Author Topic: Capcom Classics Collection  (Read 3331 times)

supergrafxpcengine2

Capcom Classics Collection
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2005, 01:55:36 PM »
btw here's a decent Gamefaqs.com review of CCC for PS2

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R93248.html

Import gamers from the 32-bit era will remember that Capcom released a series of their classic arcade games under the moniker "Capcom Generations" on the Sony PSX and Sega Saturn consoles beginning in August of 1998. This series of nostalgic games ran for 5 volumes, and it was Capcom's attempt to cash in on the then popular "retro-gaming" craze that was so popular during that time (Namco Museum series, Midway Collection, etc).

The Capcom Generations series featured arcade flyers, exclusive artwork, profiles on the development of each game, and in some volumes arranged and remixed soundtracks. Certain features could be unlocked after achieving certain objectives, such as beating the game on a certain difficulty or scoring a specific number of points.

Basically, ALL of the games and features included on the Capcom Generation series are included on the Capcom Classics Collection. So right from the start it was a no brainer. Digital Eclipse (the publishers) just had to emulate North American versions of the games included on the Capcom Generation series and the Digital Eclipse had 95% of their work done.

Unfortunately for the Street Fighter fans, Digital Eclipse chose to emulate the PSX version of Capcom Generations 5 (also known as Street Fighter Collection 2 in North America) for this compilation. Why did they do this incredibly lazy and absurd move is beyond me. The options for the SFII games are EXACTLY those present on Capcom Generation 5 (Street Fighter Collection 2): Versus Mode, Training, Mode, CPU Battle, and Deluxe Versus Mode. It is clearly evident that the PSX version was emulated since you can clearly see the familiar "Now Loading..." text between bouts. I'm pretty sure the PS2 could handle a 14 year old CPS-I game without having a "Now Loading..." screen. The least they could have done was to emulate the Sega Saturn version which had no loading times. Although it is a very minor complaint it just proves that this compilation isn't "arcade perfect" as it claims to be.

And another complaint concerning the SF series needs to be addressed: why were the CPS-I SFII games the only SFII games available on this compilation? What about the original game that started the series back in 1987, Street Fighter? What about the two CPS-II upgrades to the SFII series, Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II: Turbo? This further proves that the publishers of this compilation took the lazy route and decided to port the 32-bit conversions rather than go through the trouble of emulating the original arcade games. It's sad, since Capcom Generation 5 for the PSX wasn't 100% identical to the arcade (at least to to the die hard SFII fans).

Now this isn't to say that the Capcom Classics Collection isn't without merits. Digital Eclipse did make one brilliant move: they decided to to include the Arcade version of Final Fight on this compilation, which to me is worth the price of admission. There never has been a true 100% port of the original Final Fight on any console to date. The closest attempt was Final Fight CD for the Mega-CD console, which featured an awesome remixed soundtrack, redrawn and expanded cinemas, cool voice overs in the cinemas (at least in the Japanese version), and an exclusive Time Attack mode. Although that game was incredible, it suffered from the Mega Drive's meager 64 color palette (making it look washed out and pale compared to the arcade version), a few missing items, and it didn't have the original arcade BGMs. Well, the Capcom Classics Collection brings the arcade classic straight onto your PS2 exactly as you have remembered it. So Final Fight fanatics can finally die in peace knowing that there is an 100% arcade perfect port of Final Fight on a home console.

But thankfully Digital Eclipse didn't stop there. They included Forgotten Worlds (yes, the original arcade version, not the Mega Drive port), Legendary Wings, Trojan, Section Z, and Bionic Commando. These games are all arcade accurate (as far as I know) and are well worth their weight in nostalgic value.

The publishers also decided to include Remixed and Arranged tracks of the all the games soundtracks (which wasn't that hard since they were available on the Capcom Generations series to begin with). They also included trivia and unlockable artwork which can be done by completing certain objectives (again, just like in Capcom Generations).

