Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91644 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2175 on: March 19, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
Tried dungeon explorer for the first time in my life today.

ANDDDDD... did you feel the awesomeness?  I do enjoy me some DE

Yeah, really enjoyed it.  I know it's always referred to as a Guantlet clone, but I beg to differ.  It actually feels pretty unique.  Killing the spawning "waves" and thier source is gauntlet-esque, but it's so much more than that.  In Gauntlet, the enemies are just grunts set to "chase", which isn't entirely unlike DE, but in DE there is a sense of satisfaction in killing them I felt.  The "lite" role-playing elements seem like a great implementation since I am assuming it doesn't get too serious.  I played it for about 30 minutes, so you can imagine how far I got, especially since it was my first time, but I can't wait to jump into it for a true session.  You can obiviously tell it's a bit primitive, but I don't know of another game that mixes these elements as seamless as DE appears to (so far).

30 minutes = enough time to experience the ARPG-lite aspect of Dungeon Explorer. You are right, DE has a nice balance between "Gauntlet clone" and ARPG. I always felt the pacing was nice, the power-ups were well-thought out, and the attribute system is simple, but is satisfying (beat a boss = rewarded with gem = increase an attribute). This last bit makes the boss battle far more interesting!

I finally got in an hour of pc-engine/turbo playing this weekend.  I mainly played Alien Crush.  After all these years I still suck at it but still love it.  It's one of those games you can always just pick up and play.

HELL YES. ALWAYS PIK-UPSKI-PLAY.

Played through the first 25 levels or so of Chew Man-Fu recently.  This was the very first time that I had ever played Chew Man-Fu, and I enjoyed it, although the whole pushing/pulling the ball around is a little tricky to learn - not difficult per se, just a little odd at first.

I haven't played this game in a billion years.
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #2176 on: March 22, 2013, 12:11:20 AM »
One more reason DE is a billion times better than Gauntlet is it has the most AMAZING music!

esteban

« Reply #2177 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »
One more reason DE is a billion times better than Gauntlet is it has the most AMAZING music!

IN. DU. BIT. ABLY.  
  |    | 

KingDrool

« Reply #2178 on: March 22, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »
Shit yes. The music in Dungeon Explorer might be my favorite Turbo soundtrack ever. So f*cking good.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Dyna138

« Reply #2179 on: March 22, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »
Started another playthrough of Neutopia recently. It's been a long time since I finished it and I thought I'd play it again and take my time exploring. I don't think I appreciated the game as much the first time through as I was mainly looking to complete it, now I'm just taking my time and enjoying it.

seieienbu

« Reply #2180 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
I'm hoping to beat Dragon Slayer this weekend.  I've had it for a month but have been having trouble finding time to play it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2181 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
I'm hoping to beat Dragon Slayer this weekend.  I've had it for a month but have been having trouble finding time to play it.

What little I played of it turned me off right away. Its just way way too basic to justify it even being a CD title. To top it off the voice acting was pretty bad.

galam

« Reply #2182 on: March 22, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

What little I played of it turned me off right away. Its just way way too basic to justify it even being a CD title. To top it off the voice acting was pretty bad.

Same here. I can't get into a RPG that doesn't even have some kind of spell animation.

esteban

« Reply #2183 on: March 23, 2013, 03:44:17 AM »
Started another playthrough of Neutopia recently. It's been a long time since I finished it and I thought I'd play it again and take my time exploring. I don't think I appreciated the game as much the first time through as I was mainly looking to complete it, now I'm just taking my time and enjoying it.

Heck yes, Dyna138. I recently replayed NES Zelda (advanced quest, too) and I had a great time because I just took my time. Such a great game.

I've been meaning to replay Neutopia while NES Zelda is fresh in my head, I want to compare them. Will I consider Neutopia an UPGRADE (as I have in the past) of NES Zelda? Or will I give NES more credit now, in 2013, since my original views of NES vs. TG-16 were formed in 1989 and I'm trying to make an objective comparison over 20 years later?

These are things I like to do when I have free time.

|    | 

Retro Nick

« Reply #2184 on: March 23, 2013, 04:29:49 AM »
Just completed Bonk's Adventure last night. Started Bonk's Revenge. What?! Limited continues?  #-o Oh well, I'll just have to work harder then.
Completed Dracula X with 100% before that.  :dance:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:31:24 AM by Retro Nick »

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #2185 on: March 23, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
Been going back to basics recently.  Been playing Splatterhouse, Bonk 1&2 and Ninja Spirit.  I really should buckle down and get to playing Military Madness.  I enjoy games like that.  I grew up with Desert Commander for the NES as a kid.

roflmao

« Reply #2186 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »
The mental scarring from Shape Shifter deleting all my saves is beginning to heal and I've re-embarked on Bomberman '93.  I don't remember the second boss this challenging last time.  Bomberman '93 is good fun all around.

seieienbu

« Reply #2187 on: March 23, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
I see you guys' points on Dragon Slayer but I guess it doesn't bother me that much.  I couldn't see my characters or spells in Dragon Warrior games either and I always loved those.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

RoyVegas

« Reply #2188 on: March 23, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
Soldier Blade.  Good times!
All is well. :)

galam

« Reply #2189 on: March 23, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »
I see you guys' points on Dragon Slayer but I guess it doesn't bother me that much.  I couldn't see my characters or spells in Dragon Warrior games either and I always loved those.

Good point, I love DW too. However, that was also a very primitive game in a lot of ways. Can't really compare the capabilities of an NES cart vs a CD game that was released a half a generation later. DS is by far a BAD game, just feels lazy.

Played Insanity, Monster Lair, motoroader, r type, and takin it to the hoop tonight
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:40:42 PM by galam »