Author Topic: Super SD System 3  (Read 15369 times)

Mathius

Re: Super SD System 3
« Reply #255 on: March 17, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
This is looking more and more tempting...
Yes it is.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
I finished unzipping and converting a "complete" set of Turbo/PCE isos. Often a Japanese version is not included if there is an English version of a game. Some demos are included. It seems to be as complete as can be expected for commercial releases, except Daisenryaku II is missing. It currently totals 438 discs and takes up 174GB. So a 256GB sd card has plenty of room for published homebrew, hacks and translations. I just need to figure out how to rip hombrew CD games. :P

Opening the folder of CD games in the SSS3 menu takes 13 seconds and then navigating through them is as fast as folders of any format or size. My HuCard rom folder has 768 files, is 218MB in size and takes a split second to open. It includes translations, sound roms, hes files and misc demos.

Traditional sound roms don't usually work with the SSS3, but some do. Sound roms made by Deflemask that I've tried have not worked. Hes files don't show up in the list. Tom's adpcm example roms, which are decoded by the PC Engine's cpu and not the IFU chip, play fine. So for now, the Turbo Everdrive is still relevant for its ability to play chiptune rips. But it's still much easier to navigate through HuCard roms on the SSS3.

I'd resisted stretching out my SSS3 by trying it on my unmodified TG-16 until today. After spending a lot of time using it with my white PC Engine, I noticed a lot more static/lines/misc across picture when a CD game was loading or certain processes were happening during games of any kind. During typical gameplay segments though, there was only the minimal jailbars I described before. This PC Engine has an RGB mod which produces a picture as perfect as I've seen with various video mods performed by various people. It also has a region switch mod.

When I tried the SS3 with my unmodified TurboGrafx-16 (and SMS psu), I found none of those picture issues during processes and the in-game jailbars are pretty much invisible while the screen is moving. Knowing exactly what a stronger version of them looks like makes them more apparent to me, but they're still difficult to pick out at first, even when a game is paused.

This is why I wanted to report imperfections with a disclaimer about the setups I was trying. Many people take recommended settings as an "excuse" for problems with a product. I've already narrowed down not only a range of issues from using a cheap power supply and possibly unoptimal RGB cable, but it now seems that a jailbar fix, RGB or region switch mods are also the cause of picture quality degradation.

I'm probably going to go back to my original plan of getting an umodified CoreGrafx with stock power supply to use withe SSS3 and a Packapunch MD2 cable without audio breakout. I'll just use a TED with my modded SuperGrafx when I feel like playing SGX games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks BT I really appreciate the clear info you're providing. 

I have an unmodified core grafx2 collecting dust that I had hoped to use in my office so maybe this will be my best option short of buying a tiny crt or pm

Is there any interface to hook this thing up to a pc to transfer builds, or do you need go remove SD card each time to update?

Black Tiger

« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Thanks BT I really appreciate the clear info you're providing. 

I have an unmodified core grafx2 collecting dust that I had hoped to use in my office so maybe this will be my best option short of buying a tiny crt or pm

Is there any interface to hook this thing up to a pc to transfer builds, or do you need go remove SD card each time to update?

I'm not sure if they left an option to create one, but they did for the NeoSD Pro. It's basically lined in, but they didn't waste resources on the port itself, since 99% of customers have no use for it.

xelement5x

« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
FX Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine works fine, but for some reason the redbook audio even at the lowest volumes, has some kind of reverb distortion, as though the volume is cranked all the way. Maybe ripping the pressed disc will produce something different? All ripped CD games I've tried so far, even mp3-to-wav conversions, sound normal.

I see that under the radar humblebrag!

I can't wait for the game to come out officially and see everything you guys have pulled off on the system ;)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Joe Redifer

« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
There are sound issues for CDDA and ADPCM that go above a certain level. I'm confident that the same issues would be present in HuCard audio if HuCard sound could go loud enough. Coury from My Life in Gaming and I are working with TerraOnion to resolve this issue which they say they can fix with firmware. But it will be a few weeks because there's some nonsense going on in Spain now, some holiday or something else that they do.

xelement5x

« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
There are sound issues for CDDA and ADPCM that go above a certain level. I'm confident that the same issues would be present in HuCard audio if HuCard sound could go loud enough. Coury from My Life in Gaming and I are working with TerraOnion to resolve this issue which they say they can fix with firmware. But it will be a few weeks because there's some nonsense going on in Spain now, some holiday or something else that they do.

Sounds about right.  I bought stuff from a dude in Spain one time and he told me he couldn't ship it for like 2 weeks because of some holiday.  At first I called bullshit, but then I did some research and realized that is really what it is like over there.  No wonder the UK left :P
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Black Tiger

« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

Makes sense. They mentioned a while back when they first did the redesign, how they adjusted the sound levels and could do so in the future if needed, all through just the firmware. They even considered a suggestion to allow the end user to make sound balance adjustments sometime in the future.

I'm guessing that this is the reason the that redbook audio has the issue it does while playing FX Unit Yuki on the SSS3. It doesn't seem to happen until the bgm really kicks in, then it doesn't go away.

SavagePencil

« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
Would those sound issues include not having a buzz increase when it accesses the SD card?  That's pretty awful.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Reverse the capacitor marked C60! If you use composite video or sync-on-composite for your RGB cable it could cause issues over time. Just flip it around. It's mounted in the wrong orientation. If you use C-sync for your RGB cable then you should be fine.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:59:08 PM by Joe Redifer »

broken

« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
Reverse the capacitor marked C60! If you use composite video or sync-on-composite for your RGB cable it could cause issues over time. Just flip it around. It's mounted in the wrong orientation. If you use C-sync for your RGB cable then you should be fine.

Actually, that capacitor C60 IS for Composite sync, not composite video.

So if you use a Csync cable, it should really be flipped around. However don't expect a change in video quality.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
Voultar looked at it and he said: "C60 A.C. couples composite video. It doesn't have anything to do with csync."

I'm curious, what makes you think it's for C-sync? Either way though, it should be flipped.

mickcris

« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
I pointed that out on page 1 of the thread on the shmups forum.  They didn't seem to care then and probably still dont.  It was also like this on their protype.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1289822#p1289822

Joe Redifer

« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2018, 09:53:27 PM »
Anyone having issues running games ripped by TurboRip? I ripped two games (Ys IV translated and Castlevania Rondo of Blood Translated) from discs I have (the later was given to me at a con I think). I get LOAD ERROR no matter what. Can anyone recommend a good ripping program that will rip to BIN/CUE? The SD3 seems to like that.

broken

« Reply #269 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
Voultar looked at it and he said: "C60 A.C. couples composite video. It doesn't have anything to do with csync."

I'm curious, what makes you think it's for C-sync? Either way though, it should be flipped.

You are absolutely correct. I just rebuzzed out the pins and found that it was indeed hooked to composite video rather than Csync. I never realized composite video would need to be amplified on the PCE.