This compilation is truly valuable (especially to non-import gamers who missed out on the 32-bit Capcom Generation series) but you can't help but feel that the list of classics included on this disc is incomplete. What about Saturday Night Slam Masters (Muscle Bomber) and it's upgrade, Muscle Bomber DUO? The only port we had of this game was a mediocre Super NES port. It would have been nice to have an arcade perfect port on this compilation. And what about Strider Hiryu? If that game isn't a Capcom classic than I don't know what is. Where is Darkstalkers? Black Tiger? Block Block? Capcom Baseball? F-1 Dream? Avengers? Tiger Road? Buster Brothers? 1941? 19XX? Eco Fighter? Armored Warriors? Speed Rumbler? Mad Gear? Cyberbots? Dynasty Warriors? Magic Sword? Varth? U.N. Squadron? Carrier Air Wing? Captain Commando? Knights of the Round? King of Dragons? Mega Twins? Side Arms? All of these games are considered Capcom classics by most gamers, yet they are mysteriously omitted.

And then there are some other Capcom classics which I'm sure were omitted because they were licensed properties. Classics like The Punisher (one of Capcom's greatest beat 'em up games of all time), Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, NEMO, Willow, and Alien Vs Predator would have been excellent additions. Hopefully a Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 can rectify this.

And I know this is nitpicking, but the presentation in CCC is downright disgusting. The presentation is extremely poor and low budget, which lets me definitely know that this compilation was rushed. The whole menu layout is presented as if it were on a notebook or looseleaf scrap paper, and it looks incredibly crappy. I don't know what Digital Eclipse was smoking when they thought about designing the menu layout, but it's pure crap. If they were going to emulate the Capcom Generation series, they might as well have copied the presentation and layout Capcom used in the Generation series, which was more pleasing to the eye.

Overall, considering it's incredibly reasonable price ($19.99), the inclusion of Final Fight, and overall nostalgic value, CCC is a good deal. However, those who imported the entire Capcom Generation series Volumes 1 through 5 for their PSX and Saturn might feel ripped off, as they would be playing the same EXACT versions of those games on that they had on the 32-bit consoles, with several extra titles thrown in. The owners of various PC emulators such as MAME shouldn't even bother, as they already have access to the best Capcom has to offer and with more flexible graphics and control options.

PROS:

- An Arcade perfect console port of Final Fight, finally!!!!
- Incredibly cheap (Only $19.99)
- A large collection of Capcom arcade classics on one disk
- Excellent for those who missed out on the Capcom Generation series Vol. 1 through 5 for the PSX and Sega Saturn back in 1998

CONS:

- Very little incentive for those import gamers who own the entire Capcom Generations Vol. 1 through 5 for the PSX and Saturn (considering that is what makes up 90% of this compilation). The only games that you are missing out on are Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Bionic Commando, Section Z, Trojan, and Legendary Wings.

- The versions of the CPS-I Street Fighter II games are based on the PSX version of Street Fighter Collection 2 (Capcom Generation 5) and are NOT arcade emulations. Loading times are inexcusable. The original 1987 Street Fighter and the CPS-II SFII upgrades (Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II: Turbo) are suspiciously absent, thus making the representation of Street Fighter games incomplete.

- A TON of classics are missing (Strider, U.N. Squadron, Slam Masters, Mega Twins, King of Dragons, Dark Stalkers, etc)

-Very sloppy and poor presentation. The menu design looks like crap, what was Digital Eclipse thinking?

TR0N

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2005, 08:00:46 PM »
Quote from: "supergrafxpcengine2"
btw here's a decent Gamefaqs.com review of CCC for PS2

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R93248.html

Import gamers from the 32-bit era will remember that Capcom released a series of their classic arcade games under the moniker "Capcom Generations" on the Sony PSX and Sega Saturn consoles beginning in August of 1998. This series of nostalgic games ran for 5 volumes, and it was Capcom's attempt to cash in on the then popular "retro-gaming" craze that was so popular during that time (Namco Museum series, Midway Collection, etc).

The Capcom Generations series featured arcade flyers, exclusive artwork, profiles on the development of each game, and in some volumes arranged and remixed soundtracks. Certain features could be unlocked after achieving certain objectives, such as beating the game on a certain difficulty or scoring a specific number of points.

