Author Topic: Who's still playing their Wii?  (Read 13838 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Who's still playing their Wii?
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
I think a "shitload" is an exaggeration for the Cube/Wii, as those libraries are not ... that great.  It's hit or miss, but mostly miss. 

and this is coming from someone who got Wii and Cube both on Day 1 and spent countless hours trying to delude myself into saying oh they aren't bad.   I think I have played every Gamecube game.   While there are enough games to justify getting one, especially now, "a shitload of good games" is not how I'd describe it.   If you asked me which had more good games, Tiger handhelds, or the Cube, I'd have to stop and think about it, because it's that close.

I had this twilight period after the Wii launch where Cube games were worthless.  It let me play through large portions of the library that I never got to outside of rentals for basically nothing.

Even some of the "OMG GET IT" games like Viewtiful Joe lost their momentum like 45% of the way through.

Metroid Prime was barely good the first time.  It got worse.  The Wii one was a shit pile ruined by the gimmick controls.

StarFox on cube was a Zelda game with StarFox characters.

Cube was basically a slap in the face to Nintendo fans.  I don't get why people accept that shit as awesome. 

people mostly use Cubes now for the GBA player.   It's great for that, honestly.   and for the RE1 remake.

and, as Michirin just demonstrated, people mostly use Wii for emulating other stuff.

If the most popular use of a machine is to use it to play another consoles stuff.... the console is a joke.

Wii betrayed us quite a few times.   Twilight Princess is easier than a drunk college chick that just got dumped.  We only saw Kid Icarus through Pit being in Brawl.   NiGHTS was a f*cking travesty.  Gimmick controls and increasingly dumb design ruined Skyward Sword, and made Prime 3 boring and tedious.

Some of the best Wii experiences are like

the Kirby anniversary pack.

... of old games

Again though, there were enough OK games to justify having one, but I can't see the "shitload" of good games thing.   

I'd also have to say, setting up emulating PCE CD on a PC isn't really any more complicated than the Wii Homebrew channel crap.  The lack of big glowing PRESS HERE TO GAME buttons doesn't mean it's hard.

There's more presetup for Wii than there is just dropping the BIOS in the right folder, and loading a ROM or CD in an emulator on a PC.

It's not as bad as softmodding an Xbox, but it's still arguably more effort than just doing it on a computer.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Michirin9801

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
To be honest, I pretty much don't use my Wii for playing actual Wii games anymore (even though there are still quite a few Wii games that I want to play eventually) I just use it as an emulation machine,

This is what pisses me off about the console. The emulation and "store" charges you $4.99 for games that you already have.
Or what if you didn't have the games and only got to experience them in the first place because they were released on the Wii? Because that was exactly my case! If it wasn't for the Virtual Console I most likely wouldn't even know the TurboGrafx-16 even existed because I wasn't born back when it was a thing, same with Mega Drive, I wouldn't have bothered to play it had the games not been released on the Wii, and you know what? I'm an adamant defender of digital distribution of older games like the Virtual Console because not only does that mean that more people can experience those older games that they otherwise wouldn't, but also because at least that way I'm giving my money to the publishers, and in some cases the developers who own/made the game instead of some ebay randoes, but if you already owned the game, there's nobody forcing you to buy it again, if you wanna play it just go and play your own copy...

Besides, the Wii is the ONLY game system in which you can play Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, TurboGrafx-16/CD, NES AND Neo Geo legally on the same system, which pretty much makes it the best game system ever by default... (Except the Game Boy Advance is still No. 1 for being a handheld SNES-on-steroids)

I've recently installed Retroarch on mine, and now I can play CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo on it using my Classic Controller Pro (which btw is probably the best controller Nintendo made since the SNES controller, minus the D-pad which is not as good as the one on the Wiimote itself or on their handhelds) and well, it works pretty well! It won't run every game, In fact, I think it runs less than half of the games,

Again, half the games run under emulation. This is beyond a fail.
For those particular systems, which I hadn't tried to emulate before, and also, my Wii is outdated, an update could fix that... Everything else (like NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, MD, SMS, GG, NGPC, GCN, Sega CD, PCE, SuperGrafx, PCECD, PC-FX, WonderSwan/Colour) run the vast majority of the games pretty much flawlessly, and if that's a fail, then I don't know what a win is...

