Author Topic: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.  (Read 48817 times)

Black Tiger

Re: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
I say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.

I think that Tokimeki PCE is a game that shows how the PCE color variety balances out the limitations of the main palette. The extra detail isn't just recycled colors like a Mega-CD port might wind up and I think that the end result looks stunning. The SFC shots are bland in comparison/contrast and are heavily dithered.

I think I'm prefering the Duo M&M3 over SNES.

Screenshots aren't enough to show just how huge a difference there is. I've been dying to see how the Mega-CD version looks. I'm guessing that it's closer to the PCE version.

Might & Magic III for the pc engine and snes, this is another high resolution game, so i resized the pc engine images from 320x239 to 256x224.

Could you please keep the screenshots at their original resolution unless comparing specific proportions? The detail gets lost when resizing and you can't judge low res/low color graphics accurately when they get distorted. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »
I think Tokimeki is a tie. The SNES has smoother colors, but the images all look too bright and washed out. And I think the wider resolution helps with other elements of detail.

MM3 definitely goes to the Duo from those pics. Much more like the PC version.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

awack

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
Could you please keep the screenshots at their original resolution unless comparing specific proportions? The detail gets lost when resizing and you can't judge low res/low color graphics accurately when they get distorted.

Absolutely.

I think these will be the last of the Tokimeki Memorial shots i will be posting. The snes version has very simple textures compared to the pce version...the pce one almost looks hand painted.

PCE                                                           
                                                                             SNES

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:25:09 PM by awack »

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »
I say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.

I think that Tokimeki PCE is a game that shows how the PCE color variety balances out the limitations of the main palette. The extra detail isn't just recycled colors like a Mega-CD port might wind up and I think that the end result looks stunning. The SFC shots are bland in comparison/contrast and are heavily dithered.

I know where you're coming from and I think the make up of detail for the lack of shading in some screenshots looks cool (like the shadows of the trees here), but there are some painful shades that stick out. There is a shade of yellow and green (yack!) on the salmon color road due to lack of proper shades to fill in (I think I would've swapped the green with white). This shot shows some digital artifact looking blocks on the building's exterior, with shades of green taking over the grey in the window area, opposed to smooth grey shading of the SFC version. And here is another very appearent example of shading limitations when you take a look at the pink infested wall! Again, I do acknowledge the point you are making and love the more artistic look the PCE's limitations gives off, but sometimes improper color usage like that can annoy me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
The snes version has very simple textures compared to the pce version...the pce one almost looks hand painted.

This is exactly how I look at it. Backgrounds like these from Tokimeki Memorial and games like Kabukiden remind me of backgrounds from Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke and Totoro, which use a deceptively simple style of painting that looks more real than a regular photo.

I know where you're coming from and I think the make up of detail for the lack of shading in some screenshots looks cool (like the shadows of the trees here), but there are some painful shades that stick out. There is a shade of yellow and green (yack!) on the salmon color road due to lack of proper shades to fill in (I think I would've swapped the green with white). This shot shows some digital artifact looking blocks on the building's exterior, with shades of green taking over the grey in the window area, opposed to smooth grey shading of the SFC version. And here is another very appearent example of shading limitations when you take a look at the pink infested wall! Again, I do acknowledge the point you are making and love the more artistic look the PCE's limitations gives off, but sometimes improper color usage like that can annoy me.

In the case of the yellow and green on the road, other colors would've worked better, but it's not because of a lack of compatible colors in the PCE palette. The developer should've cleaned something like that up. What stands out more to me, are the bottom two shades that look like realistic colored shadows cast by a sunset. The bottom shade on the SFC shot looks stands out against the peach colors and looks greenish in comparison. Kinda like the bland equivalent of the bright mismatched colors in the PCE shot. Also, the SFC scene dithers green against maroon/purple and further back just splotches the two together. Like with the PCE version, It's not a shortcoming of the hardware, the pixel artist should've done a better job.

The green mixed with the gray is a plus for me, Whether it was meant to be artistic or is a result of a quick conversion, like other sections such as the green and raspberry mixed in with the brown on the wooden stage, it looks all the more like a real painting. But not a soulless photo-realistic painting. I don't know what the term is, but here's the best example I could find quickly-

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/images/wallpapers/illidan/illidan-800x.jpg

I've probably talked about this with you before, but for the sake of discussion... Since all 16-bit console game graphics use very few colors per section, using shades or colors that are too similar can be a waste and not 'pop' like a select staggering. It really depends on how it's done, because many PCE games don't use they best colors just as many SFC games turned out too bland or dull looking at times.

But pictures like the backgrounds in Tokimeki are something different and look beautiful to me.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
The SFC shots look cleaner since it doesn't have the sometimes-dirty dithered look, but the SFC version doesn't have the detail of the PCE version, nor does it fill the screen.

I'll take the PCE version. (And once you add in the voices, CD music, and the whachamacall it shooter mini-game, there's just no contest).

Tatsujin

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
there's just no contest).

:!:

that counts for sheer all the date sims on pce vs. other (non cd) consoles.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 05:36:12 AM »
The SFC shots look cleaner since it doesn't have the sometimes-dirty dithered look, but the SFC version doesn't have the detail of the PCE version, nor does it fill the screen.

I'll take the PCE version. (And once you add in the voices, CD music, and the whachamacall it shooter mini-game, there's just no contest).

Agreed.  The SFC version looks bland and flat compared to the PCE version, not to mention that all the people have disappeared from the SFC version.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 04:54:03 AM »
At times, I prefer the PCE screens.

At other times, however, I prefer the SFC screens.

|    | 

spenoza

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »
Esteban, are you DARING to suggest that the SFC was a competent machine, capable of producing fun? Because that kind of talk will get you killed around here...

"New York City!?!?!?!" "Get a rope!" Ah, the classic Pace commercials...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:53:07 AM by spenoza »
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

esteban

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 06:25:16 AM »
Esteban, are you DARING to suggest that the SFC was a competent machine, capable of producing fun? Because that kind of talk will get you killed around here...
:)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
Esteban and his smiley from hell. He tries to fool you into thinking it's a friendly gesture, but no, that smiley is the frickin' devil!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »
This thread rules.  More comparisons from various games.  MORE!!

awack

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »
Not the exact same game but close enough. I included some item crashes.

SNES

PCE

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:19:59 AM by awack »

Tatsujin

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

damn i've never seen this scene. how to do that? :oops: :oops: :oops:

OT: not really hardto judge of which has the better graphics :lol: :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^