Basically, ALL of the games and features included on the Capcom Generation series are included on the Capcom Classics Collection. So right from the start it was a no brainer. Digital Eclipse (the publishers) just had to emulate North American versions of the games included on the Capcom Generation series and the Digital Eclipse had 95% of their work done.

Unfortunately for the Street Fighter fans, Digital Eclipse chose to emulate the PSX version of Capcom Generations 5 (also known as Street Fighter Collection 2 in North America) for this compilation. Why did they do this incredibly lazy and absurd move is beyond me. The options for the SFII games are EXACTLY those present on Capcom Generation 5 (Street Fighter Collection 2): Versus Mode, Training, Mode, CPU Battle, and Deluxe Versus Mode. It is clearly evident that the PSX version was emulated since you can clearly see the familiar "Now Loading..." text between bouts. I'm pretty sure the PS2 could handle a 14 year old CPS-I game without having a "Now Loading..." screen. The least they could have done was to emulate the Sega Saturn version which had no loading times. Although it is a very minor complaint it just proves that this compilation isn't "arcade perfect" as it claims to be.

And another complaint concerning the SF series needs to be addressed: why were the CPS-I SFII games the only SFII games available on this compilation? What about the original game that started the series back in 1987, Street Fighter? What about the two CPS-II upgrades to the SFII series, Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II: Turbo? This further proves that the publishers of this compilation took the lazy route and decided to port the 32-bit conversions rather than go through the trouble of emulating the original arcade games. It's sad, since Capcom Generation 5 for the PSX wasn't 100% identical to the arcade (at least to to the die hard SFII fans).

Now this isn't to say that the Capcom Classics Collection isn't without merits. Digital Eclipse did make one brilliant move: they decided to to include the Arcade version of Final Fight on this compilation, which to me is worth the price of admission. There never has been a true 100% port of the original Final Fight on any console to date. The closest attempt was Final Fight CD for the Mega-CD console, which featured an awesome remixed soundtrack, redrawn and expanded cinemas, cool voice overs in the cinemas (at least in the Japanese version), and an exclusive Time Attack mode. Although that game was incredible, it suffered from the Mega Drive's meager 64 color palette (making it look washed out and pale compared to the arcade version), a few missing items, and it didn't have the original arcade BGMs. Well, the Capcom Classics Collection brings the arcade classic straight onto your PS2 exactly as you have remembered it. So Final Fight fanatics can finally die in peace knowing that there is an 100% arcade perfect port of Final Fight on a home console.

But thankfully Digital Eclipse didn't stop there. They included Forgotten Worlds (yes, the original arcade version, not the Mega Drive port), Legendary Wings, Trojan, Section Z, and Bionic Commando. These games are all arcade accurate (as far as I know) and are well worth their weight in nostalgic value.

The publishers also decided to include Remixed and Arranged tracks of the all the games soundtracks (which wasn't that hard since they were available on the Capcom Generations series to begin with). They also included trivia and unlockable artwork which can be done by completing certain objectives (again, just like in Capcom Generations).

This compilation is truly valuable (especially to non-import gamers who missed out on the 32-bit Capcom Generation series) but you can't help but feel that the list of classics included on this disc is incomplete. What about Saturday Night Slam Masters (Muscle Bomber) and it's upgrade, Muscle Bomber DUO? The only port we had of this game was a mediocre Super NES port. It would have been nice to have an arcade perfect port on this compilation. And what about Strider Hiryu? If that game isn't a Capcom classic than I don't know what is. Where is Darkstalkers? Black Tiger? Block Block? Capcom Baseball? F-1 Dream? Avengers? Tiger Road? Buster Brothers? 1941? 19XX? Eco Fighter? Armored Warriors? Speed Rumbler? Mad Gear? Cyberbots? Dynasty Warriors? Magic Sword? Varth? U.N. Squadron? Carrier Air Wing? Captain Commando? Knights of the Round? King of Dragons? Mega Twins? Side Arms? All of these games are considered Capcom classics by most gamers, yet they are mysteriously omitted.

