Author Topic: Super SD System 3  (Read 15468 times)

Keith Courage

Re: Super SD System 3
« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
Imgburn will do Bin/Cue but I prefer Alcohol 120% myself. It's just what I'm used to using.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »
Thanks, that did the trick! My Alcohol complains that its trial is up (thought I had a good version, guess not) but I'm more used to IMGBURN anyway. I figured TurboRip was made for a reason, that reason being that other rippers weren't very good. But I guess TurboRip is still the best if you want to apply translation patches and whatnot. Or do simple things like fix that one underground track in Shadow of the Beast where you get hiss noise that comes in after 4 or 5 seconds because someone whoopsied during the mastering.

Groover

« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
This is a really cool product. I'm just waiting for the revision that works out all the kinks.

I'm happy to hear they are listening to the community and improving the product.

synbiosfan

« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »
I'm really enjoying mine. Not playing anything I haven't already played but my lazy ass loves everything at my fingertips.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
This is a really cool product. I'm just waiting for the revision that works out all the kinks.

I'm happy to hear they are listening to the community and improving the product.

I'm just worried that might not happen the ways things are going right now. I'm glad I got in on one - especially if they pull the plug on the project altogether. I love mine so far.

toaks

« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:12 AM »
Anyone having issues running games ripped by TurboRip? I ripped two games (Ys IV translated and Castlevania Rondo of Blood Translated) from discs I have (the later was given to me at a con I think). I get LOAD ERROR no matter what. Can anyone recommend a good ripping program that will rip to BIN/CUE? The SD3 seems to like that.

I used TurboRip to rip all my games and so far they have worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Tiger

« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »

I'm just worried that might not happen the ways things are going right now. I'm glad I got in on one - especially if they pull the plug on the project altogether. I love mine so far.

Just keep in mind that products like the Turbo Everdrive and Hi-Def NES/Analogue Nt have gone years without similar or worse "kinks" being solved and everyone loves them.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

NightWolve

« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
Reverse the capacitor marked C60! If you use composite video or sync-on-composite for your RGB cable it could cause issues over time. Just flip it around. It's mounted in the wrong orientation. If you use C-sync for your RGB cable then you should be fine.

Thanks for the pro-tip GameSack.net! Very nice clear photo!

Anyone having issues running games ripped by TurboRip? I ripped two games (Ys IV translated and Castlevania Rondo of Blood Translated) from discs I have (the later was given to me at a con I think). I get LOAD ERROR no matter what. Can anyone recommend a good ripping program that will rip to BIN/CUE? The SD3 seems to like that.

Ah darn, I was asking them if ISO/WAV/CUE image file format worked properly as that's crucial/easier for PCECD fan translation projects, somewhere they said it works but guess not for you. So the backup plan would be to rip/patch them to ISO/WAV/CUE, mount the CUE file with Alcohol or whatever Virtual CD software you have which should process them fine, rip again with a BIN/CUE ripper like ImgBurn or whatever for your OS platform (Joe's an Apple guy I believe).

Or, you look hard enough, you can probably find 'em all pre-patched somewhere in BIN/CUE...

Here's what I posted in the neo-geo.com forums:

I waited until now to post about my initial experience with the PCE Super SD System 3, because I wanted to have something factual to present, to discourage people from reporting problems that are likely not the result of the SSS3 itself.

When I first went to try out my SSS3 I was surprised to find that I don't have or have misplaced official power supplies for my white PC Engine, SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx-16. So I used one of those modern cheap Sega Genesis/SMS and NES 2-in-1 power supplies with my white PC Engine and SSS3. I also could only find csync Genesis/Mega Drive 2 scart cables with audio left/right breakout (by retrogamingcables).

I wound up with a worse version of the kind of lines and static that seemed to be the issue with the old board. Behind the lines was a color correct nice RGB image though. My PC Engine has an internal RGB mod and using that output produced a perfect picture. I didn't post about it here or anywhere, because I wasn't using a stock power supply and the audio breakout on the cable might also be a contributing factor.

Today I finally had time to find an official SMS power supply and using it with the same setup, all of the visual noise/static and strong lines are already gone. There is only faint diagonal jailbars, the kind you typically find with stock RGB for 240p consoles which actually output RGB without mods.

So I'm still not using the correct power supply and not the ideal scart cable, but the picture quality is already as good as or better than typical console stock RGB quality and much better than PC Engine RGB mods by people like doujindance.

I'm sure that there are still going to be people posting complaints online, saying that the RGB issue hasn't been fixed, neglecting to mention that they're using random power supplies or RGB cables. When I finish putting together an overview video of the SSS3, I'm going to include an uncut segment showing what happens when using a substitute power supply and then switch to an official one.

Everything else about it works great. I recommend unchecking "Boot To Last Game" until the In-Game Trigger is fixed (if it isn't already). I'm not making separate folders for games sorted by letter or favorites or anything. Navigation is so fast that it's not necessary.

FX Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine works fine, but for some reason the redbook audio even at the lowest volumes, has some kind of reverb distortion, as though the volume is cranked all the way. Maybe ripping the pressed disc will produce something different? All ripped CD games I've tried so far, even mp3-to-wav conversions, sound normal.

This product is a dream come true and I can't wait till I've finish converting the rest of my mp3 isos to wav and loading the complete set onto the 256GB card I bought for it.

Thanks a lot Terraonion. :)

Nice review!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:01:35 PM by NightWolve »

Lost Monkey

« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Thinking about ditching the bulk of my games and getting one of these... I have had most of my stuff since the early 90's... not gonna be easy, but my kids have no interest in it at all...

SmaMan

« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
I just got mine in a couple days ago and I'm lovin' it so far! I think it shipped just after they went back and flipped those caps around on the boards. (Though I'm using HD Retrovision Component cables so I'm not sure if that'll matter much in the long-run.)

As far as audio noise, I haven't seen much. Maybe a little bit here and there but I've gotta really be hunting for it. That kind of stuff has never really bothered me, but I suppose it could for other people.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

TR0N

« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
mylifeingaming look at it when that revision comes out maybe then i'll look into buying one.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Everblue

« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
I was just about to pull the trigger on this when the MLiG video was released. I am a bit worried now due to the picture noise and the various audio issues. Anyone used one of these with a Framemeister? Any particular issues?

pixeljunkie

« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
I was just about to pull the trigger on this when the MLiG video was released. I am a bit worried now due to the picture noise and the various audio issues. Anyone used one of these with a Framemeister? Any particular issues?

I use a Framemeister with mine on a 55" TV - original white PCE + retrogamingcables.uk RGB cable

Audio noise is really only noticeable when the card is accessing. As I've stated before...clean the hell out of your EXT BUS before hooking this up and it helps with audio noise. Visual noise is case-by-case. It's not something I would EVER really notice or complain about. If you have scanlines on it's even less noticeable. Even as-is, with the "complaints" I'm seeing online and the concerns in the MLiG video it's still one of the coolest things I've bought in ages. Love it. Highly recommended!

technozombie

« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
This seems really cool, but I just can't justify it. I have a doujindance Duo-R that need some work done and I think that would be a better place to put my dollars.

zetastrike

« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
They are going to fix that capacitor right?  My PCE has (or will have) s-video installed, so I'd rather just use that if the hd retrovision cables will hurt it.  I love that we're finally seeing solid state replacements for CD consoles like this, the Saturn, and 3DO.  I just got my Rhea and love that, this seems just as good.