I'm just not playing them anymore because I've already beaten most of them and I'd rather play TurboGrafx-16/CD through WiiMednafen on it instead

Ok, that's the point. Right here. That the Wii is so shitty, that the only possible use for it is that you can play turbo games for it on a CRT. WHY NOT JUST PLAY TURBO.
Because I don't have one? Because I can't afford one? Keep in mind that not everyone in the world has deep pockets but they still want to enjoy retro-gaming, and I'd rather pay $5 for Bonk's Adventure on my Wii than $25 for a loose HuCard, or just play Sapphire for free on WiiMednafen...
Not to mention that I can play it on the same system that I can play Super Mario World, Granada, Banjo Kazooie, Bloody Roar Primal Fury, Castlevania III (JP version with the better music) Samurai Shodown II, Muramasa the Demon Blade and Doom, on my CRT, with a controller in my hands, with little-to-no hassle in the configuration, and that is something that I personally can only get on my Wii, I know other people can do that on other systems, but I can't...

Also, I said in my post that there are still plenty of Wii games that I still want to play, but haven't gotten around to... Just because I'm not in a rush to play those games doesn't mean that the system is bad, it just means that the TurboGrafx is better...

I think a "shitload" is an exaggeration for the Cube/Wii, as those libraries are not ... that great.  It's hit or miss, but mostly miss. 
Look, I know most of the library is shovelware, but the same thing can be said about the DS and PS2 (in fact, much more so for the DS which barely has any good games in it, even the first-party Nintendo stuff was s*** on the DS) but everyone raves about how great the PS2 and DS were... The PS2 I can see, but the DS? C'mon...
But the games that are good on the Wii and the Game Cube I think are really good... You see, the thing is that I REALLY like Nintendo games, and while the Zeldas weren't as good on the Wii, everything else was, especially Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are like, my No. 2 favourite game of all time (I count them both as just one game because 2 is basically 1 with Yoshi and new stages) and the Wario games were really good on both, the Paper Mario games, Pikmin was great, I didn't care much for Metroid Prime either though but I really enjoyed Prime 3, No More Heroes was a lot of fun, House of the Dead Overkill was too, Resident Evil 4 is really good (btw, the Wii version is the definitive version, best controls), the RE remake too, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom was rather impressive considering it  runs in the same engine as UMvC3, but on the Wii and runs pretty smoothly, and it's a lot of fun too, all the Kirby games were really good, not just the collection, and the Punch Out remake is one of the best remakes ever, but Nintendo has a good track-record with remakes (Super Mario Allstars and Metroid Zero Mission come to mind), Excite Bots Trick Racing is one of the most fun racing games I've played, Donkey Kong Country Returns was great too... Look, I don't wanna just sit here naming games all day long okay?

I'd also have to say, setting up emulating PCE CD on a PC isn't really any more complicated than the Wii Homebrew channel crap.  The lack of big glowing PRESS HERE TO GAME buttons doesn't mean it's hard.

There's more presetup for Wii than there is just dropping the BIOS in the right folder, and loading a ROM or CD in an emulator on a PC.

It's not as bad as softmodding an Xbox, but it's still arguably more effort than just doing it on a computer.

Perhaps it is more effort for NES, SNES and GBA, but for everything else? I don't know what you're doing that I'm not but I have a MUCH easier time getting games to play on my Wii than on the PC...
For example, I still haven't managed to get a single Neo Geo game to run on my PC I tried WinKawaks and MAME, but nope! Nothing works... On my Wii, for the most reliability I use the Virtual Console, which has a lot of Neo Geo games, all of which run 100% flawlessly, but for the ones that aren't there I use Retroarch, and while a lot of games don't work in there I manage to at least get a few more that aren't on the VC that work...
As for PCE CD? I can use Ootake and that works fine, but Mednafen is supposedly more accurate, but it's a major pain in the arse to use on the PC, on the Wii though? Piece of cake! And the only problem I've ever ran into was in the intro of Asuka 120% Maxima Burning Fest where the text is in 512 pixel mode and the rest of the picture is in 256 pixel mode, well, the text gets rendered in 256 pixel mode as well, but otherwise the game runs pretty much perfectly, and then there's Ys IV, I tried to apply the translation patch on the PC, the text patch worked, but I couldn't get the dub patch to work no matter what, but then I found a pre-patched .wad file of the game for the Wii, to play in Virtual Console mode, and voila! I was playing Ys IV in English on my Wii, on my CRT TV! No hassle what-so-ever, it just worked!

