Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3364 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »
I once got completely owned in MvC2 by a guy who’s weapon of choice was the standard Dreamcast pad.

Yeah, no kidding. I don’t even...

The standard dreamcast pad's D-Pad is so weird.

For awhile I was super-good at using it but going back to it I am like "why is this thing so floaty"
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
I got the N64 in 97 after I had already experienced previous Nintendo systems as well as Sega's Game Gear and Mega Drive, and a PC. I had fun with it.
Regarding polys, even as a child I knew in my mind that 3D graphics shouldn't be looking that blocky as they did in that era. Also, the frame rate of most N64 games was lacking, but if you owned a PC at the time you were used to seeing crap frame rates if you tried newer 3D games that came out the next day after you bought your PC. The PC technology aged so fast once you got the machine home and set it up, it was only worth half what you paid for it.
Wave Race 64 is amazing. However the Cube version is even better.
No. Just no.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:14:16 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
They had a commercial like that with the dated PCs actually.

Dude gets a new PC, drives by a billboard on the way home and sees the next model is for sale and hes like WTF.

N64's framerate on so many games was just shit, and the games themselves didn't make up for it.

Honestly, nothing on N64 comes close to the enjoyment I had from Metal Gear Solid or Tenchu

It's just not there.   

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
I don't see many reasons to buy N64 cartridges today.

The popular games have been emulated rather well on the Wii Virtual Console, with clean 480p resolution and a somewhat steady framerate. The controls are mostly ported to the Wii Classic Controller/Pro and GameCube controller rather well, the few games that benefit from a real Nintendo 64 controller are F-Zero X and Mario Kart 64 (A-B button layout and digital shoulder buttons). And for this case, there are adaptors available that hook up either to the GameCube controller ports or Wiimote ports by Raphnet. However, the original N64 analog stick durability has the same reputation as the power glove... it's so bad. Good thing there are ways to get around this, I've already mentioned them in the other N64 threads on PCEFX. Of course, there are still some BGM issues in scene transitions during loading, and neither rumble pak nor controller pak support, but it's easy to get over them.

Then, there are the ports of popular Rareware games on Xbox (Conker), Xbox 360 (Perfect Dark, the Banjo games) as well as the Rare Replay compilation on Xbox One. Some of them are completely redone graphically, while others feature just minor graphical improvements.

Then, there are other N64 ports on the GameCube, like Doshin and Animal Crossing, as well as the Zelda games, also in 480i (maybe 480p?). There's even rumble pak support, wrrryyyyyy!

EDIT: Turok 1 and 2 have been ported to PC twice, the second time they got updated to work with modern PCs. Available on GoG and Steam.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron was also ported to PC back in the day and is available on GoG and Steam.

2D Puzzle games (Puyo Puyo Sun, Taisen Puzzle Dama, etc.) are available for PS1 for the most part and look better on Sony's console thanks to the lack of wishi-washy-filtering.

EDIT2: Regarding GoldenEye, I was more focused beating the singleplayer mode on 00 agent difficuilty. I also played with friends, but soon enough they wouldn't want to play with somebody that manages to beat them every so often. Pussies. I didn't even know about Oddjobb, and I despised Slapper's Only. Who f*cking cares, since Oddjobb is so small I think it is even more easy to pull off headshots on that little bastard. Hell, who knows why people today talking about Oddjobb and Slapper's Only as if these were the only two things worthwile to remember about GE007.
Also the same goes for Mario Kart 64, don't blame me if I rip your ass in battle mode Block Fort stage if you decide to stay on the lower lanes and get shot by shells instead of moving up to the top platforms. Again, pussies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:21:16 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:08 AM »
I played Goldeneye for about a half hour. I couldn’t see anything. It sucked.

I have to say, I loathe FPS so that’s a factor. I wasn’t playing them on my computer so I didn’t need shittier versions that cost more.

Also, I saw the movie Goldeneye in the theater and hated it, that may also have been a factor.

nopepper

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 02:44:50 AM »
N64's framerate on so many games was just shit, and the games themselves didn't make up for it.

Honestly, nothing on N64 comes close to the enjoyment I had from Metal Gear Solid or Tenchu

It's just not there.

So you honestly don't feel games like Mario, FZero, Waverace, Starfox, heck, even stuff like Wipeout, make up for frame rate issues?!? I think those (and the ones I've mentioned before) are still excellent, fun, well designed games, even with the shortcomings of the hardware. Kinda like how I feel about Atlantean; another game with frame rate issues (might not be the technical term), but well designed and fun. ;)

If we are going to compare PSX's library to N64, then of course the N64 will look like shit. But the same can be said of the Saturn. That doesn't mean the Saturn sucks. Or the N64.

And I'd rather play the real hardware rather than emulate, warts and all. If we were talking about N64 carts costing as much as Turbo, then it would not make any sense grabbing them. But given that the majority can be had for less than 20-30 bucks, if you prefer to play in real hardware, you might as well go for it.

Like I said before, to each their own. It just always seems that when it comes to talking about 16-bit and PSX/N64 eras, the 15 year old in the majority of us comes out in these debates.

Black Tiger

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 03:04:10 AM »
The N64 library's much narrower variety is comprised mostly of the kinds of games in which framerates have a much larger impact. Games like Riglord Sagas, Daisenryakus, Megami Tenseis, Final Fantasys, etc literally din't have their gameplay affected by lower framerates. Unlike all of those N64'ified/cart compromised versions of traditional games and genres, where everything they can get away with and too much they didn't was forced to be realtime 3D and the rest are pretty much all reliant on realtime 3D gameplay.

