Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3400 times)

nopepper

Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »
Dude, I was complimenting Atlantean. The point of bringing it up was not to compare systems, but to focus on the fact that a game might have some technical flaws (either due to system limitations, 1 man development teams, etc.) but still be fun to play.

The Saturn JP library is amazing, if you like shooters and fighters, and/or are fluent in japanese. And even with those items checked, the library does not have the breadth of the PSX.

In any case, you don't like the N64, cool. I think you are underrating it. To each their own.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 06:47:59 AM »
Dude, I was complimenting Atlantean. The point of bringing it up was not to compare systems, but to focus on the fact that a game might have some technical flaws (either due to system limitations, 1 man development teams, etc.) but still be fun to play.

The Saturn JP library is amazing, if you like shooters and fighters, and/or are fluent in japanese. And even with those items checked, the library does not have the breadth of the PSX.

In any case, you don't like the N64, cool. I think you are underrating it. To each their own.

Yeah I get the Atlantean complement, I just don't see the point of bringing it up for this lol.   I guess mostly because comparing a goony game I made to stuff made by pros back in the day just seems weird in general to me.

N64 might have had a better time if they allowed some 2D stuff to exist instead of just being hardcore 3D pushing idiots with everything.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
Nobody is allowed to enjoy anything on the N64.  Arkhan hath spoken.  :roll:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »
Nobody is allowed to enjoy anything on the N64.  Arkhan hath spoken.  :roll:

That's ...not what I, or Zeta, or anyone else of the same sentiment has actually said.

People can enjoy their Nintendo's Version of the SuperGrafx or PCFX all they want.  It doesn't mean it's a great machine with a powerhouse library lol.

Everyone's basically confirmed that it has about 10 games tops that are fun and it's only good because it's all so cheap now.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »
That's ...not what I, or Zeta, or anyone else of the same sentiment has actually said.

When you respond over and over again with "It sucks!", that is what you're saying.

People can enjoy their Nintendo's Version of the SuperGrafx or PCFX all they want.  It doesn't mean it's a great machine with a powerhouse library lol.

Good thing nobody is trying to say that then.

U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nopepper

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »

Now come on, no reason to bring up the Virtual Boy to this conversation.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
The N64 library's much narrower variety is comprised mostly of the kinds of games in which framerates have a much larger impact. Games like Riglord Sagas, Daisenryakus, Megami Tenseis, Final Fantasys, etc literally din't have their gameplay affected by lower framerates. Unlike all of those N64'ified/cart compromised versions of traditional games and genres, where everything they can get away with and too much they didn't was forced to be realtime 3D and the rest are pretty much all reliant on realtime 3D gameplay.

Framerate issues also have a much bigger impact and are much more noticeable when they're rendering visuals with minimal detail and variety, which is then distorted with several layers of filtering and reduced draw distance due to fog. It's bad enough when you're struggling to discern what onscreen is shooting at you. Anything less than a smooth framerate just kills it altogether.

Maybe, but none of the games I like in the system, sans Starfox, really suffer from choppy frame rates, or at least enough to distract against gameplay (such as Waverace). The only FPS that I find playable, and it's pretty great, is Doom 64. I thought the Turoks were sloppy even when they were new, and Goldeneye/PD are unplayable today (unless you are a millenial).

I was just responding to your comment about why framerate comes up so much in N64 discussion. I didn't bother pointing out that your notion of Playstation games making Saturn games "look like shit" doesn't make sense, especially within the context of framerate.

I also selectively like N64 games that happen to have more balanced visuals to compliment what's underneath, but the N64 fans who get super defensive in these kinds of discussions always bring up lists of lame N64 games and nonsense like "only blurring" matters.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »
When you respond over and over again with "It sucks!", that is what you're saying.

no, when I reply with "it sucks", that means it sucks.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy something that sucks.  The people enjoying it admit it sucks too.  Taco Bell sucks and we all eat it.

If you want to imply new meanings to justify your eyeroll emoji, that's not our problem. 

back to it now,

Was there ever any interviews discussing why there weren't more 2Dish games like Mischief Makers? 

Why didn't they try more things like that since it was being successful on the other platforms?

There probably could have been some really well done 2D games, and the dumbassed N64 controller would've been pretty good for them.

