Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3385 times)

lukester

Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »
Have forgot one thing...

Region modding is a way to get past increasing game prices, similar to what some people do with the snes.

Mario 64 is a $30 game cart only, but the japanese version can be had for $5. Few people have caught on to this although I do see plenty of japanese smash bros carts for sale lately.

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
Ogre Battle 64 is the closest thing you'll find to Lords of the Rising Sun.

Anyone going to spens serious time pkaying N64 games should first get an Everdrive 64 and get all of the no-filter hack patches. It makes many games playable and you can try out different versions of games before blindly buying anything and there are a lot of cool hacks/custom games out there.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:47 AM »
Ogre Battle 64 is the closest thing you'll find to Lords of the Rising Sun.

Anyone going to spens serious time pkaying N64 games should first get an Everdrive 64 and get all of the no-filter hack patches. It makes many games playable and you can try out different versions of games before blindly buying anything and there are a lot of cool hacks/custom games out there.

+1 for Ogre Battle fitting your criteria, not sure if much else will.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
The N64 sucked because it was supposed to be a sequel to the SFC. Instead it ended up being a completely different thing. If you were too young to have a SFC naturally you wouldn’t care about this. You’d just buy your annual driving game or Nintendo title and be happy. If you like the same game everyone else has and that game involves Zelda or looking like Cruisin’ then you’re good on N64. Otherwise jump in a f*cking lake.

A system with no RPGs or fighters during a time period when we were FLOODED with AMAZING 
examples of them on the other systems is just weird...weird f*cked and not as fun as a PS/SS.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
N64 failed to push the 3D envelope as hard as people seem to think it did, and failed to capture what games were expected to be there at the time.

The 3D experience N64 provided basically sucked.

Mario 64 is like the only great one, and it isn't even that great.   The rest are mediocre.

I liked Chameleon Twist a bit, but it basically sucks too.  Every 3D game on N64 had a better equivalent on PS1.

Anyone who thinks N64 had a great FPS library has never touched a computer, and has never played the PS1 FPS games.   

Quake II on N64 had a lame soundtrack.  PS1 Quake II peed all over it.

Doom 64 was alright, but Final Doom on PS1?   Way better.    and you didn't have to f*ck off with that N64 controller.

It had Hexen, Descent, Disruptor, JUMPING FLASH COUNTS TOO.   

PSX had a much better variety of FPS games that all played better.   It's only downside was the lack of 4 player multiplayer.

Everyone's memories of Goldeneye are always "me and my 3 friends at a sleepover on a 13" TV"

its never "man that single player Goldeneye was awesome"

They're talking about how much fun they had f*cking off with paintball mode, donkey kong big headed stupid shit while planning what they were going to do to that friend who wouldn't stop being cheap with Oddjob after he goes to sleep.

"Matts an a$$hole wait til he goes to sleep"

and then he wakes up with dicks drawn all over his face with sharpee.

That's Goldeneye. 

People who really love the N64 had to have basically grew up with it in the same way that some of us grew up on an SNES or NES.    They don't know what they missed out on.  Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

lol, I had this one friend that was an N64 fanboy through and through.  He didn't get/touch a Playstation until ~2006.

So he didn't play PS1 for what, a decade after launch?   He outright REFUSED to touch it. 

After he got a PS1 and some games, I literally did not see or hear from him for a month.   He binged on PS1.   When I finally heard from him the first thing he says is "holyf*ck I was wrong."

the dude tried to make up for 10 years of lost time in the course of a month and basically PS1'd himself stupid.

now, he only likes N64 for Jet Force Gemini, and the wrestling games.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gypsy

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
I played a bit of Goldeneye and a shit ton of Perfect Dark but yeah I would completely agree with "Anyone who thinks N64 had a great FPS library has never touched a computer".

nopepper

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
No doubt, putting ourselves at that point in time when the N64 was released, it was not worth purchasing as your main system. But looking at it today, it is actually a good system to have in your collection.

For example, say you want to play a quick game of Road Rash or Robotron while the wife/GF dries her hair before going out to dinner...well, you could wait a minute for the PS2 (its what I use for PS1 games) splash screen, the 20 in game splash screens and logos, then wait for the level/course to load up. Or, just pop in a cartridge and almost instantly you are there, in quite frankly better versions of those games than their PSX counterparts (Road Rash is debatable). In some cases, even if the PSX version is better, I opt for instant gratification if I feel the urge to play 3D games from that era (for whatever insane reason).

I think a lot of us judge the N64 as if we were still back in the 90s, instead of looking at it for what it is. Not an essential system, but for the price, a good one for some fun games from that era.

Also, Waverace 64 is worth the price of admission (of say, $25 for the system and $5 for the game). That game is brilliant, blurry graphics and all.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
Wave Race 64 is amazing. However the Cube version is even better. Even if I still had 64 I’d never play it.

Gypsy

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
Wave Race 64 is amazing. However the Cube version is even better. Even if I still had 64 I’d never play it.

I actually just got this recently and yeah it's pretty sweet.

nopepper

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »

You know, I've let other people's opinions keep me away from Blue Storm, although I've always though it looked great. Seems like the majority seems to like the 64 version better, but given that this game can be had for cheap, I will probably give it a shot at some point. (Not anytime soon, as although I've had the 64 version since 99, only recently did it finally clicked with me, after one of those aforementioned "waiting on woman" sessions. Once I got the feel for the game, beating it was a sublime experience.)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
People like the 64 version more because they like the 64 more. As a huge fan of the original I can’t think of any other reason. The Cube one has no fog and in progressive scan you can see for miles.

The 64 one is like a trip to Hawaii...where it rained the entire time. The Cube one removes the rain.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:57 AM »
I find it funny that the N64 is only "OK" years later after it has become cheap and you just grab throwaway games for it and go "this is OK I guess"

Mischief Makers is the only thing I really feel the need to play ever.

and that could've been an SNES game basically.

I don't get why it was even on N64.  It feels like a PSX game.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »
I never did beat Wonder Project J2. I should just go watch some 12 year old super play it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
speaking of superplay, I made this observation years ago that people who excel at N64 controllers basically suck at any other controller.

I watch these Smash Bros. Savants f*cking suck at basic use of a dual shock controller, and it cracks me up.

They must have brain damage that only allows them to comprehend the N64.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
I once got completely owned in MvC2 by a guy who’s weapon of choice was the standard Dreamcast pad.

Yeah, no kidding. I don’t even...