Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3380 times)

Bornist

I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:02:23 AM »
I'm looking for games like Military Madness or Lords of the Rising Sun, but for the N64. Any suggestions?

turboswimbz

Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:06:13 AM »
Something other than an N64

May I suggest a PCE DUO.

IF you want RTS there were 3 games on the N64

Command and Conquer and Star-craft.

Ogre Battle 64 - added in edit.  the more I think about the more I would classify this as an RPG with RTS elements
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:34:32 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:24:56 AM »
I did the same thing on my own path to learning that the N64 sucked back when it was all brand new. It increases the “good” game library by only a couple of games to be honest and really none of them are worth me even mentioning (except that one, you know).  N64 stinks.

Bornist

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:40:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm finding the N64 to have a very lackluster library. But I got a good deal on this one, so I jumped on it.

And thanks for the game suggestions. I all ready had command and conquer on my list, but will add star-craft as well.

And I plan on getting yet ANOTHER PCE Duo soon.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:48:14 AM »
How do you mod the US N64 to play Japanese games? Is it just by removing some plastic tabs, similar to the SNES?

For PAL consoles, having a region mod may be worthwhile to play some of the older 1996-1997 era games at 60 Hz (e.g. Mario Kart 64). Not worth for the majority of Rareware games though, since they were running equal in PAL and NTSC regions right from the beginning.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:02:58 AM »
How do you mod the US N64 to play Japanese games? Is it just by removing some plastic tabs, similar to the SNES?

slightly harder

You have to dremmel plastic square things that are too thick to bust out with pliers like the SNES

but other than that, its the same basic idea.

I was too lazy to do that and used one of those long lighters for grills and stuff, and melted the plastic and flattened it with a spoon.

f*ck the N64. BURN IT
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: I just &quot;region modded&quot; my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:11:52 AM »
You should have used a hairdryer instead.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
You should have used a hairdryer instead.

I said burn it, not Bernie it.

nopepper

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »
The N64 seems to be the ultimate polarizing system. In general, millenials overrate it and the rest underrate it.

If you like racing games, Doom 64 and some quirky pickup and play games (like Blast Corps, Robotron, Mischief Makers), it's a nice system. During that period, I scoffed at the N64 (besides being amazed after seeing Mario 64 for the first time), but now I can appreciate its games from that generation, without having to endure horrendous load times of PSX and Saturn.

I don't think it's essential, but it's not complete shit, like the 3DO, Jaguar or CDi.

With that said, there is Ogre Battle 64, but I reckon you already knew about that one and are looking strictly for imports, of which I don't know of any in that genre. Generally speaking, I'm sure you were aware of Sin and Punishment, but Bangaioh is another one to put in your radar. I think it's better than the Dreamcast version, simply because it feels much more natural to control with the N64 pad.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
In general, millenials overrate it and the rest underrate it.

The overrating is true, but there's no underrating.   The thing sucked, and still sucks. 

When you have to say things like "if you like racing/one FPS/some quirky games", it shows that it was a failure.

It's like the PC-FX.

"If you like dating sims, its great!"---> It was a failure.

I like the PCFX for it's charming nonsense, but it's a POS failure. 

Saturn/PSX load times aren't that bad though.   I'd take that over muddy ass textures and crappy games.

Bornist

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:07 AM »
I'm sure you were aware of Sin and Punishment, but Bangaioh is another one to put in your radar. I think it's better than the Dreamcast version, simply because it feels much more natural to control with the N64 pad.
I was not aware of those games, so I'll add them to my list to check out as well.

And that is why I picked up the N64. For $50, I got a working system, with all hookups, 3 controllers, 12 games and an official N64 game cartridge holder. Not a bad price.
I also have goldeneye and Mario Kart. I like just being able to play a game for a bit, then walk away. I also own a PS4, and even on there, I really only get games that I can just play for a bit and then walk away (like Doom and MKXL). I have Elder Scrolls and Gran Turismo to play if I want to immerse myself in a game.

But I am not looking for something like that on the N64. Sure, I'd like to play a campaign, real time type strategy game, but they are so convoluted and involved that it would take me an entire afternoon just to get started.

And of course, nostalgia plays a small role in me buying it.

nopepper

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:17 AM »
The overrating is true, but there's no underrating.   The thing sucked, and still sucks. 

When you have to say things like "if you like racing/one FPS/some quirky games", it shows that it was a failure.

It's like the PC-FX.

