Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91436 times)

CPTRAVE

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1995 on: January 20, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
Just finished ValisII awesome game. Time to start part III

-D-

« Reply #1996 on: January 20, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
Played Daisenpu Custom twice, I keep getting stuck at the boss of.... can't remember, Area 4 or 5.  It's actually 2 enemies, and they pop up out of the water.  The hitbox takes a little getting used to, bullets can graze through half your wing, but everywhere else will kill you, and with this boss the tail of your ship is the particularly hard part to avoid from getting hit.

esteban

« Reply #1997 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »
Played Daisenpu Custom twice, I keep getting stuck at the boss of.... can't remember, Area 4 or 5.  It's actually 2 enemies, and they pop up out of the water.  The hitbox takes a little getting used to, bullets can graze through half your wing, but everywhere else will kill you, and with this boss the tail of your ship is the particularly hard part to avoid from getting hit.

That hitbox! Toaplan does this in a bunch of its games: In Tiger Heli (NES) for example, the bullets can graze the left-right side (very, very tiny wings a handful of pixels wide)...HOWEVER, it will AUTOMATICALLY DEPLOY a BOMB! It's like a "safety feature" of your helicopter, and it helps some players...but for experienced players it becomes an INTERESTING PENALTY FOR BEING SLOPPY.

I have always been intrigued by this wonderful little feature of the game.

BACK ON TOPIC: As you play Daisenpu, tell me if the music changes. I can't find my disc, but I recall hearing the same song in every stage (maybe I'm wrong). ANYWAY, this has been bothering me for years and I always ask folks about it whenever they mention the game. TO DATE, NO ONE HAS EVER ANSWERED ME! Maybe the problem is that all the songs are nondescript and blend together into one big bland wall of Red Book?

-D-, you have a mission. Do me proud.

|    | 

Bardoly

« Reply #1998 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
Played through to the penultimate level of Hellfire S yesterday evening by myself, and this evening, I invited over a friend for the specific purpose of playing some 2-player simultaneous Hellfire S...

...after many, many, many deaths, we conquered Hellfire S!  (Actually, I'm much better than he at shoot-'em-ups, but having him there for the last two levels really soaked up a lot of bullets which would have been coming at me.   :-"   )

Pretty good game, even if its multi-directional firing 'gimmick' is a bit odd.   I'm going to rate it a solid '7' at PCE Daisakusen.

lukester

« Reply #1999 on: January 22, 2013, 03:12:13 AM »
I played nothing but R Type for over a week, finally beat it.  The whole thing is doable, just took me a long while until I was good enough.  Good luck!

Thanks!  :D  I think that's the beauty of R-Type, you can feel that it's possible to beat, but you need to be good enough for it. That's a quality some of the best games ever made have, like Megaman 2 or Contra III, for example. But R-Type stays in a very specific place among these games, because unlike the aforementioned, there's no place for errors. You loose one life (and every item you got with it) in some parts of the game and it's almost a Game Over sentence  :mrgreen:

I had that same feeling with Sidearms and Aeroblasters. Great games that just needed a lot of practice. Sidearms took me two weeks to beat, while Aeroblasters took about a few weeks spread across several months. I wish that the sequel, Sidearms Special, was as addictive and special as the first one...

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #2000 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »
Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 tonight, the thing that sucked though was halfway into the ending cut-scene my system goes back to the Duo start-up screen! I've only had one other issue the whole way playing. Luckily I could finish viewing it on Youtube, I enjoyed the game but it was getting pretty stale towards the end. I think I'm going to start Psychic Storm now...

turboswimbz

« Reply #2001 on: January 22, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 tonight, the thing that sucked though was halfway into the ending cut-scene my system goes back to the Duo start-up screen! I've only had one other issue the whole way playing. Luckily I could finish viewing it on Youtube, I enjoyed the game but it was getting pretty stale towards the end. I think I'm going to start Psychic Storm now...

damn same thing happened to me!  the only issue I had during the game!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #2002 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
damn same thing happened to me!  the only issue I had during the game!
The other issue was one of the cut-scenes vocals were off-track. It's reassuring to know someone else had the same issue though, I was worried something might've been wrong with my system since the disc was pretty mint. I wish 1,3, & 4 were translated as the series seems to remind me of a poor man's Phantasy Star...

turboswimbz

« Reply #2003 on: January 22, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
yeah it's not a bad game.  a bit slow in parts.  pretty fun story though. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

roflmao

« Reply #2004 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
I finally got the (keith) courage to play Shape Shifter again and, luckily, it didn't wipe all my save games like last time. Holy-moly the parallax scrolling is unbelievable!  I can't believe that's coming out of a Turbografx-16!

Also, I recently received PCE Neutopia II from forum member and repair-wizard extraordinaire Keith Courage and have really been enjoying that.  I was nervous about the language barrier, but I've played so much of the first Neutopia that I haven't had that much trouble making progress.  8-direction attacking is taking some getting used to; I still normally try to attack the enemies up-down/left-right.

And I played some Blazing Lazers today.  That game never gets old.

tggodfrey

« Reply #2005 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
Tiger Road....1st completed game of 2013 for me.  not sure what to play next.  Maybe air zonk Hucard.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #2006 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
Just beat Psychic Storm while 1cc'ing it. Game wasn't very hard at all since they refill your life bar and special after each round. I'm going to go back and try the other ships and 2 player mode. The music and graphics are really nice, the voice-overs are a little muffled. There were 2 regular enemies in the game that had me scratching my head how to beat them (an enemy in the water stage that sucks your ship in & a tentacle wall thing that sometimes blocks your path in the last stage). Overall I'd recommend this game especially if you're new to shmups or want a "relaxing" shmup experience!

roflmao

« Reply #2007 on: January 22, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Just beat Psychic Storm while 1cc'ing it. Game wasn't very hard at all since they refill your life bar and special after each round. I'm going to go back and try the other ships and 2 player mode. The music and graphics are really nice, the voice-overs are a little muffled. There were 2 regular enemies in the game that had me scratching my head how to beat them (an enemy in the water stage that sucks your ship in & a tentacle wall thing that sometimes blocks your path in the last stage). Overall I'd recommend this game especially if you're new to shmups or want a "relaxing" shmup experience!

Thanks!  Sounds like my kind of shmup. :p

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #2008 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:09 AM »
Playing some Bomberman ATM. I wish it was like the old days where me and 3 other friends would play till the sun went down, but I'll have to enjoy it myself. And I have NO problems doing it.  :D
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

Bardoly

« Reply #2009 on: January 23, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
Played some Star Parodier for the first time last night and enjoyed it, even though the 'Egyptian' stage whooped me good.