And you know how I said that most of the CPS1 and CPS2 games don't work on Retroarch on the Wii? Well guess what? I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON THE PC!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't know what a TurboGrafx-16 is without a Wii.  I wouldn't give the Wii so much credit.  You know what a PC98 is without the Wii VC crap.  You likely would come across PCE just the same via the magic of the internet.   

As for emulating, I don't see the point of your "legal" angle, really.   Sure, you can purchase digital copies from their VC.... but everything else you're doing is no different than the PC counterpart.   The fact you can rebuy games or get digital copies of 16 bit era games you never owned should not be what makes a machine like the wii the "best machine ever".

I don't disagree that the machines are great for letting you emulate crap, but like I said, if the best feature of a new console is the ability to play old stuff, that means it failed as a new console. 

I've never had a problem getting PC emulating to work.  This may be because I grew up configuring DOS games to work with MIDI + controllers, so all of this shit is pretty much a joke in terms of complication. 

Who said PS2 is great?   That thing was pretty disappointing too, and was the beginning of the end for a lot of franchises.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Castlevania.. they all started taking ugly turns on PS2. 

For wii, the good games can basically be counted on two hands.   During the SNES days, the good *first party games* needed more than two hands.

These new machines don't have the killer first party libraries that we saw in the 16 bit era.   They are either playing it safe, or simply doing really dumb shit instead of making good stuff.

Why there is no plan to make Metroid with the Breath of the Wild engine is beyond me.    It seems like a no brainer.   That's the open world / exploration style that Metroid has needed since Super Metroid.

esteban

« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
POINTLESS ARGUING:

We have a thread here at pcefx that lists TONS of awesome games for the Wii.

For example, even shootemups fans will be pleasantly surprised.

NO I'M NOT REFERRING TO VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

VC is just a nice bonus.

|    | 

Michirin9801

« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't know what a TurboGrafx-16 is without a Wii.  I wouldn't give the Wii so much credit.  You know what a PC98 is without the Wii VC crap.  You likely would come across PCE just the same via the magic of the internet.   
I probably would, but it would definitely take much longer, and I most likely wouldn't have cared about it as much...

As for emulating, I don't see the point of your "legal" angle, really.   Sure, you can purchase digital copies from their VC.... but everything else you're doing is no different than the PC counterpart.   The fact you can rebuy games or get digital copies of 16 bit era games you never owned should not be what makes a machine like the wii the "best machine ever".
I wasn't being too serious with that point, that's just a thing I like to point out, at this point in time, the Wii is still the ONLY system where you can play all of those things legally, yeah I know that means nothing, heck most of the games I play on it are pirated anyway, but still...

I don't disagree that the machines are great for letting you emulate crap, but like I said, if the best feature of a new console is the ability to play old stuff, that means it failed as a new console. 
No, when the ONLY good feature of a new console is the ability to play old stuff, THEN it means it failed as a new console, but the Wii still has plenty of really good games that I and a lot of other people enjoyed a whole lot, it just so happens that what it does best is allow us to play a lot of old stuff in it on top of having all of those really good games, therefore it is FAR from a failure...

I've never had a problem getting PC emulating to work.  This may be because I grew up configuring DOS games to work with MIDI + controllers, so all of this shit is pretty much a joke in terms of complication. 
I don't know if you're lucky or unlucky because of that, but I had it easy, my first PC was a Windows 98, and I never had to bother with command line until recently, and I think I already said enough about my luck (or lack there of) with emulators on the PC, unless they're absolutely amazing and I couldn't possibly run it well on my Wii (PPSSPP) then I'd just rather play stuff on my Wii, and playing on the TV helps, on the PC there are too many distractions...

Who said PS2 is great?   That thing was pretty disappointing too, and was the beginning of the end for a lot of franchises.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Castlevania.. they all started taking ugly turns on PS2. 

For wii, the good games can basically be counted on two hands.   During the SNES days, the good *first party games* needed more than two hands.

These new machines don't have the killer first party libraries that we saw in the 16 bit era.   They are either playing it safe, or simply doing really dumb shit instead of making good stuff.