"If you like dating sims, its great!"---> It was a failure.

I like the PCFX for it's charming nonsense, but it's a POS failure. 

Saturn/PSX load times aren't that bad though.   I'd take that over muddy ass textures and crappy games.

By your definition of failure, then I guess it was a failure. But then, I would say the same thing about the PCE if recommending to a friend - "if you like shooters, then get it NOW!". But to me, a failed system is one that does not have at least a handful of games worth your time, taking into account the price of entry. You can buy a N64 and a stash of good fun games for peanuts, and have a good time. Regardless of what you think of the hardware itself, it does have fun games.

To each their own, but I don't think it sucks at all. I think that for the price, it is absolutely worth having, if you have the space and time to devote to it.

lukester

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »
The N64 seems to be the ultimate polarizing system. In general, millenials overrate it and the rest underrate it.

If you like racing games, Doom 64 and some quirky pickup and play games (like Blast Corps, Robotron, Mischief Makers), it's a nice system. During that period, I scoffed at the N64 (besides being amazed after seeing Mario 64 for the first time), but now I can appreciate its games from that generation, without having to endure horrendous load times of PSX and Saturn.

I don't think it's essential, but it's not complete shit, like the 3DO, Jaguar or CDi.

With that said, there is Ogre Battle 64, but I reckon you already knew about that one and are looking strictly for imports, of which I don't know of any in that genre. Generally speaking, I'm sure you were aware of Sin and Punishment, but Bangaioh is another one to put in your radar. I think it's better than the Dreamcast version, simply because it feels much more natural to control with the N64 pad.

nopepper has the right idea. N64 isn't a perfect system but it's got some fun games, some of which are still cream of the crop in their genres. It probably has about 50-60 solid games worth owning. 

OP if you want arcadey type games, selection is a bit limited but anything by Midway is fair game. There's of course a large amount of racing games on the system, such as the Rush series, Ridge Racer 64, F-Zero, and 1080 Snowboarding

Turok 3 is also a relatively unknown yet classic fps that I'm surprised still doesn't have a pc port yet.

Could also get the tony hawk games, which have better graphics if you don't mind the butchered soundtracks. Tony hawk 3 is fun to own for shits and giggles, as it was the last n64 game ever made yet is pretty cheap ($20 for a boxed copy).

If you want to region mod, you can play some of these games. I'm not sure if english language repros require a region mod of if they have US cart shape.

Animal Crossing
Bangai-O
Sin and Punishment (pretty f*cking outstanding)
Shiren the Wanderer 2
Puyo Puyo Sun
Custom Robo 1 and 2
AKI Japanese pro wrestling games (these have a really niche following)
Dezaemon
Evangelion (if you like the show)

64DD is a shitheap. Don't bother.

crazydean

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
It seems that this conversation comes up pretty often. PSX load times were shit. Also, when handled well, like Super Mario 64, the graphics could look nice. At least it didn't have that weird, jumping graphix BS that the PSX had. Like how a wall would suddenly change shapes as you got closer to it.

The library was surprisingly lacking in many genres, though. But, there were some good exclusives like Conker's Bad Fur Day and Pokemon Snap that are must-plays.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

nopepper

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »
I have no nostalgia for this system, as I was strictly a PSX guy when I was in college. The N64 came out when I was about to graduate, so I never really got into it during those years where I had the most time to play games (especially multiplayer). I later played some Goldeneye multiplayer, and it was definitely fun, but the frame rate is pretty harsh by today's standards.

I was given the system back in 99 by a friend who was going to toss it, and I have neglected it since until about 2 years ago, when I realized there were some decent games you could get for 5-10 bucks loose. So I was like "hey, lets try it!" and I've been pleasantly surprised. The lack of load times in 3D games seems surreal.

Off the top of my head, here are some fun games that wont break the bank and are worth my time:
-Wipeout 64
-Doom 64
-Paper Mario
-Mario 64
-Star Soldier
-Robotron 64
-Waverace (!!!)
-Blast Corps
-Mario Golf
-Fzero x
-Ogre Battle 64
-Excitebike 64
-Starfox

If you have cash to blow
-Sin and Punishment
-Bangaio

With that said, the PSX and Saturn are much better systems, even with their own shortcomings. The PSX has a much larger selection of great games, and the Saturn has one of the best shooter libraries ever. I can understand somebody rating the N64 over the Saturn, if they are not into shooters or fighters, but not the PSX.