Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23538 times)

roflmao

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
Clear #113 - Space Ava 201

A recent homebrew release with turn based puzzley action.  Give it go!

The Good:  the step by step action is quite unique, unlike anything else I can think of on PCE, and the puzzles offer a fun challenge; the cut scenes are cute, funny, and plentiful; "Yes!  We Have No Bananas" in the end credits, which is especially humorous when one character looks like a banana; several different enemy types and bosses, mixed with varied gameplay styles between stages; and two (maybe more?) endings with a teaser for a sequel.

The Bad:  the tunes aren't offensive, but they are simplistic and there's some abrupt track changes in cutscenes; it's rather short; and it's download only (just for now, I hope!).

The Ugly:  NA

Congrats!  I hope I'm close to finishing it, too. It's been a lot of fun, especially considering it's price, haha.

esteban

« Reply #541 on: November 26, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
Clear #113 - Space Ava 201

A recent homebrew release with turn based puzzley action.  Give it go!

The Good:  the step by step action is quite unique, unlike anything else I can think of on PCE, and the puzzles offer a fun challenge; the cut scenes are cute, funny, and plentiful; "Yes!  We Have No Bananas" in the end credits, which is especially humorous when one character looks like a banana; several different enemy types and bosses, mixed with varied gameplay styles between stages; and two (maybe more?) endings with a teaser for a sequel.

The Bad:  the tunes aren't offensive, but they are simplistic and there's some abrupt track changes in cutscenes; it's rather short; and it's download only (just for now, I hope!).

You dirty bastard! I only found out about this game a couple days ago!

More importantly, I have never beaten Shadow of the Beast on PCE... I need to play that game. I keep passing it over in favor of shootemups. Very sad.

:)
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #542 on: December 01, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
Holy Shit! Look what the cat dragged in. Good to see you around esteban. Have wondered how you've been. Hope all is well.

esteban

« Reply #543 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:19 PM »
Holy Shit! Look what the cat dragged in. Good to see you around esteban. Have wondered how you've been. Hope all is well.

I have been slowly clawing my way through sealed shipping cartons of Make My Video: KRIS KROSS to get here!

It's only taken... three years? Yeah, I think that's right.

:pcgs:
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:24 PM »
Clear #114 - Sailor Moon

A fun digi-comic with a fantastic translation patch from good guy supper.  The patch is bad ass, translating all the text, adding subs, and even showcasing a shit ton of voice work and art (some complete, some only sketches) that was found unused on the disc.

The Good:  while nothing fancy, the tunes change often and fit each scenario's mood; great replayability with different paths for each girl; plenty humorous bits and silliness; quality voicework from the same actors as the show; and nicely drawn and ever-changing scenes.

The Bad:  while they look nice enough, many scenes aren't terribly high colored, detailed, and/or filled with animation, not for a 1994 release anyway; and the actor's engrishy pronunciations of English names is lulzery.

The Ugly:  Past Wiseman's giant tits.  Seriously, what's up with that?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: March 28, 2021, 09:57:52 PM »
Clear #115 - Sapphire

'Tis a damn fine shewty that really shows off the capabilities of the Arcade Card.  I've beaten this quite a few times in years past, but I've struggled mightily in recent years to 1CC 'er again.  It's finally done, though, after I stopped getting myself killed trying to "save" my bombs.

The Good:  rockin' tunes, courtesy of Ts Music; two player simultaneous fun and four somewhat different ships with their own cute girly pilots and weapons; nice cutscenes for the intro and outro, though nothing more fancy than what you'll find in many a Super CD title; long loading times between stages are cleverly disguised with 'pilot briefings'; a charged options attack that lets you build score for extra ships; and some of the coolest graphics found in any PCE title, with detailed, layered, and animated backgrounds and lots of variation in enemies, sub-bosses, and bosses (many of which are huge), with neato lighting effects and morphing of sprites and backgrounds.

The Bad:  the ships are slow and clunky, and the difference between the four is not as great as it could be; high score doesn't save; it could use another level or two, as it's a bit on the short side; and the girls never get nekkid.

The Ugly:  the loud, grating sound effect used for some ship/weapon combos while firing; and the weird partially invisible face in the ending (pallette error?).

roflmao

« Reply #546 on: April 02, 2021, 06:24:13 PM »
Clear #115 - Sapphire

Awesome! It's been awhile since I've 1cc'd it, too. Now I'm tempted to try that again.

