-scenes are tons better than part II.  (they must've come up with better compression algorithms by then, cause the images are a lot bigger & varied during cinemas than previous CD-entries, but the loading isn't so bad)