And then there are some other Capcom classics which I'm sure were omitted because they were licensed properties. Classics like The Punisher (one of Capcom's greatest beat 'em up games of all time), Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, NEMO, Willow, and Alien Vs Predator would have been excellent additions. Hopefully a Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 can rectify this.

And I know this is nitpicking, but the presentation in CCC is downright disgusting. The presentation is extremely poor and low budget, which lets me definitely know that this compilation was rushed. The whole menu layout is presented as if it were on a notebook or looseleaf scrap paper, and it looks incredibly crappy. I don't know what Digital Eclipse was smoking when they thought about designing the menu layout, but it's pure crap. If they were going to emulate the Capcom Generation series, they might as well have copied the presentation and layout Capcom used in the Generation series, which was more pleasing to the eye.

Overall, considering it's incredibly reasonable price ($19.99), the inclusion of Final Fight, and overall nostalgic value, CCC is a good deal. However, those who imported the entire Capcom Generation series Volumes 1 through 5 for their PSX and Saturn might feel ripped off, as they would be playing the same EXACT versions of those games on that they had on the 32-bit consoles, with several extra titles thrown in. The owners of various PC emulators such as MAME shouldn't even bother, as they already have access to the best Capcom has to offer and with more flexible graphics and control options.

PROS:

- An Arcade perfect console port of Final Fight, finally!!!!
- Incredibly cheap (Only $19.99)
- A large collection of Capcom arcade classics on one disk
- Excellent for those who missed out on the Capcom Generation series Vol. 1 through 5 for the PSX and Sega Saturn back in 1998

CONS:

- Very little incentive for those import gamers who own the entire Capcom Generations Vol. 1 through 5 for the PSX and Saturn (considering that is what makes up 90% of this compilation). The only games that you are missing out on are Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Bionic Commando, Section Z, Trojan, and Legendary Wings.

- The versions of the CPS-I Street Fighter II games are based on the PSX version of Street Fighter Collection 2 (Capcom Generation 5) and are NOT arcade emulations. Loading times are inexcusable. The original 1987 Street Fighter and the CPS-II SFII upgrades (Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II: Turbo) are suspiciously absent, thus making the representation of Street Fighter games incomplete.

- A TON of classics are missing (Strider, U.N. Squadron, Slam Masters, Mega Twins, King of Dragons, Dark Stalkers, etc)

-Very sloppy and poor presentation. The menu design looks like crap, what was Digital Eclipse thinking?

Good read there any ways i have both, Generations/Saturn and CCC for my PS2.

So it doesn't bother me that much any more.

My only nick pick about it is, CCC should have had a vertical mode :evil:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

GUTS

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »
At leat that guy realized that they didn't include some games because of them being licensed properties, it was pretty annoying seeing people screaming "WHERES DUNGEONS & DRAGONS CAPCOM U SUCK!!" when the compilation first came out.  Personally I wish they would have upped the price to cover licensing fees and included some of those games, I would have gladly paid $50 for a 4 player version of D&D Shadow over Mystara.

Black Tiger

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2005, 05:17:42 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
At leat that guy realized that they didn't include some games because of them being licensed properties, it was pretty annoying seeing people screaming "WHERES DUNGEONS & DRAGONS CAPCOM U SUCK!!" when the compilation first came out.  Personally I wish they would have upped the price to cover licensing fees and included some of those games, I would have gladly paid $50 for a 4 player version of D&D Shadow over Mystara.

If there are more people like you(and me), and we prove it buy making CCC Vol1 a good enough seller, then we will see the AD&D games along with pretty much anything else if theyu keep selling.

Has anyone else seen the Capcom 3-in-1 TV game system/stick? After seeing in a local flyer that it was released, I went straight to the nearest Best Buy to check it out.

I told myself that even though I had a Capcom themed MAME cabinet(made from a real arcade cab), most of the Saturn Capcom sets and several real Capcom arcades, that I'd still buy it if the 8 - 12 games included something like Side Arms or Black Tiger along with the givens like Dai' and Makaimura.

