Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88460 times)

city41

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1395 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:07 AM »
My girlfriend and I have been playing Monster Lair on virtual console (the Turbo version). Great game, but gets a little repetitive.

I'm also playing a good deal of Blazing Lazers and Aero Blasters on real hardware. I love Aero Blasters!

Nando

« Reply #1396 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »
Image Fight emu...still getting my ass kicked

Tatsujin emu...no comment, bullet awareness kicking my ass as well.

farankoshan

« Reply #1397 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
Blazing Lazers, trying to finally clear it once and for all.

A worth challenge, that I still haven't completed :(
Don't shoot at the first boss at all and let him flee and you will find the game is a lot easier to clear after you do that little trick ;)

Really?! THIS WORKS! In all my years, I never knew... I'm going home now to try it out!!
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot f*ck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

jperryss

« Reply #1398 on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Don't shoot at the first boss at all and let him flee and you will find the game is a lot easier to clear after you do that little trick ;)
Really?! THIS WORKS! In all my years, I never knew... I'm going home now to try it out!!

I have tried this a few times. I can't manage to dodge his attacks long enough to get him to flee and I end up getting killed.

I've tried shooting off his two sides and then waiting in the upper corner. He does eventually leave, but I don't get the bonus. I'm guessing you have to leave him intact or not hit him at all. My problem ends up being the crap flying around everywhere, especially when he corners you and leaves you no space to move.

Anyway...Stage 9 is making me want to kick a puppy. I have gotten there about 6 times this week, usually still on my first credit, and that part right after the tank boss gets me nearly every time. The few times I've gotten through it, then the triangle boss again, I get wrecked on the next part.

Sigh...

roflmao

« Reply #1399 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
I have tried this a few times. I can't manage to dodge his attacks long enough to get him to flee and I end up getting killed.

I've tried shooting off his two sides and then waiting in the upper corner. He does eventually leave, but I don't get the bonus. I'm guessing you have to leave him intact or not hit him at all. My problem ends up being the crap flying around everywhere, especially when he corners you and leaves you no space to move.

Anyway...Stage 9 is making me want to kick a puppy. I have gotten there about 6 times this week, usually still on my first credit, and that part right after the tank boss gets me nearly every time. The few times I've gotten through it, then the triangle boss again, I get wrecked on the next part.

Sigh...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a video on You Tube showing someone avoiding the first boss for the bonus.  You might be able to see his pattern there.  Also, I think the avoid-boss bonus applies to every odd-level in the game (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc) though I could be wrong.

storino03

« Reply #1400 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Can't even get past the first stage in that game. The first boss is fine, but after that it's just difficult. Are most shooters in the same way where if you die, you have to start the stage over? I thought you would respawn lol.

Anyways, I'm sort of playing Final Lap Twin. Unique game, but I can't even win any races LOL

roflmao

« Reply #1401 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
Can't even get past the first stage in that game. The first boss is fine, but after that it's just difficult. Are most shooters in the same way where if you die, you have to start the stage over? I thought you would respawn lol.

In Blazing Lazers there are some powerup spheres that cycle through different powerups (I-IV or the different 2nd tier abilities).  Whe you shoot them they stop cycling for a moment.  If you shoot them a ton, they will eventually start flashing and moving back towards the top of the screen. If you pick them up when they are flashing like that, then your ship starts off in the same spot as where you died.  

Anyways, I'm sort of playing Final Lap Twin. Unique game, but I can't even win any races LOL

Well at least when you lose you still end up getting more money.  :)  After a couple of upgrades and some track memorization, you should be able to whip through most of the random battles pretty easily.  The bosses can be pretty tricky, though, if I remember correctly. I started playing through this again a few months ago and really enjoyed it, but moved on to something else after about the second boss.  I'll have to pick it up again.  I hate those passwords....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:55:16 PM by roflmao »

SMF

« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Really getting into some R-Type again. I beat it as a kid trying to get threw it again. The screen flashed brings back sooo many memories lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Lilgrafx

« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »

Blazing Lazers is know as one of the easier shoot 'em ups on the system there's 9 stages and shit goes down on the 9 stage. Don't be discouraged though memorizing patterns through several playthrough will get you further in, and make sure you pick up the shield It makes things easy.

jperryss

« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
Finally did it!

A nearly maxed out weapon III + homing missiles ended up doing the trick on stage 9 where I was having so much trouble. After how rough this level was, the boss fight didn't end up being too bad and I got through on my first attempt.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I like shooters but I'm not very good at 'em and could probably count all the turbob shmups I've cleared on one hand. As frustrating as this one got, I just couldn't stop playing it, and it was a satisfying clear.

Now I can finally move on. Yay.  :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:34:26 PM by jperryss »

roflmao

« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
Finally did it!
A nearly maxed out weapon III + homing missiles ended up doing the trick on stage 9 where I was having so much trouble. After how rough this level was, the boss fight didn't end up being too bad and I got through on my first attempt.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I like shooters but I'm not very good at 'em and could probably count all the turbob shmups I've cleared on one hand. As frustrating as this one got, I just couldn't stop playing it, and it was a satisfying clear.

Now I can finally move on. Yay.  :D

Sweet!  Congratulations!

SMF

« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
Finally did it!

Sweet!  Congratulations!

Yes congrats, Easy to keep plaing when the Blazeing Lazers music is soooo badass.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

esteban

« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
Finally did it!

Congratulations! I loved how graceful (and unexpected!) the final boss "lady" was....the world needs more games with elegance like that!
  |    | 

jperryss

« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Playing through this one really reminded me of The Guardian Legend, which I own for the NES, and loved as a kid but have not played through in many years. You can definitely see the similarities in the two games, especially the eyeball mid-boss and the stage 8 skull boss with the eyes. I think I recognized some of the sound effects too. I understand Compile developed both games, which would explain the similarities.

Congratulations! I loved how graceful (and unexpected!) the final boss "lady" was....the world needs more games with elegance like that!

Yep, definitely! It was kind of a nice touch after such a hellish level. The very final part was a little frantic though.

Any recommendations on US shmups with comparable difficulty? Sadly I've got a bunch of TG and PCE hueys that have been neglected since I bought them, but now that I have some more time I plan on finally giving them a go. With the exception of Deep Blue and Sinistron, I think I've got every other US shooter (some are PCE versions though). I'd like to work my way up in difficulty.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:46:05 PM by jperryss »

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
I've been playing Galaga 90 and I have been loving it!

PCE is Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition....with the stranded 2 button controller lol!!!