Why there is no plan to make Metroid with the Breath of the Wild engine is beyond me.    It seems like a no brainer.   That's the open world / exploration style that Metroid has needed since Super Metroid.
Umm, this is more of a discussion of "Old vs New" at this point... You know, I also like older games better, hence why I mostly just use my Wii to play them, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of good games on the Wii or other newer systems... The thing is that there's been an increase in the cost and the time it takes to make a good game with the increase in hardware horse-power, so they can't make as many great games now as they could back then...

Also, Castlevania started to suck on the N64, not on the PS2, and you know what system had a really good Castlevania? The Wii! ;3
Because they made it in 2D with classic gameplay and amazing music!

MrBroadway

« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »

You're right about those franchises, but the PS2 is the absolute best in 3D gaming. It was before everything became brown and gray but after the ugliness of the 32/64 bit gen.

No contest on what's better, though. If I had to choose between 16 bit and anything later, I would in a heartbeat. But there's already a thread for that.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
and I most likely wouldn't have cared about it as much...
I am confused by this statement.

No, when the ONLY good feature of a new console is the ability to play old stuff, THEN it means it failed as a new console, but the Wii still has plenty of really good games that I and a lot of other people enjoyed a whole lot, it just so happens that what it does best is allow us to play a lot of old stuff in it on top of having all of those really good games, therefore it is FAR from a failure...
I don't know, the gimmicky controls and lack of some crucial titles, along with botched games like NiGHTS didn't do it any favors.   Were you not playing Wii at launch?  It was a pretty dumb launch, and took a while for the stupid gimmicks to go away. 

I don't know if you're lucky or unlucky because of that, but I had it easy, my first PC was a Windows 98
You probably weren't playing DOS games.  DOS memory configuring is it's own special area of expertise.  and then companies  like OSI went and tried making their own memory managers and made it worse.

Umm, this is more of a discussion of "Old vs New" at this point... You know, I also like older games better, hence why I mostly just use my Wii to play them, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of good games on the Wii or other newer systems... The thing is that there's been an increase in the cost and the time it takes to make a good game with the increase in hardware horse-power, so they can't make as many great games now as they could back then...
Not really.  Dragon Quest continued thriving after the 16 bit era, because they didn't f*ck with the formula.

They can make "as many great games" now.   They just need to start with making great games in the first place, instead of shitted up QTE laden games with excessive cutscenes and garbage gameplay.    If anything, they should be able to make *more* good games now.

Also, Castlevania started to suck on the N64, not on the PS2, and you know what system had a really good Castlevania? The Wii! ;3
This almost makes sense, except we had Symphony of the Night on PS1 to drown out the N64's dumbassed game.  PS2 is when all those really shitty ones came out, and then Lords of Shadow or whatever it was called on PS3 was probably the biggest pile of shit ever with regards to a Castlevania game.

I give the N64 game a free pass because that was in the "everyone is trying to be 3D" era, where most things sort of sucked.

Ocarina of Time sucked.   

Michirin9801

« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
(Note: Just wanted to modify this to add a line and ended up re-posting it accidentally, sorry)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:59:54 PM by Michirin9801 »

Michirin9801

« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
and I most likely wouldn't have cared about it as much...
I am confused by this statement.
Imagine having never played or heard about the system before, going into Dracula X blind, in the middle of the 7th generation, expecting it to be either on-par with or worse than the SNES version, then having your mind blown so hard that you had to pick up the scattered pieces of your brain and skull off the walls afterwards... Yeah, had I not had that experience, which wouldn't have happened, at least in quite the same way, were it not for the Wii's VC, I don't think I'd have bothered to dig in deeper and wanted to see what else the system had to offer... Trust me, I know one too many people who just played Rondo of Blood and moved on from the system never to look back...

I don't know, the gimmicky controls and lack of some crucial titles, along with botched games like NiGHTS didn't do it any favors.   Were you not playing Wii at launch?  It was a pretty dumb launch, and took a while for the stupid gimmicks to go away. 
No, I took a few years to get my Wii, and when I did it already had a load of really good games that I wanted to play, and still had some stuff to look forward to!
Almost every system has a weak launch, early adopters are necessary, but I'll probably never be one of them, I'd rather get my systems later when I already know that they've got a lot of stuff that I want to play...

