Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88610 times)

nat

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »
I want to beat III before I start IV.

I still haven't beaten that f*cking bells part yet.

termis

esteban

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »
(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(2) I think most video game music (from SNES onwards) falls into the genre of muzak, but I try to appreciate it for what it is.
(3) Valis II, in many ways, transcends muzak. Or, at worst, it is really good muzak. Lots of creative stuff going on.
(4) Electronic / synth-pop / 80's / new romantics = some of my favorite genres
(5) Valis II 's music kicks your lame ass!
(6) See #5

(1) I don't have Double Dragon II or Lady Phantom- but I'd be happy to take 'em off you to give my opinion  :)
(2) Not a fan of muzak or SNES  :)
(3) I don't see how there can be "Lots of creative stuff" going on in muzak- since muzak is created to be light filler renditions of other people's music.  Not even sure how you can praise the Valis II music and in the same breath call it "really good muzak" -- that's pretty bad  :)
(4) Progressive symphonic and math rock / jazz fusion = some of my favorite genres- exactly why (5) and (6) need not apply  :)

really good muzak is really really lame  :P

Just an opinion of course.  I'm actually not a total music snob like I'm coming off- I like a bit of everything- folk, alternative hip-hop and classic rock included- and that said I merely implied that Valis II's music was overrated- it isn't a complete waste- I just think that the high reverence held to it is more than drastic.  As Nat said- it'd be lucky to make a realistic top 25 list of best PCECD music- and I'd place it lower than that.  Pretty much all of Hudson's CD games have much better music for example- and nothing from Valis II stuck in my head.  My initial concerns however were on Valis II's poor gameplay, structure, and lack of strategy, difficulty and length.  This makes the music even worse than it already is as a good video game should be one great experience as a whole- with each element- whether it be music, sfx, graphics or gameplay among others- harmonizing into an almost religious synthesis.  Perhaps if I listened to Valis II's music on it's own merits I'd appreciate it more- but as I already said nothing jumped out at me. 

Dude, I posted mp3's in that Double Dragon II thread, just right-click and download them. Give 'em a listen! :)

Anyway, I am arguing that Valis II transcends muzak, and that is why I love it so much. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

If comes down to personal preference, of course, but Valis II's soundtrack really stands out from other CD games across all consoles: I have been searching for more games, any games, that offer something even remotely similar to Valis II. Unfortunately, I've yet to find any, and believe me, I've been looking...

Perhaps you have to like synth-pop and eccentric stuff to appreciate Valis II? :)

As for math rock, I dig that as well, though I had to look at lists of "math rock" bands just now to see if I recognized anything. As far as I can tell, I am only familiar with older stuff (early 90's) since I was buying up all of these records like a fiend.

If you dig Drive Like Jehu's first album (Yank Crime isn't as good) and if you have perused Touch and Go's catalog (math rockers and beyond), then we're probably not the mortal enemies I thought we were :).

I'm actually more of a music fiend than a video game fiend, which maybe explains why I spend too much time defending the handful of excellent tunes from Dragon Spirit....
  |    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2008, 02:43:44 AM »
I'm actually more of a music fiend than a video game fiend, which maybe explains why I spend too much time defending the handful of excellent tunes from Dragon Spirit....

Dragon Spirit has great chip music and it really fits the laid back feel of the game- one of the reasons why I like it more than Dragon Saber.  :D

Last night I beat Dynastic Hero.  Loved it.  It felt shorter and much easier than Dragon's Curse- its predecessor and obvious model- but I felt it being a CD game was still justified- with the excellent music and colorful, bubbly graphics.  So far- without having beat the last boss in Bikkuriman and without having beat Monster Lair (but playing and owning both of them)- I'd rank the TG/PCE Wonder Boy adaptations as such- Dragon's Curse, New Adventure Island, Dynastic Hero, Bikkuriman World, and Monster Lair.  I love Monster Lair- so that being ranked last should tell you how I feel about this series.

