Author Topic: Super SD System 3  (Read 15585 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Super SD System 3
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
Terraonion should have sent Black Tiger one to review for free.

When it was announced, I wanted to offer to do some gratuitous pixelart for the menus, but they already got soneone who is doing actual "retro" pixelart instead of PC Engine pixelart. So it's dim and dull colors that look auto converted from something and lots of dithering with very few colors.

Still a very nice looking menu system though, especially compared to PCE flashcarts.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Terraonion should have sent Black Tiger one to review for free.

I agree, Black_Tiger be doing us all a big favor by stress testing it ;)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:06 AM »
Still a very nice looking menu system though, especially compared to PCE flashcarts.

Heh, that's a low bar.  I'd like a nicer looking one for the TED, but I'd settle for the buttons being reversed to the "correct" orientation.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

crazydean

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »

Heh, that's a low bar.  I'd like a nicer looking one for the TED, but I'd settle for the buttons being reversed to the "correct" orientation.

Ha, good luck with that. It seems that is the chosen button orientation for all of his products.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
He might not care to change it, but that doesn't rule out someone else making a custom menu file.

tbone3969

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
Will this work on the SuperGrafx?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Black Tiger

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 09:10:51 AM »
Will this work on the SuperGrafx?

Yes, see OP's link.

NightWolve

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Ordering link:
https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

Really with an Everdrive costing about $80 anyway and an RGB mod on a system probably another $50-70 it's not too outrageous if you are just starting out.  Very neat but like many others I'll probably hold off since I already have working units, if the price comes down in the future who knows though ;)

Same. Interesting product though, good to see! An HDMI output port would've made it really tempting! I'd have to buy a PC Engine though also, I only own a Turbo Duo and Express. The TG16 I won from a contest broke on me, exhibited psychedelic colors on any game, wonder if Steve-o could've fixed it but I tossed it long ago.

kosko99

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2017, 06:21:12 PM »
It's quite tempting but having only a Duo-R is quite not an option to me ^^U
Even thou, you all know what happens with the PCE/TG... once you start collecting systems... lol

Kavas

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:36 AM »
Hello,

Question for you aficionados... which of the supported systems would be best for this? I was reading up about the different PCE it supports and it seems some have different revisions of the CPU. Would this at all affect how well they run with this addon?

Would I need any sort of existing mod in place?

How about color? I see this shell might be black in color. Would I be better off getting the CoreGFX II to match it ?

Which of the supported is the cheapest/most reliable?

I own a RX but collecting CD's for it is slow coming. Thanks!

tbone3969

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
I'm gonna use it with my SuperGrafx as then you can truly play the entire library 100%.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

turboswimbz

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2017, 05:57:08 AM »
Hello,

Question for you aficionados... which of the supported systems would be best for this? I was reading up about the different PCE it supports and it seems some have different revisions of the CPU. Would this at all affect how well they run with this addon?

How about color? I see this shell might be black in color. Would I be better off getting the CoreGFX II to match it ?

I own a RX but collecting CD's for it is slow coming. Thanks!

IF your going to go out and get a system I would suggest just getting the coregrafx.  I or II doesn't really matter here.  the only reason I would suggest the core over the regular white is the AV out which may be easier to deal with with various set ups and as a stand alone if you don't have this add on on the system, it also has the board updates, which I don't think are worth actually factoring in here, maybe someone else has a different view though.  it also appears to match the color of the 3 kinda well. 

Basically, whatever standard core or PC engine you find for a good deal is perfect.  this also acts as all the mods you'd need.  it's the reason to get it!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

JAPJAC

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »
JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!:

(Under the TFP Features section):

http://www.japjac.proboards.com/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:36:08 AM by JAPJAC »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2017, 07:37:04 AM »

Only the SuperGrafx and early CoreGrafx I systems have the revised sound chip, which fixed a popping sound that'd occur whenever there was a big change in volume levels or a channel turned on/off.  Other than the sound fix, there's no reason this add-on would work any differently with 'em, so it's up to you to decide if the fix is worth worrying about.

Only if you want a region mod for physical hueys or video mods (component/svideo/hdmi).

The CoreGrafx II is the light grey and orange one, so it wouldn't be a great match; the CoreGrafx I is dark grey and blue, so it wouldn't match but would probably coordinate better; the closest but probably not identical match would be a TurboGrafx-16, though the contrast with an OG (white) PCE could look good too.

The TG-16 and three core PCEs are all fairly reliable.  The only systems that really have issues are those with lasers.

Black Tiger

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
The Super SD System shell is "clear" black.

My memory is that the revised soundchip fixed a bug which limited the use of higher quality samples without additional cpu resource and that it introduces misc distortion to some samples in games programmed for/tested on hardware with the regular soundchip.

So the CoreGrafx and SuperGrafx have the potential to run cool sample based sounds made for homebrew (like Tom's demos), but it is not known if any games bitd took advantage.