I don't know if you're lucky or unlucky because of that, but I had it easy, my first PC was a Windows 98
You probably weren't playing DOS games.  DOS memory configuring is it's own special area of expertise.  and then companies  like OSI went and tried making their own memory managers and made it worse.
I've never been much of a PC gamer, the few PC games I had were all for Windows and, well, they were okay I guess? But I'd much rather just play ZSNES instead...

This almost makes sense, except we had Symphony of the Night on PS1 to drown out the N64's dumbassed game.  PS2 is when all those really shitty ones came out, and then Lords of Shadow or whatever it was called on PS3 was probably the biggest pile of shit ever with regards to a Castlevania game.

I give the N64 game a free pass because that was in the "everyone is trying to be 3D" era, where most things sort of sucked.
The thing is that the N64 Castlevania games came out after SotN, so it kinda makes perfect sense to say that the series started to suck on the N64... I don't know how you feel about the handheld games though, but personally, I've never been much of a fan of the Metroidvania style, I MUCH prefer the classic 'Vintagevania' style, SotN is nice, but I'll pick Castlevania Rebirth over it any day, and Rondo of Blood over everything else in the series...

Ocarina of Time sucked.   
Ha! No...

(Note: This is what the previous message should have been)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:00:23 PM by Michirin9801 »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
were it not for the Wii's VC, I don't think I'd have bothered to dig in deeper and wanted to see what else the system had to offer...
I'm confused by how you'd give something like the PC98 a thorough investigation without the VC, but don't think you would have for the PCE.    It just seems strange.

No, I took a few years to get my Wii, and when I did it already had a load of really good games that I wanted to play, and still had some stuff to look forward to!
Almost every system has a weak launch, early adopters are necessary, but I'll probably never be one of them, I'd rather get my systems later when I already know that they've got a lot of stuff that I want to play...

The thing about the Wii launch is it was actually a good launch.    and then it just flopped on it's ass for awhile.  Trauma Center was a great launch game, and while TP was an overly easy piece of shit, it was at least an entertaining Zelda game.     

I've never been much of a PC gamer, the few PC games I had were all for Windows and, well, they were okay I guess? But I'd much rather just play ZSNES instead...
There are a lot of great DOS era games.  It really depends on your gaming tastes though.  You don't strike me as a Wing Commander enthusiast, or a Might and Magic kind of person.

The thing is that the N64 Castlevania games came out after SotN, so it kinda makes perfect sense to say that the series started to suck on the N64... I don't know how you feel about the handheld games though, but personally, I've never been much of a fan of the Metroidvania style, I MUCH prefer the classic 'Vintagevania' style, SotN is nice, but I'll pick Castlevania Rebirth over it any day, and Rondo of Blood over everything else in the series...
PSX and N64 were competing forces.   People were still playing and talking about Symphony of the Night after PS2 launched.    We also got Castlevania Chronicles on PS1, (after n64 game), and it was met with success despite being a port.   For what Castlevania 64 tried to do, it's not exactly bad.  It's just... not a Castlevania game.  I'd play it over Ocarina of Time.

Ha! No...

Honestly, Ocarina of Time sucks.   It sucked when it came out, and it still sucks now.   It forever ruined the pacing of Zelda and sent the series down the watered down toddler mode path it was on until BOTW finally unf*cked it nearly 20 years later.

Ignoring the camera woes of the era, everything combat related in that sucks.  You lock on, strafe around, and wait your turn to smack something.   That's it.   That's all you do.

It's garbage.  The only reason it was so critically acclaimed is dumbassed Nintendo fanboys at the time literally had no other action adventure game to play unless they wanted to pretend Quest 64 didn't suck.

Ocarina of Time is that average looking chick that has fat ugly friends, so everyone think's she is way hotter than she is.

and then she shows up with her cousins (playstation games), and everyone goes "fuuuuuck"

By OOTs release, Playstation was already set with Alundra, Brave Fencer Musashi (which is how a 3D Zelda SHOULD have been), Granstream Saga, and some other games that came out around or slightly after OOT that just made me wonder why people were jizzing about OOT.    Legend of Mana immediately comes to mind, followed by Vagrant Story, and Threads of Fate.

We even had other weirder action adventure games like Soul Reaver, Akuji the Heartless, Escape or die trying, Alone in the Dark....

f*ck Ocarina of Time.