I beat Last Alert last night too for the first time since I beat it back in the day when I first owned it.  A fun game- but not much in the way of strategy and challenge.  To clear this game with one life shouldn't be much of a task and all of the bosses (the "hardest" one being the sewer monster only because you can't waste your time as on that particular board you're given very little) are jokey- especially the final boss and that weapon he was building.  I'd say that this is more fun and campy than Bloody Wolf but definitely less of a challenge.

On a side note- and maybe someone can help me here- I tried to start up Exile II last night a few times but with no luck.  Problem was it kept telling me that there wasn't enough CD player memory for me to create a save file.  This puzzled me as I only had like six files at the moment.  So I erased all but two of them - erased my 100% Drac X clear and my Rainbow Islands file- neither which bothered me as it'd just give me an excuse to beat up Drac X again and for me to start from scratch again on the excellent Rainbow Islands - erased my Y's IV file which is okay because I wasn't far into it- but I also erased my girlfriend's Loom file which wasn't cool.  So I was left with two files- my clear of Lady Sword (so that I can access the nudie pics whenever I want  :P and my progress in Shape Shifter.  Guess what?  Exile II still said I didn't have enough memory.   :?: :?: :?:  What am I doing wrong here?  I even turned everything off, unplugged the unit- took a 1/2 hour walk outside, came back and got the same result.  Can someone help me here?  And yes- I KNOW that I need a tennokoe card- but aside from that- I don't get it.  I used to be able to have numerous files on the CD memory- it seems as of late the number of files I can hold are getting whittled down to nothing.  :evil:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:45:49 AM by Sinistron »

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Zeon

« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »

Right on! Dragon Spirit wasn't the greatest game out there, but it does have some kick ass tunes.

Your not alone either in your love of video game music, the only music I listen to is chip music!

As for your save problems Sinistron, different games require different amounts of save space, I can't remember but does the TG-16 cd/duo tell you how much space each save is taking up? I do know that many times I couldn't even start a game until I formatted the system memory. I know this is because it had not been powered on in a while and therefore the saves were lost and the ram needed to be initialized. Maybe from all of the saving and deleting your cd system memory isn't "optimally organized" for lack of a better term? Or maybe Exile II is one of those games that eat up most of the save memory? I hate to say it but you may have to format it if you want to save in Exile II.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:55:48 AM by Zeon »

nat

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2008, 03:55:09 AM »
Can someone help me here?  And yes- I KNOW that I need a tennokoe card- but aside from that- I don't get it.  I used to be able to have numerous files on the CD memory- it seems as of late the number of files I can hold are getting whittled down to nothing.  :evil:

Some games require more space than others. Might and Magic III, for example, requires the entire save game memory to be free in order to start. Perhaps Exile II is the same. I'm not sure-- I only started it up once for literally about 3 minutes to watch the intro cinema and see what gameplay was like. I don't remember what my save memory situation was like at that time.

You need a Ten no Koe so you don't have to worry about losing files.  :D

Sinistron

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:49 AM »
looks like a format is in order.  Dang!  :(

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2008, 04:29:49 AM »
Not so fast, tex; a format may not be necessary.  Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a greedy bastard and eats up 1155 of the 1726 save space 'chunks' (bits, bytes, nibbles?) and Shape Shifter is eating up an additional 177.  I don't know about Lady Sword's save file size, but it's quite possible that it's eating up more than 394 chunks and needs to be cleared out to make room for W.P.  Of course, the only thing that you'll be saving is Shape Shifter, so maybe a format is in order anyway.  For whatever it's worth, erasing Dracula X, Ys IV, and Loom's files cleared out 144, 47, and 66 chunks, respectively (I don't know about Rainbow Islands).

I can't remember but does the TG-16 cd/duo tell you how much space each save is taking up?

No, though Order of the Griffon and Falcon will.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2008, 04:35:29 AM »

No, though Order of the Griffon and Falcon will.

