Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 89838 times)

Ninja Spirit

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »
My Metal Stoker playthrough on YouTube

Sinistron

« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
Just beat Hero Tonma for the first time- I've played it a few times before and got decently far (though it is a SHORT game)- this time I just ran through it.  Wasn't much of a challenge and damn the last boss is a joke.  Can't believe they gave him his own level with no stage or anything- just him.  I liked this game at first but after beating it my appreciation of it has worn down considerably- it plays decent enough, has some chip tunes I'm fond of and looks nice in spots- but it's just too damn short and simple.  In the same vein as Ninja Spirit for me- although Ninja Spirit is admittedly a better game.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »
Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer

spenoza

« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2008, 05:56:45 AM »
Metal Stoker looks very similar to Granada on the Genesis. They are clearly different games, but they are definitely in a similar vein.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Sinistron

« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:34 AM »
Played Override for the first time last night and I was raving about it on the shoutbox- It is awesome- Definitely above average.  I'd put it in my top five favorite overhead hucard shooters.  To me it feels like Psycho Chaser, Final Blaster, Image Fight and Blazing Lazers thrown into a blender.  The graphics, color and music recall Psycho Chaser, the secondary weapons recall the weapons in Final Blaster and Image Fight (even the red Image Fight directional pods), and it has the kick-ass gameplay and the ability to push the screen further left or right like in Blazing Lazers.  It also has a huge shot that powers up when idle, a multitude of secondary weapons that can be powered up like 4 or five times, a regular shot that can be powered up, speed selection, great parallex on several levels, a boss rush, zero slowdown, blistering intense action and tons of enemies filling the screen.  Only drawback is perhaps it's a bit too easy- especially for a wriggler like myself- Playing it for the first time I already reached and almost defeated the final boss- but man this game has GREAT gameplay and like I said it's pretty intense.  All this and it's only a two meg cart- I was really surprised by this one- a definite recommendation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:17:00 AM by Sinistron »

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »
Playing through "City Hunter"

This video was made the day I got the game out of my mailbox, rehearsing the stages wasn't too hard.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:19:07 AM by HypeG »

Lochlan

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Last night I finally got to the end boss of Bonk's Adventure.  Despite the power ups between the bosses, the boss rush is too hard.  The level-3 boss always kills me too many times with his air punching.

By the time I finally get to the real boss, I don't have enough lives to beat him.  (I seem to get hit whenever I hit him, too).

What a frustrating endgame.

Edit: although Last Alert is worse -- the last level in that game is so insanely cheap, which is bizarre given how easy the rest of the game is.
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

nat

« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
Maybe it's because I grew up on Bonk, but I find all the Bonk games insanely easy. Last time I played through Bonk's Adventure for high score in the high score area I had 27 lives in reserve after defeating the final boss. :)

Lochlan

« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »
Maybe it's because I grew up on Bonk, but I find all the Bonk games insanely easy.

Well, for me, the levels are easy, but a couple of those bosses' patterns are killing me.  Once I figure those out a bit better I'm sure I'll have an easier time.

Last time I played through Bonk's Adventure for high score in the high score area I had 27 lives in reserve after defeating the final boss. :)

:o  Wow...27 lives...jeez.  I didn't even know it was possible to get that many.
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Sinistron

« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
There's a lot of free guys and points spread around Bonk's Adventure Lochlan-

I beat Override last night- didn't use continues either. I'll spare you guys my relentless gushing on this title this time around.

My Terra Cresta II arrived today and I played it-
It's above average.  Some gorgeous background graphics here- a bit of parallex (third and fourth boards- although strangely each "stage" has two boards each with their own bosses that don't seem connected in any way- so the third board is called Stage 2-1).  I reached the 7th board- or Stage 4-1 as its called- wanted to keep going but Sue was egging me to take her to pick up her prescription.  Anyway- apart from the great backgrounds- it starts off kind of slow with not many enemies on screen- things only seem to start getting difficult from the fifth board on.  Even then its still a slow scrolling shooter- not really too intense- there's even some occasional slowdown (there is a select speed for your ship though- I kept it mostly on 3 or 4 (the highest)).  A lot of the enemies are reminiscent of enemy strings from Galaga.  The weapons are interesting- I'm not exactly sure how to explain it in detail yet but it seems that when you get a power-up you are able to switch up and place an option- or several options- in front of you up to three times for a strong wave laser. Interestingly before each board starts you can change the firing direction of the different power-up shells.  A lot of common shooter stuff is thrown at you, like exploding volcanoes, creeping vines, and maze like wall structures- however it seems almost like a fairly new experience due to the detailed (for a chip game) graphics.  The music seemed pretty decent- nothing that really grabbed me by the balls though.  The bosses have some interesting patterns but are easier to beat than the actual levels.  Overall I'd say it's an above average overhead hucard shooter- but not on the level where I place The Star Soldier games, Blazing Lazers, Override and Image Fight.  I place it higher than Final Blaster- it feels like a better play- but not by a whole lot.  So what exactly makes this an above-average shooter?  The background graphics for the most part- also I love having a tiny ship- especially when there's good hit detection- I was amazed that at times I was even able to wriggle through enemies that came out on a string- some good wriggling action though nothing as intense as Override- however it doesn't try to be so intense- it's pretty laid back for the most part- and it establishes a solid mood.  Is it worth the 100+ it regularly goes for on EBay?  No.  If you want overhead hucard shooter action at this speed you might want to save your money and pick up Final Blaster or Galaga '88/90 (though I'm sure a good number of us here have Galaga)- or you might not- lol.  It's your call.  I picked up the hucard loose for 50 on EvilBay- thanks to runin for showing me the link. 

So it's pretty good- solid even- just not great.  Definitely worth playing- but not at the high price.  If you're looking for an intense overhead hucard shooter this isn't it.  Get the Soldier games, Image Fight, BL and Override.  If you're looking for an expensive mostly laid back shooter with lush background graphics- then this is your ticket.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:46:43 PM by Sinistron »

nat

« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »
I think TC2 is a great game, and the music will grow on you. Trust me. :)

Sinistron

« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
I do think the game's above average Nat- but I must admit that I feel kind of spoiled after just being shocked by the awesomeness of the 2-meg Override  :P

nat

« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2008, 01:33:07 PM »
Next time I see Override for a decent price I'll grab it. Nobody's ever mentioned it before-- I've overlooked it many times.

Sinistron

« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
You know Nat you're 110% right.  My opinion of Terra Cresta II is completely different- I had to just pause the game now to come in and say that.  I think honestly from just playing a more busy and fluid shooter to then playing a slow one with backgrounds that are so pretty that your mind wavers that I wasn't able to judge it correctly.   The music is also MUCH better than I initially thought it to be.  The music, graphics, bosses and interesting weapon system definitely make this top shelf- it's definitely the best of the slower type shooters- makes the Dragon Spirit games look like trash in comparison.  I also like when you collect all of the ship pieces- cool shit.  This would be a great game to zone out too- another reason why I'm loving it so much right now at 5:30 in the morning  :)  Ceti you'll love this game.

ps Now I see that there really aren't bosses in the Stage .0's and that their themes are intertwined with the .2 Stages.   #-o

I also have to say now that yes, this game is worth getting- but only if it sounds like your cup of tea, and hopefully for cheaper than what it goes for. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:45:46 PM by Sinistron »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2008, 03:29:02 AM »
I played Download for  abit. I really need to put more effort into it,its pretty damn nice. Pretty good change of pace from the typical stuff I have been playing for sure.