Framerate issues also have a much bigger impact and are much more noticeable when they're rendering visuals with minimal detail and variety, which is then distorted with several layers of filtering and reduced draw distance due to fog. It's bad enough when you're struggling to discern what onscreen is shooting at you. Anything less than a smooth framerate just kills it altogether.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

crazydean

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 03:14:58 AM »
As much as I enjoy the N64, I don't see how anyone could find Goldeneye to be good in 2017. In fact, every FPS on the system gives me a headache after about 10 minutes of playing.

FPS, like sports games, just don't age well. Unless the developer shits the bed, newer is better in these genres.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

lukester

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 03:47:48 AM »
Then, there are other N64 ports on the GameCube, like Doshin and Animal Crossing, as well as the Zelda games, also in 480i (maybe 480p?). There's even rumble pak support, wrrryyyyyy!

Majora's Mask unfortunately has a major freezing glitch on the gamecube. Framerate is also somehow even lower.

It's pretty interesting that people have extracted the Master Quest rom and put it on cartridges though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:49:39 AM by lukester »

Bloufo

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 03:50:01 AM »
If, for whatever reason, you're going to be maybe showing off or introducing some of your older/vintage systems and games to someone with little or no experience in the hobby, don't pick the N64.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: I just &quot;region modded&quot; my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 04:05:11 AM »
Good thing I didn't encounter that MM glitch. What does it exactly do and how does it appear?
Regarding the framerate, MM on GameCube runs at 60Hz exclusively even in PAL regions, so that's a plus for me who had to the PAL N64 cartridge before.

I said no, no, no

nopepper

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Wave Race 64 is amazing. However the Cube version is even better.
No. Just no.

Why not?

nopepper

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 05:52:26 AM »
The N64 library's much narrower variety is comprised mostly of the kinds of games in which framerates have a much larger impact. Games like Riglord Sagas, Daisenryakus, Megami Tenseis, Final Fantasys, etc literally din't have their gameplay affected by lower framerates. Unlike all of those N64'ified/cart compromised versions of traditional games and genres, where everything they can get away with and too much they didn't was forced to be realtime 3D and the rest are pretty much all reliant on realtime 3D gameplay.

Framerate issues also have a much bigger impact and are much more noticeable when they're rendering visuals with minimal detail and variety, which is then distorted with several layers of filtering and reduced draw distance due to fog. It's bad enough when you're struggling to discern what onscreen is shooting at you. Anything less than a smooth framerate just kills it altogether.

Maybe, but none of the games I like in the system, sans Starfox, really suffer from choppy frame rates, or at least enough to distract against gameplay (such as Waverace). The only FPS that I find playable, and it's pretty great, is Doom 64. I thought the Turoks were sloppy even when they were new, and Goldeneye/PD are unplayable today (unless you are a millenial).

nopepper

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 06:03:09 AM »
If, for whatever reason, you're going to be maybe showing off or introducing some of your older/vintage systems and games to someone with little or no experience in the hobby, don't pick the N64.

Haha, as much as I'm defending the N64, it is all relative and I have to agree with you on this (although I wouldn't pick any post 16-bit systems to begin with, as I consider 32 bit the advent of modern gaming).

I'm defending it because it is so often called "shit", when it's really not that bad. I would understand you holding resentment if you got one when it was new and it disappointed with its blurry visuals and limited library when compared to it's main rival. Or you had obnoxious friends that defended it because they were Nintendo acolytes or didn't know any better. But that should no longer be valid to grown ass men looking at vintage, classic, retro or whatever the f*ck you want to call them systems. 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
So you honestly don't feel games like Mario, FZero, Waverace, Starfox, heck, even stuff like Wipeout, make up for frame rate issues?!? I think those (and the ones I've mentioned before) are still excellent, fun, well designed games, even with the shortcomings of the hardware. Kinda like how I feel about Atlantean; another game with frame rate issues (might not be the technical term), but well designed and fun. ;)
I don't like Mario64 at all.  It doesn't let me play Mario how I want to, which is running the entire time without stopping basically.   

Starfox 64 is too easy and was a giant disappointment.

A few racing games doesn't make up for a goony console when there's also no other options.

As for Atlantean, well, it was made by one person in a basement over the course of ...3(?) years in spare time, for fun.   Using the term loosely there because it often wasn't exactly fun to work on when you consider the amount of freetime I spent doing it instead of playing my own backlog of stuff for enjoyment, or doing other things.

I don't even see the point of using it in this comparison since the PCE isn't a lackluster machine that had an onslaught of mediocrity, lol.

If I was getting paid hourly to make Atlantean, and was working at an actual software company on it with an entire team, it would've turned out way better.   I tried sorting out framerate issues but gave up when I realized some commercial games like LDis and crap have some slowdown.  I just said screw it.

If we are going to compare PSX's library to N64, then of course the N64 will look like shit. But the same can be said of the Saturn. That doesn't mean the Saturn sucks. Or the N64.
The Saturn's JP library is amazing.  The N64s is more of the same garbage.  So, you can't say the same about the Saturn...

Like I said before, to each their own. It just always seems that when it comes to talking about 16-bit and PSX/N64 eras, the 15 year old in the majority of us comes out in these debates.

Its not the 15 year old in us.  It's the common sense in us.   It's a piece of crap.   When you can only excuse it because it's cheap and has a few racing games that make you feel good, it's even more apparent that it's basically a piece of crap.