Also for those folks with flash carts, CCovell has a fantastic file manager utility that not only lists file sizes but allows you to manipulate them, edit them, even back up individual files. Not to mention the standard format, delete, etc. Of course you need a flash cart to be able to use it, but I've found that one utilitiy singlehandedly almost makes it worth the price of admission.

Sinistron

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:27 AM »
Not so fast, tex; a format may not be necessary.  Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a greedy bastard and eats up 1155 of the 1726 save space 'chunks'

Jesus Jones- why the hell does this game use so much save memory?  What the hell is it saving other than a coded list of your items and levels?  :-s

Hmmm.  Thankfully I just stopped being such a crybaby and bought a tennokoe card.  It won't make up for all the files I erased- but at least I'll be able to save all the pervy pics of the fine ladies from my Lady Sword clear  :wink:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2008, 05:45:35 AM »
Jesus Jones- why the hell does this game use so much save memory?  What the hell is it saving other than a coded list of your items and levels?  :-s

Exile only takes up 96 for each save, so why W.P. is such a pig is a real mystery.  At least that's for three saves and not just one; Sim Earth and M&MIII allow only one save and nearly fill 'er up.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sparky

« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
Splash Lakeā€¦ aaaaww its so cute and alot of fun :D and Magical Dinosaur Tour, if your into dinos there lots of good & interesting stuff in there but probably won't get much more attention until my little girl gets her first project on Dinosaurs. :D

esteban

« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »

Dragon Spirit has great chip music and it really fits the laid back feel of the game- one of the reasons why I like it more than Dragon Saber.  :D

I beat Last Alert last night too for the first time since I beat it back in the day when I first owned it.  A fun game- but not much in the way of strategy and challenge.  To clear this game with one life shouldn't be much of a task and all of the bosses (the "hardest" one being the sewer monster only because you can't waste your time as on that particular board you're given very little) are jokey- especially the final boss and that weapon he was building.  I'd say that this is more fun and campy than Bloody Wolf but definitely less of a challenge.
Yeah, Last Alert isn't as satisfying to beat as other games because it is too easy. At least it is pretty long, but it would have been great if there was a difficulty setting (or unlockable).

In the past, I've mentioned that one of the koolest "subtle" touches that I loved in Last Alert is when our hero, Guy Kazama, yells "INDRA!!!!!!" when he's on the elevator at the end of the game. IIRC, there are two audio tracks-one with just the usual boss tune, one with boss tune + "INDRA!!!!!!". I also thought the ending credit music and "splashdown" ending sequence + credits was pretty satisfying, even though it isn't elaborate. Also, to back it up a bit, I forgot to mention that I always thought it was neat when Dr. Garcia (?) escaped and Guy ran after him and chased him into space. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. It's a fun transition from one stage to the next. Maybe that's why I like the end of Bonk's Adventure so much!

Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of the character designs in Last Alert. I don't know how I would re-design them, but I always felt that they could be better (at least they are a step-up from the "Little People" found in R.B.I. Baseball (NES) and Power League, right?).

Don't get me wrong, I dig Last Alert, especially the different types of missions that it offered... I kinda wish they released a sequel-on-steroids.
  |    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
yeah a sequel would've been choice- and it is the cat's ass when Guy yells approaching Indra- I actually got kind of freaked out and turned my head thinking someone was in the room with me- wasn't expecting it.  I too love when bosses are chased into outerspace just like in Megaman games.  Just would have been nice if just standing there shooting wasn't a way to beat the last few bosses.

esteban

« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »
yeah a sequel would've been choice- and it is the cat's ass when Guy yells approaching Indra- I actually got kind of freaked out and turned my head thinking someone was in the room with me- wasn't expecting it.  I too love when bosses are chased into outerspace just like in Megaman games.  Just would have been nice if just standing there shooting wasn't a way to beat the last few bosses.
Yeah, Last Alert needed some tough bosses... maybe then it would have felt O.K. to get through the stages pretty easily--only to face a formidable foe at the end. The "laser boomerang" Generalissimo dude from Bloody Wolf is far more challenging than anything in Last Alert.
  |    |