You had Kirby/Tarzan/Mischief Makers, and that was it?  I can't think of any other 2D with 3D graphics platformers.

Oh.  Paper Mario.

And more Wonder Project J2-esque stuff would've probably been a great time.

It might have made Quest 64 actually good if that's how it was presented....

I just don't get it.   The PS1 and Saturn were cranking out 2D games and they were still being bought left and right.   Why'd Nintendo basically go "f*ck that shit.  we need some really crapped up 3D instead"

nopepper

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
I was just responding to your comment about why framerate comes up so much in N64 discussion. I didn't bother pointing out that your notion of Playstation games making Saturn games "look like shit" doesn't make sense, especially within the context of framerate.

I also selectively like N64 games that happen to have more balanced visuals to compliment what's underneath, but the N64 fans who get super defensive in these kinds of discussions always bring up lists of lame N64 games and nonsense like "only blurring" matters.

Sorry, my point did not come across clearly. When I wrote this: "If we are going to compare PSX's library to N64, then of course the N64 will look like shit. But the same can be said of the Saturn. That doesn't mean the Saturn sucks. Or the N64.", I was merely talking about the breadth and quality of the library, and not in context to the visuals and frame rates.

Out of curiosity, and perhaps to put this back in topic with the OP, what N64 games do you enjoy?

nopepper

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »

Was there ever any interviews discussing why there weren't more 2Dish games like Mischief Makers? 

Why didn't they try more things like that since it was being successful on the other platforms?

There probably could have been some really well done 2D games, and the dumbassed N64 controller would've been pretty good for them.

You had Kirby/Tarzan/Mischief Makers, and that was it?  I can't think of any other 2D with 3D graphics platformers.

Oh.  Paper Mario.

And more Wonder Project J2-esque stuff would've probably been a great time.

It might have made Quest 64 actually good if that's how it was presented....

I just don't get it.   The PS1 and Saturn were cranking out 2D games and they were still being bought left and right.   Why'd Nintendo basically go "f*ck that shit.  we need some really crapped up 3D instead"

I dont remember ever reading anything specific to why Nintendo did not release more 2D type games, but they also made stuff like Yoshis Story and Kirby, so don't think they were completely against it (like Sony USA during the PSX's initial run).

I think it all goes back to the decision of going with cartridges, which alienated 3rd party developers and thus limited the number of games released, which consequently limited the number of 2D games. I reckon the other factor was that sprite based fighting games, which constituted a great proportion of 2D games during that era just didn't fit into the N64's architecture and especially the controller.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
Fighting games in general on an n64 controller is a stupid life choice. 

You can almost get away with it, but the C button setup is just a little too off for it to work right because the sizes change and it's just odd.

Enix was a two-hit wonder for n64, and only one of the two got released here.

I guess they might have just thought "wow f*ck this brb making Star Ocean 2 on PS1!"

The epics they wanted to make would've required giant carts.   Dragon Quest 7 was two discs on a PSX.

that would've been idiotic as a cartridge probably..

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
When I see and play 2D games like Kirby 64, Mischief Makers and Yoshis Story, I knew I had to make some harsh comments to participate in this discussion and pat myself on the back. But I'm no good at this, even though I'm trying to convince myself.
Instead, I played Kirby and Yoshi on the Wii VC, with mixed feelings. But then I've got to admit that I prefer Super Mario World and all the old Super Mario Bros. games over Yoshi's Island any day (bite me).

Regarding the PS1, I use it mainly for 2D games. Shooters, Puzzle and Castlevania. The majority of them being Japanese imports. 3D? Oh well, Tekken 3, Silent Hill and Ridge Racer 4, that's it. Let me tell you that teh JP version of R4 sucks bad due to the lack of Dualshock analog stick support, I had to learn it the hard way. Now I've got both the JP and US version of that game, and no one is stupid enough to buy the JP version from me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:44:51 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

lukester

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
Kirby 64 and Mischief Makers are classics. I love mixing and matching abilities in Kirby, there are some super fun combinations. Mischief Makers is fast, fluid, and the shake shake is a fun gimmick.

I'm iffy on Yoshi's story. It's a lot worse than the original, but it strangely has an arcadey pick up and play quality, with the special scores and tons of branching pathes.