I used to stick to the faster ships (I think blue was my go-to), but lately I've been practicing with the green ship. It's so slow, but so powerful.

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #547 on: April 05, 2021, 08:50:17 PM »
Clear #115 - Sapphire

Awesome! It's been awhile since I've 1cc'd it, too. Now I'm tempted to try that again.

I used to stick to the faster ships (I think blue was my go-to), but lately I've been practicing with the green ship. It's so slow, but so powerful.

Yeah. I used to be OK at Sapphire long ago, but now every time I try to pick it up again it just kicks my ass. Need to get back in the saddle again someday.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: April 06, 2021, 02:39:00 AM »
My usual choice is Syphon (pink haired girl) and her blue weapon.  It seems to be decently powerful and speedy enough.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: April 10, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
Clear #116 - Lady Sword

Word and line breaks are often fucked, but overall the translation patch is pretty nice; there's even a patch with an invincibility cheat added.  Give it a go if you have a flash drive.

The Good:  a nice opening cut scene; a plethora of enemies, all nicely drawn and cool looking; decent tunes that change for each floor; save, rest (heal), and setting a warp point is easy..... which is damn good because you'll need them a LOT; a handy auto map feature; nekkid girlies; and a crocodylar enemy (thanks, Ricky!).

The Bad:  the wall scroll is chunky, and the walls always look the same; the encounter rate is ridiculous, where you often get attacked every step or even just turning in place; the map doesn't show warp points or pitfalls, it rotates with your character in game, and it doesn't scroll or show full screen to let you see the entire thing at once; and the ending is weird - did I do good or not, dammit?!?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #550 on: June 05, 2021, 12:47:56 AM »
Clear #117 - Final Soldier

Another GotM inspired clear.  Thanks, goosey!

The Good:  several weapon option upgrades that you can preselect before playing; lots of different enemies, sub-bosses, and screen filling stage bosses; two and five minute score attack modes; colorful scenery; and some cool tunes to rock out to.

The Bad:  some backgrounds are kinda flat and bland; it's missing a bomb / super attack thingy like the one in Soldier Blade; and the TG-16 was inexplicably denied a localization.

The Ugly:  the wibbly-wobbly purple puke background of the final stage.

roflmao

« Reply #551 on: June 09, 2021, 10:35:27 PM »
Clear #117 - Final Soldier

Another GotM inspired clear.  Thanks, goosey!

The Good:  several weapon option upgrades that you can preselect before playing; lots of different enemies, sub-bosses, and screen filling stage bosses; two and five minute score attack modes; colorful scenery; and some cool tunes to rock out to.

The Bad:  some backgrounds are kinda flat and bland; it's missing a bomb / super attack thingy like the one in Soldier Blade; and the TG-16 was inexplicably denied a localization.

The Ugly:  the wibbly-wobbly purple puke background of the final stage.

Congrats! This is the only Soldier game I've managed to complete.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #552 on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:24 AM »
Thanks, man.  I've beaten Soldier Blade too, but Super Star Soldier and Blazing Lazers (a step-brother in the series?) still elude me.  Maybe one day....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
Tangential Clear #101a - Popful Mail (Sega CD)

FEKA PAC is still borked, so I had to play this on the PSP Go via emulator.   :|

It's hard to pick one game over the other, as they're both great games.  Here's some differences:

Pros:  it has very well animated cut scenes, has lots of parallax in the backgrounds, and it's in english with pretty good voicework.  I played the unworked patch, so I avoided Vic's unnecessary difficulty bullshit.

Cons:  it has less colorful cut scenes, and it's missing the three extra character specific levels.

Push:  the sprites are good and all (more '16 bit' like) but I love the cute lil sprites too (like the ones in the PC-88 original); the chip tunes are great, as are the redbook tunes in the PCE game; and both final boss fights feel a bit cheap due to the floors - here the floor disappears and doesn't regenerate, but at least the spikes below aren't an instant game over.

In short:  play both!

DarkKobold

« Reply #554 on: July 07, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
Tangential Clear #101a - Popful Mail (Sega CD)

Pros:  it has very well animated cut scenes, has lots of parallax in the backgrounds, and it's in english with pretty good voicework.  I played the unworked patch, so I avoided Vic's unnecessary difficulty bullshit.

I actually stopped playing the Sega CD version a few years back, because it was so borked in difficulty.
Hey, you.