Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo/R/RX: Laser Swap & Adjustment Guide  (Read 29068 times)

bartre

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo/R/RX: Laser Swap & Adjustment Guide
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
question, where can i get the grease?
can i get it off electronix so i can save on shipping?

blueraven

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »
Any electronic store, Radio Shack, or major-chain store that has an electronics section.

can i get it off electronix so i can save on shipping?

I've only bought lasers from them.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

incrediblehark

I've been at the pot adjustment for a while, but just can't get the disc to load properly. after adjusting each one i can get the disc to spin, appear to try to read, spin faster then the led goes out and "please set disc" if vr102 and vr104 effect getting the disc to physically spin, then i assume my issues are more with vr101, 103, and 105. but after an hour and a half of adjustments, still no progress. most of the time the acces light goes out and starts back up, like its resetting and trying to read over and over...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:43:54 AM by incrediblehark »

BlueBMW

incrediblehark, I have a Duo right now that exibits the same issue :-k  Is this the unit you're doing the capacitor swap on?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

incrediblehark

yeah it is, i finished all of the caps (except for the two I mentioned to you through pm) and even got a second replacement hop-m3 that i made sure not to fiddle with this time. I can tweak the pots to get the cdrom spinning and pretty quiet, except for a few squeals when its attempting to read the disc, but no go. any time i feel like im making progress the access light goes out like the power gets cut off or something.

BlueBMW

yeah it is, i finished all of the caps (except for the two I mentioned to you through pm) and even got a second replacement hop-m3 that i made sure not to fiddle with this time. I can tweak the pots to get the cdrom spinning and pretty quiet, except for a few squeals when its attempting to read the disc, but no go. any time i feel like im making progress the access light goes out like the power gets cut off or something.

I'll be investigating this issue some more.  I'll get back to you once I figure out what's wrong with my unit.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

when i was adjusting mine i had the same issues.
all the pots had to be close to get any CDR to read/load
i used an original/stamped cd and was able to get it to load with the pots near center.
i than slowly adjusted with a CDR till i had solid reads

Charlie

I agree...this sounds like the normal "can't quite get the pots set right" problem.  This has happened to every CD drive I have repaired.  You need to move the pots in small increments (then wait a second or two) until you get the desired results, then keep going until it dies, then go back to the middle sweet spot.  

Of course, if you have a VOM, it's quite a bit easier.  I'm sure the voltages are on some thread here somewhere.

Charlie
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:25:27 PM by Charlie »

Keith Courage

I have had two units in the past that exhibited random sounds skips and or stopping. Turned out there was something up with the rails that the lens moved on. I switched the two rails around and it started working just fine. So I assume the lens was hanging up somehow on them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:45:07 PM by Keith Courage »

thesteve

i have seen the same thing and cleaning the rails and gears, than regreasing solved

raylyd

hi every one can some one help me i have been working on a japan pc engine duo for 3 months with the vr pots to try and get it to load discs
and  :cry: still nothing the new laser i have tryed on a other mates unit and works so i know the laser is ok tested
if someone would help me that would be cool.
i would even be willing to send it to someone.
i am in the uk but willing to pay to fix this unit.

BlueBMW

Have you replaced all the capacitors on this unit?  I have had several Duos that would not read cds despite pot adjustments.  After a cap swap, thy read cds just fine.

thesteve

if its a -R or -RX, try resoldering the pots, as these are not surface mount and coupled with a poor quality board verry likely have damaged solder joints, or runs on them

geise

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »
I just bought a new HOP-M3 laser.  No problem getting it installed.  All my problem games with audio cut out or loading issues are completely fixed.  Every game I threw at it that had issues with my old laser is gone!  :dance:  However, I now have a fairly audible high pitched "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound.  So I'm guessing I need to adjust the pots?  I really don't want to mess with them since I am not having any read issues.  Is there a certain pot that might silence the sound.  I would like to know which pot to go for first.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 06:20:36 AM »
Use a fine tip sharpie and make line across the case and adjustment knob, then you can set right back to all your sweet spots.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:06:38 AM by bust3dstr8 »
Clowns Suck