Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - Laseractive NEC PAC-N1 / N10: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 7085 times)

hardgb

It is actually a CDR yes, it was just to take the test. :roll:

hardgb

Hi Guys, I had some problems and had to sell my LaserActive forgive me but it was necessary  :cry:... but the good news is that in the same week, I found another LaserActive he is in trouble but the value was low and bought. :lol:
This LaserActive works with Mega Drive cartridges, but when I put a CD, it works for a few minutes (1 minute maximum 2 minutes) and soon after turn off the lights CD and LD and does not eject the tray. Back up and running again after a few hours.
Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Are they the plate capacitors connected directly to the CAP?

thesteve

take a good look at the supply
lights out is supply in most cases, but they dont recover

choijimmy

I got same problem a while back. I bet it is capacitors issue

From my FAQ in page 1:
update:
Q: my laser active works fine for around 1 minute whenever I shut it down for a while(say 10+ hours). Within the first min, it is able to play cd/ld. However, after a minute, both green lights on the front panel are off And No longer play disc. You have to wait for another 10+ hours to get the 1 min working timeframe.
A: this issue drives me crazy.... I found the root cause is the PCB board directly connected to the PAC had capacitor issue. I replaced all the caps on that board and now it works fine.

hardgb

I switched capacitors board, connected directly to PAC mega drive. Thus the problem of turning off lights and not eject the CD tray / LD has been resolved.
But I still do not spin in CD / LD.
Already checked the fisiveis are all working (have continued).
Note: I realized that when I put the CD in the tray, it rises, but not enough to touch the top base (white round cover)
I do not know if this is related to the problem.

thesteve

and that is a worn belt

hardgb

I did not have time to repair my LaserActive
but now I could replace the belt, and it worked it's returned to work perfectly. I am very happy with everyone's help. Thank you
See how was:

choijimmy

awesome

wmsteele

Hello, I've recently replaced all 80 smd caps on a Sega PAC for the laseractive. Very pleased with the result, have been working on my soldering skills for a few years, this was by far the largest job I've attempted. Luckily the caps weren't that bad, most had started leaking but not to the extent of doing much damage. By some small miracle all the caps were removed without lifting a single trace, result!

The laseractive is now almost fully functional... LD movies and mega LD play just fine, have a few movies and one mega LD game (Pyramid Patrol) all working without a hitch. The CD drive is also fully functional, audio and JPN mega CD games play perfectly. I've successfully changed the region on a few USA games and they are working fine as well (using SCDToolz 3.55).

The one issue I have is cartridge based games, all I get is a black screen when powering the unit with a cart connected to the PAC. I had originally thought this was due to me having a JPN region PAC-S1 but no JPN cartridge games. The mega CD games I have running are all JPN, USA/PAL discs don't work without altering region. So I ordered a JPN cartridge game, this arrived today but gives the same black screen as my PAL cartridges (I'm in the UK so everything easily available is PAL here). I also have a mega Everdrive and this also results in a black screen... weird.

Both PAC cart connector and cartridges have been thoroughly cleaned with no change in behavior... same black screen. I'm now lost as to what to try next... any ideas??

Have attached some pics of my soldering wizardry :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:03:19 AM by wmsteele »

thesteve

flip it over and try again

wmsteele

OMG... Thanks so much, thats it!

Cant believe that  ](*,)

It just makes sense the label should face up, guess not!

Oh well, Sega PAC is fully working, plays PAL carts just fine as well, Everdrive also works perfectly and can be used with a region free bios for mega CD games  :D

Time now to start looking for a N1 PAC...

BlueBMW

Most pacs originally had a little sticker on them instructing you to insert the cart label face down.  I suspect someone removed it already
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

wmsteele

For future noobs like myself...

Bloufo

For future noobs like myself...

The one good thing about it connecting that way is that when one uses one of those tototek converter carts, the Mark III cart and MyCard games stand nicely upwards.