Except for the Water Temple.   That shit ruled, and I enjoyed all of my friends in 5th grade having strokes trying to get through it alive.

while I played Parasite Eve.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #250 on: July 09, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
"Oooooh, I just can't let other people have fun with systems and games I don't approve."

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
"Oooooh, I just can't let other people have fun with systems and games I don't approve."

"Oooooh, I crash people discussing opinions on games with trite, overplayed, condescending statements."

blueraven

« Reply #252 on: July 09, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
POINTLESS ARGUING:

We have a thread here at pcefx that lists TONS of awesome games for the Wii.

For example, even shootemups fans will be pleasantly surprised.

NO I'M NOT REFERRING TO VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

VC is just a nice bonus.

Dammit este.

I'll respond to this thread when I'm not being skullf*cked by deadlines.

No, its not pointless. Arguing brings up points and opinions which is what forums are supposed to be about. Occasionally, people have to bring up their opinions to defend them.

I HOWEVER CANNOT READ WALLS OF TEXT RIGHT NOW

But every quote will be addressed within the next sunset.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
Funny Granstream Saga was mentioned. I played it in the hope that it would be a good spiritual followup to Terranigma. But I was disappointed from the gameplay, which suffered from being ported to 3D graphics. The combat controls felt rather slow, stiff and thus unnatural when coming from the older games. The story is nice, but both the English as well as German dubbing for the animated cutscenes are breaking the athmosphere in a very unpleasant way - it's not even funny, it's just plain bad. It makes me wish there would be a way to have the Japanese audio along with English subtitles and English ingame text.

I wonder how this game would have turned out if the developers stuck with true and tested 2D overhead graphics.

Still, if someone like this game, I say what was written above is my personal opinion and should nobody hinder from giving Granstream Saga a try by themselves. Some may like the slow and methodical combat system for a good reason.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

blueraven

« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2017, 06:36:24 AM »
Or what if you didn't have the games and only got to experience them in the first place because they were released on the Wii? Because that was exactly my case! If it wasn't for the Virtual Console I most likely wouldn't even know the TurboGrafx-16 even existed because I wasn't born back when it was a thing, same with Mega Drive, I wouldn't have bothered to play it had the games not been released on the Wii, and you know what? I'm an adamant defender of digital distribution of older games like the Virtual Console because not only does that mean that more people can experience those older games that they otherwise wouldn't, but also because at least that way I'm giving my money to the publishers, and in some cases the developers who own/made the game instead of some ebay randoes, but if you already owned the game, there's nobody forcing you to buy it again, if you wanna play it just go and play your own copy...

We had this thing called Magic Engine and you could play it on virtually any PCE/Turbo PC or linux box.  With WINDOWS 95. Then Mednafen. Then came the rasberry Pi and now you can stuff one on the armrest of your car and play it through the screen in your headrest.

Look, OK. I get it you discovered the Turbo through the Wii. That doesn't change any of the points made earlier, by me, or Arkhan. You're just trying to hit us with a bazooka-load of opinions, appearing in a wall of text, with one point that comes down to personal preference.   

For those particular systems, which I hadn't tried to emulate before, and also, my Wii is outdated, an update could fix that... Everything else (like NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, MD, SMS, GG, NGPC, GCN, Sega CD, PCE, SuperGrafx, PCECD, PC-FX, WonderSwan/Colour) run the vast majority of the games pretty much flawlessly, and if that's a fail, then I don't know what a win is...

You should update your system hardware. This is the point here.

Because I don't have one? Because I can't afford one? Keep in mind that not everyone in the world has deep pockets but they still want to enjoy retro-gaming, and I'd rather pay $5 for Bonk's Adventure on my Wii than $25 for a loose HuCard, or just play Sapphire for free on WiiMednafen...

Ok, now we're getting to the root of whats happening here. Not having a Turbo is probably the most legit reason to own a Wii.

A lot of us have been playing these games since they were released in the 1990's, and many of us have been forced to part with some or all of our collections to make rent, bills, etc. and have instantaneously regretted it.

I can see, now why you own the Wii. For convenience, and emulation. That is probably the most legit reason to own a Wii and keep playing it... I can't see going over any of that consoles games more than once, it has the lowest replay value of any system I've owned...

And I just do all of my emulation on a PC so this just seems incredibly redundant.

If you really are running like 20 emulators on that thing you should update the firmware and Hot-Rod the Wii for emulation.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol