Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88455 times)

Sinistron

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
Wow Dragon Egg! was easy- I know you guys said it was easy- but man only game I have that's easier is Niko Niko Pun.  Was a nice ten minute diversion though I guess...   :|

It's got to be a kid's game though I'm assuming...

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
I just got Burning Angels.

I almost called the Riot Police on stage 4

nat

« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
Wow Dragon Egg! was easy- I know you guys said it was easy- but man only game I have that's easier is Niko Niko Pun.  Was a nice ten minute diversion though I guess...   :|

It's got to be a kid's game though I'm assuming...

Nice game though, eh?

Too bad it was so easy.

On the "easy" note...

Somer Assault-- This game is right up there with Dragon EGG! as far as difficulty (or lack thereof) goes. You are a slinky, and your mission is to thwart an evil sorceress' plans to take over the world. The best I could describe this game is as a platform/shooter hybrid. You'll slink through all 12 levels in no time. The boss characters, all somehow related to the Zodiac are slightly more challenging than the levels themselves but you should have no trouble 1cc'ing the game on your first or second try. That is, until the final boss battle(s). You'll face a gauntlet of all 12 bosses all over again, in sequence, and then be confronted with the evil sorceress who's spirit proceeds to take on many different forms. The final boss gauntlet and battles themselves probably take up more time than the rest of the game combined (!!!).  I had no trouble clearing the game up until this point, however, I died on my initial encounter with the sorceress. While you have unlimited continues, you are only granted three lives and your, uhm, slinky is reverted to his weakest level. Also, you have to start the final battle all over again. I spent 40 minutes devising patterns and plans to best the sorceress, who then changes into three evil slinkys, and then changes a second time into three evil heads, only to fail, fail, fail every time. I think the object is probably to reach this point fully powered up and just, uh, don't die. I never did beat the three heads, so I have no idea if they morph again, but needless to say after 40 minutes I was extremely frustrated. It's a pity they didn't make the difficulty in this game a little more balanced, as you'll have lots of fun slinking around the stages trying to find the boss room. The level designs are very good for the most part, with a few that felt like they were thrown together fairly quickly. Graphics are top-notch with great character design and excellent shading on everything. You're also treated to a superb soundtrack that is just delightful which I'm 99% sure was done by the same guy who did Dungeon Explorer (both games were developed by Atlus). Expect more upbeat stuff here and less of the somber you get with DE, although just a few of the musical cues sound like they were taken straight out of DE.  I'd be utterly shocked if the same person wasn't responsible for both game's music. Despite the horrendously unbalanced difficulty, I'd still recommend this game. It's unique enough that it's got something for everyone... I sure as hell have never played anything like it, and all the good here was good enough to make the negatives seem insignificant. It's gonna bug me that I didn't finish off the final battle though, so I'll probably give it another go in a day or two. At least this time I'll know it's imperative to be fully powered up by the final battle.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
The only real challenge for most of Somer Assault is being able to find the boss before time runs out.  It's almost ridiculously easy if set your birthdate for the first stage, though it's better to set it for the last in preparation for the boss guantlet.

I can really love a good golf game.  I forget the name of the game I played back in my first run of video game hobby (circa '86-'92) but it was an entirely lost memory (now a foggy memory) until the Neo Geo fell into my lap with it's two funny and cute golf games.
It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have a real gem of a golf game of it's own (but we DO have WCT/FLT).  Could you imagine a post-Magical Chase golf game by Quest in '93? (akin to the Turf Masters/Metal Slug thing on the Geo)

Have you tried Go! Go! Birdie Chance?  It sounds like it'd be right up your alley.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Just cleared Genji Tsushin Agedama.  Great game, fantastic even  :).  Boss rush at the end conducted by a wizard , when you beat the wizard gun turrets guard a bunker- it is difficult to not get hit at least once by the wizard's two ghouls or by the gun turrets.  Then a giant purple face does some attack patterns and slopes his eyes toward you- I actually only had one hit left when I beat him- took a few tries.  Clear number 63  :D

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
My latest video

Beat the infamous Burning Angels

esteban

« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2008, 02:46:55 AM »
Despite the horrendously unbalanced difficulty, I'd still recommend this game. It's unique enough that it's got something for everyone... I sure as hell have never played anything like it, and all the good here was good enough to make the negatives seem insignificant. It's gonna bug me that I didn't finish off the final battle though, so I'll probably give it another go in a day or two. At least this time I'll know it's imperative to be fully powered up by the final battle.