So I get there and it turns out that the games it comes with are Commando, 1943 and GnG. For $30. And that they're going to sell game packs(1 game-per pack is what it implies with the Megaman advert) seperately, like a regular game console.

I still feel that I should buy it on basic principle that it an classic arcade dedicated Capcom system. But I can honestly say that I would use it much in its current form and I've still got a huge X-Mas shopping list.

So I'll probably wind up buying it eventually. But I was very dissapointed.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

MotherGunner

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2005, 07:11:56 AM »
Im just waiting for the PSP versions of Ys, and CCC.  That will make me buy a PSP.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TR0N

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2005, 05:45:36 PM »
Quote from: "MotherGunner"
Im just waiting for the PSP versions of Ys, and CCC.  That will make me buy a PSP.

Still that was a dirty trick by Crapcom since i wanted 1941.

Insted you have to buy the, PSP version of CCC to play it :evil:

Keranu

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2005, 06:05:47 PM »
I hate Capcom.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MotherGunner

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
And not to mention, they are throwing in Sidearms
-MG

akamichi

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38:45 PM »
The games people want to play on PS2 (or on TV) they put on PSP.  Thanks a lot Capcom.  Hell, I only use my PSP for emulators anyway.  If the PSP CCC version was released on PS2, I'd buy it, but I won't buy the PSP version.

I'd be extra pissed off if they included Shadow over Mystara on PSP.  That's one of my most favorite games.  I wish they would make another.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2005, 04:21:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the PSP version of CCC since there will most likley be a volume 2. I know a lot of people that bought volume 1 in person and online. If you look on the side of the case it says Volume 1 so that's a good sign. Most likely the next release will have a lot of CPS1 games and a few CPS2 games. Either way, atleast they are making these. Now isn't Taito making a collections release or something? Man I would kill for SNK old arcade games like P.O.W. Guerilla War etc.. and also some Data East arcade games. Technos is another company that made some really good classics as well. I am tired of all these Namco and Midway Classics. You probably played them on almost any system over the years. As for Midway I wasn't really all too impressed with the recent release for X-box.

TR0N

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2005, 06:11:53 PM »
Quote from: "SNKNostalgia"
Now isn't Taito making a collections release or something?

Yeah they have they got two volumes in japan all ready.

Note here's the Europe&USA version.

All 3 games have been out for a while.

I still need to pick up Taito Legends for myself.

nodtveidt

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2005, 06:18:32 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
I'd be extra pissed off if they included Shadow over Mystara on PSP.  That's one of my most favorite games.  I wish they would make another.

The AD&D arcade games were mad fun...I wish there were more as well. It's a system definately worthy of sequel after sequel.

MotherGunner

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2005, 07:26:40 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the PSP version of CCC since there will most likley be a volume 2. I know a lot of people that bought volume 1 in person and online. If you look on the side of the case it says Volume 1 so that's a good sign. Most likely the next release will have a lot of CPS1 games and a few CPS2 games. Either way, atleast they are making these. Now isn't Taito making a collections release or something? Man I would kill for SNK old arcade games like P.O.W. Guerilla War etc.. and also some Data East arcade games. Technos is another company that made some really good classics as well. I am tired of all these Namco and Midway Classics. You probably played them on almost any system over the years. As for Midway I wasn't really all too impressed with the recent release for X-box.

Man I had forgotten about POW, that game was awesome!
-MG

Black Tiger

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
Quote from: "MotherGunner"

Man I had forgotten about POW, that game was awesome!

I have the pcb and ocassionally put it in my cocktail-cabinet-coffee-table.

Although its supposed to just be an average beat 'em up, people love playing it, whether they're 'gamers' or not.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2005, 05:24:13 PM »
POW had a really satisfying feeling when you punch and kick guys, plus the whole Rambo type scenario was awesome.  I love the NES version cause it's so fun to punch fools in the face then shoot them with the machine gun.