Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91558 times)

KnightWarrior

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1740 on: October 11, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
I played Air Zonk last night, fun game

Nando

« Reply #1741 on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:02 AM »
  It's R-Type. :/

LMAO! it's like the video game version of a dominatrix, keeps kicking your ass but somehow you keep going back to it. ;) At least it is not Tatsujin masochist level.

Been playing Shubibinman 1, The lost sun heart and Dynastic Hero.

rrob78

« Reply #1742 on: October 12, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
Played Parasol Stars 2 days ago after testing Bernie's Super System Card 3.0, lots of fun!!

Bardoly

« Reply #1743 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
Played some Shockman last night for the first time.
I'm not really sure what I was expecting in the game, but it wasn't what I expected.
I beat the first couple of levels before putting it away for the night.

I also went back to Draxula X: Rondo of Blood a couple of days ago and finally beat it with Maria with 96%.  (I still can't find the missing 4%.)  Now I need to beat it with Richter.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #1744 on: October 16, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Devils Crush and ICFTD.

Neurosis138

« Reply #1745 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
I was playing Soldier Blade and some Splatterhouse tonight.  Both games are excellent, and provided me with some much needed relaxation from work.

Bardoly

« Reply #1746 on: October 17, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »
Played some L-Dis last night.
Not a bad game at all.  Didn't have enough time to play more than the first two stages, but I'll definitely have to come back to this one.

Bardoly

« Reply #1747 on: October 18, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Played through and beat The Legend of Hero Tonma (U.S. version) last night.  Really, it's a decent game, although I only gave it a '6' on PCE Daisakusen.

DarkKobold

« Reply #1748 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
While not actually turbografx, I have to talk about it.

Got Crystal Beans: from Dungeon Explorer last night, and played through it. Got a really minty copy from Japan for pretty cheap, given how great of condition it is, and how badly I wanted it. For those who don't know, it is a port of Dungeon Explorer 2 to the Super Famicom. I'm a huge, huge Dungeon Explorer fan, so playing through this was awesome.

It is a really, really interesting port, given that the graphics are nearly identical, aside from the Chibi characters and town folk. I think one of the most interesting points is how the levels feel like they were bulk imported, because they are verbatim identical to DE2. However, a bunch of enemies were taken out, to the point that it feels unintentional, as if they didn't bother to make sure the import went properly. To that effect, I imagine some of the level designs would feel totally nonsensical if you hadn't played DE2.  This is because there are wide open hallways with nothing to do, or weird wall formations that have nothing in them.

That said, I really enjoyed humming along with the tunes I know  so well from DE2. If you are a fan of the series, this is a must own title, just for the absolute weirdness of the port. If you aren't thrilled with DE, then I would give this game a pass. Its a weaker version of Dungeon Explorer 2, and doesn't replace owning the original.
Hey, you.

esteban

« Reply #1749 on: October 20, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Played through and beat The Legend of Hero Tonma (U.S. version) last night.  Really, it's a decent game, although I only gave it a '6' on PCE Daisakusen.

Agreed. I have tried to promote Hero Tonma as a poor man's Karnov (NES). Now, Karnov doesn't get much love, so it's been an uphill battle. Karnov is wonderful, though. I wish Hero Tonma had an inventory of items like Karnov.

OK, I'll stop.

While not actually turbografx, I have to talk about it.

Got Crystal Beans: from Dungeon Explorer last night, and played through it. Got a really minty copy from Japan for pretty cheap, given how great of condition it is, and how badly I wanted it. For those who don't know, it is a port of Dungeon Explorer 2 to the Super Famicom. I'm a huge, huge Dungeon Explorer fan, so playing through this was awesome.

It is a really, really interesting port, given that the graphics are nearly identical, aside from the Chibi characters and town folk. I think one of the most interesting points is how the levels feel like they were bulk imported, because they are verbatim identical to DE2. However, a bunch of enemies were taken out, to the point that it feels unintentional, as if they didn't bother to make sure the import went properly. To that effect, I imagine some of the level designs would feel totally nonsensical if you hadn't played DE2.  This is because there are wide open hallways with nothing to do, or weird wall formations that have nothing in them.

That said, I really enjoyed humming along with the tunes I know  so well from DE2. If you are a fan of the series, this is a must own title, just for the absolute weirdness of the port. If you aren't thrilled with DE, then I would give this game a pass. Its a weaker version of Dungeon Explorer 2, and doesn't replace owning the original.

For folks who want to compare SFC vs. DUO versions of Dungeon Explorer 2: Dungeon Explorer II: PCE (1993, SCD) vs. SFC (1995)

|    | 

KnightWarrior

« Reply #1750 on: October 21, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
How do you beat the Boss in Round 3 on Bonk's Revenge??

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1751 on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »
How do you beat the Boss in Round 3 on Bonk's Revenge??

That's the ballerina, right?  Surprisingly, I find bonking her in the head works great.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sadler

« Reply #1752 on: October 22, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Ys IV dub and GnG for me. Love both, but GnG makes me want to break things. :D

DarkKobold

« Reply #1753 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »

For folks who want to compare SFC vs. DUO versions of Dungeon Explorer 2: Dungeon Explorer II: PCE (1993, SCD) vs. SFC (1995)

I love this particular pair of pictures, because it highlights what I consider the 2nd worse design decision in the game. They moved the dragon boss to another fight, and put the centipede in that room - which has around 1/3rd the space to move, making the centipede boss ridiculously difficult to fight!

The biggest design mistake is that the Piano is present through the entire Dracula fight (it disappears after the intro in DE2), making it EXTREMELY easy to get trapped by the boss or his bats, which leads to an easy death.
Hey, you.

roflmao

« Reply #1754 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
I just got back from a short RV trip (Boys only trip; just me and my son) and I finally dug into Bloody Wolf.  I think I made it to the final boss (I'm pretty sure that was the President tied up in the background), but I just couldn't figure out a pattern to beat him.  I LOVED playing through it, though, and can't wait giving that boss another shot (it's really not that long of a game if this is the last boss).

Also, I just got Hellfire S and Super Darius in the mail, so I played them a bunch while we were RVing.  I used to own Hellfire S and I forgot how quickly the difficulty ramps up.  I was able to beat the first level or two without issue and then I hit a wall.  I do enjoy the play mechanics (switching your weapon direction: front > back > top/bottom > 4 diagonal on the fly).  And those cut-scenes...  :)

Super Darius is tough as nails.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  It's pretty crazy on the SNES (I have Darius Twin) and the Saturn (I have Darius Gaiden).  After about 15 minutes of pummeling, I gave up.  I don't think I made it more than 2 or 3 levels in.  :oops:

I've also restarted my games of Dragon Knight III, Mysterious Song, Ys III and Dracula X.  Slowly but surely I'll get back to where I was before my saves got erased.