You have to beat the game, dude. I agree that it is a game that should be recommended to folks. It is an odd melding of genres, so it certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I love the puzzle+action+shooting+bizzarro mechanics of this game.

Now, if I could just get you to start showin' some love for Veigues ...

I don't have Mesopotamia (yet!) ... I wonder if TTi tinkered with the difficulty levels of the game. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mesopotamia was more challenging?

|    | 

Radiantsvgun

« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
Just finished some Spriggan.

Sinistron

« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »
Power League II Pennant Mode- finally beat the team that was proving to be a real nightmare- The Carks.  Whenever they choose their left-handed pitcher for their starter he's all nastiness and really brings the business.  Well- last night- my team (the Drums) destroyed the Carks 14 zip for their seventh victory.  Knocked that left handed clown for a few loops- even rocked a grand slam off him and then they finally took his tired ass out.  I believe there's two more matches for the pennant and then I can finally chalk up Power League II as another clear.

My 1,000th post- popped my Punchy Pedro cherry.  Happy Birthday to me and all that good shit.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »
Fighting Run had me pissed me off reeeeeeeaaaal badly today.

It's that Dan Fujiyama (B-Section Pilot C, the one with the Shogun mask), he'll mind-f*ck the shit out of you with his speed and his flame thrower in addition to the obstacles

Sinistron

« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2008, 02:01:44 AM »
Was great to finally play Street Fighter II last night on the ol' Turbo- I've played this game countless times in the past but never owned a copy myself- being that I only collected TG and I didn't have a reverse tap and avenue 6's...  Thankfully Nat modded me a reverse tap earlier this year and my avenue 6 pads arrived this week.  Went to test it out last night and wound up beating it using Chun Li though I couldn't remember how to do her helicopter move  :oops:...  I know tons of people have beat this already but I've never beaten it before though I've played it countless times- you know how it is if you don't own it- I'd be playing in arcades but there'd always be some little punk jumping in who mastered all of Ken's moves and would make me look like dogshit in two seconds- and playing at friends' houses was just a parade of matches between friends- no real chance to play through the game one player.  Well anyway- was a special delight for me to finally play this on my TG.   :)

And oh yeah- what's with some of these guys being misnamed?  Vega wasn't Vega and M. Bison wasn't M. Bison...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:08:38 AM by Sinistron »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2008, 03:07:29 AM »
Alternating between Neutopia and Dungeon Explorer.

nat

« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2008, 03:45:20 AM »
Was great to finally play Street Fighter II last night on the ol' Turbo- I've played this game countless times in the past but never owned a copy myself- being that I only collected TG and I didn't have a reverse tap and avenue 6's...  Thankfully Nat modded me a reverse tap earlier this year and my avenue 6 pads arrived this week.  Went to test it out last night and wound up beating it using Chun Li though I couldn't remember how to do her helicopter move  :oops:...  I know tons of people have beat this already but I've never beaten it before though I've played it countless times- you know how it is if you don't own it- I'd be playing in arcades but there'd always be some little punk jumping in who mastered all of Ken's moves and would make me look like dogshit in two seconds- and playing at friends' houses was just a parade of matches between friends- no real chance to play through the game one player.  Well anyway- was a special delight for me to finally play this on my TG.   :)

And oh yeah- what's with some of these guys being misnamed?  Vega wasn't Vega and M. Bison wasn't M. Bison...

The naming in the Turbo version is actually "correct."

The versions you are used to playing are actually the ones with the guys misnamed-- domestic US ports which had the names altered because of potential racial issues.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2008, 04:15:12 AM »

They rotated the three names (M. Bison to Balrog, Balrog to Vega, and Vega to M. Bison) to lessen the chances of being sued by the ear chomper for infringement.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »
I'm still pounding away on Dragon Spirit. Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from Loser Spirit. I can only get to the boss on level 6. I'm getting close, but not quite there just yet. However, I know I will prevail in the end.  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"