Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91679 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2520 on: August 11, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
I've been playing Sinistron tonight, thanks to Majors.  Fun stuff!  If I'm not mistaken, there are infinite continues, so I'm taking a break so I don't beat it in one sitting. :)

I have a mental block/hang-up/whatever with the asteroid level.  I frequently choke and die at some point. I'm inconsistent and have yet to really figure out why I f*cking suck. I'm actually better at the stages that follow (even the last stage, I can beat it starting out with zero power ups. Not 100% all the time, mind you, I have to use continues and I still mess up).

Yeah, I'm still having a hard time with the lvl 3 boss, so haven't even made it to the asteroid level yet, but there's always tomorrow!

Ha! I remember getting this game (BITD) in the summer and sweating (no a/c, just fans) like a bastard getting through the game. Good times.
  |    | 

Bardoly

« Reply #2521 on: August 11, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
I played through and beat Future Boy Conan last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I played through and beat this game recently, and while I did get some enjoyment out of it, I must rate this game's as a below average '4-out-of-10'.  Even though the platforming is rather basic, it was still interesting for most of the game, one reason of which was because Conan's expressions are are quite humorous.  Were I to rate this game simply on its gameplay, I would give it a 5 or a 6, because level 5's water level is rather frustrating.  The reason that I had to knock off a point or 2 was because even though the in-game cinema screens are usually fun and interesting, the fact that they are unskippable really hurt the replay value, and it gets very frustrating when you die and must continue and you have to watch the same cinema screens every single time.  I would assume that if you are a fan of the anime series, then you would probably really enjoy this game, but if not, then this game may not be for you.  Again, this game is not bad, just below average.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2522 on: August 12, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
I played through and beat Future Boy Conan last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I played through and beat this game recently, and while I did get some enjoyment out of it, I must rate this game's as a below average '4-out-of-10'.  Even though the platforming is rather basic, it was still interesting for most of the game, one reason of which was because Conan's expressions are are quite humorous.  Were I to rate this game simply on its gameplay, I would give it a 5 or a 6, because level 5's water level is rather frustrating.  The reason that I had to knock off a point or 2 was because even though the in-game cinema screens are usually fun and interesting, the fact that they are unskippable really hurt the replay value, and it gets very frustrating when you die and must continue and you have to watch the same cinema screens every single time.  I would assume that if you are a fan of the anime series, then you would probably really enjoy this game, but if not, then this game may not be for you.  Again, this game is not bad, just below average.

I like this game and am not a fan of the anime.  I admit it's an average platformer.  but i had fun playing through it.  It has it;s annoying moments and slippery controls but all in all I found it charming and pretty fun.   I've payed through it twice now and find it a fun distraction in between more serious bouts of shooters.  All in all a fair assessment, but I would suggest everyone at least try it.  No moon language knowledge is needed and you'll prob. enjoy it even if you never play it again. plus it can be had for a reasonable price.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Bardoly

« Reply #2523 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »

I like this game and am not a fan of the anime.  I admit it's an average platformer.  but i had fun playing through it.  It has it;s annoying moments and slippery controls but all in all I found it charming and pretty fun.   I've payed through it twice now and find it a fun distraction in between more serious bouts of shooters.  All in all a fair assessment, but I would suggest everyone at least try it.  No moon language knowledge is needed and you'll prob. enjoy it even if you never play it again. plus it can be had for a reasonable price.

Yes, I agree that the game is enjoyable and cute, and it is worth a playthrough, especially since it's not pricey.  Had I rated it on a three-point scale, I would have given it a '2' for average.

RoyVegas

« Reply #2524 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
This might be a big surprise, I played more Raiden last night.  Why oh why can't the ship just be a tiny bit faster?!?!
All is well. :)

CPTRAVE

« Reply #2525 on: August 12, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
I have been playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator, this game is actually pretty good. I was watching a review on Youtube which they gave it a terrible review, but I totally disagree. This game is really fun  :P

esteban

« Reply #2526 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »
I have been playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator, this game is actually pretty good. I was watching a review on Youtube which they gave it a terrible review, but I totally disagree. This game is really fun  :P

Agreed. I have championed many unloved games and Veigues is one of them. I may be wrong, but Veigues hasn't really been mentioned too often in the last few years...otherwise I would have Necro-Copy-Paste, Necro-Self-Quote or Necro-Link something (I recycle digital trash, you see).

UPDATE: Oh, no. I'm getting the urge to Necro-Copy-Paste....

This might be a big surprise, I played more Raiden last night.  Why oh why can't the ship just be a tiny bit faster?!?!

It's funny, but had they made the ship a little bit faster (but increased the speed of enemies/projectiles, too), I think it would make Raiden more palatable...but it wouldn't really make a difference (or would it?).

I'm not goofing on this...I've wondered about the relativity of different components of a game...would the Raiden I described above still feel leggy and a bit sluggish? I think so...but, maybe it would still be an improvement to have a faster base speed...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:47:31 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #2527 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Veigues is definitely a polarizing game.  I had a friend bitd that swore by it's awesomeness and no matter how many times I borrowed it from it, I could get into it.  However, I'd love to give it another go now that I'm older. :)

esteban

« Reply #2528 on: August 12, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
Veigues is definitely a polarizing game.  I had a friend bitd that swore by it's awesomeness and no matter how many times I borrowed it from it, I could get into it.  However, I'd love to give it another go now that I'm older. :)

It's not a stellar game, but it has a it's moments and is not nearly as generic/lame/boring as many games out there in the cosmos...

THE URGE, THE URGE...
  |    | 

Issun

« Reply #2529 on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
Just completed Popful Mail again. Yay!

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #2530 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
Am I the only one disappointed with PCE Outrun?  It's definitely a step up from the SMS version, but all things considered, the MD port definitely outdoes the PCE version.  So much flicker!

It's still plenty fun, but sadly, it's definitely the weakest of the NEC Ave super-scaler ports I've played (although I've yet to try Power Drift or Space Harrier).
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Nando

« Reply #2531 on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
Playing some Bazaru de Gozaru with my sons.  It's really fun!

Such a whimsical game!

Bardoly

« Reply #2532 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
I played through and beat Final Soldier last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I have to rate this awesome vertical shoot-'em-up as a '9 out of 10'.
I recently played through and beat this game, and really enjoyed it.  I had only played the game for 2 minutes before, and I decided to really play it, so I sat down, picked my weapon options, and played through the first 4 levels without dying even once!  I only died 1 time in level 5, but levels 6 and 7 were killers!
I REALLY enjoy the power-ups being tied to your 'hit points', in that you don't die from being hit, you just lose a level of your weapons power, and then if your weapons power has been reduced to the lowest level, then the next damage you take will kill you.  Overall, this makes the game a little easier and fun, unlike some games where when you are fully powered up, your ship is awesome, but one hit, and you are back down to a wimpy pea-shooter.  Also, for this game you may choose your types of weapons at the beginning of the game.  (i.e. wide-spread but short-range flamethrower which constantly fires or slower-shooting more powerful fire shot with slow diagonal shots, or one other fire option.  You get 3 different styles of lasers, 3 different styles of energy bubble shots, 3 different styles of fire shots, and your base vulcan, so you have 27 different weapons configurations with which to play through the game with!  If this game were 2-player simultaneous, then it would definitely be a '10 out of 10'.

MrPoppy

« Reply #2533 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
Just picked up Galaga '90 and Ys IV. Galaga has long been a favorite of mine and I'm pumped to play it again. Never played Ys IV, am even more pumped to get that translation patch and try it out!
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #2534 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
I got my Duo back from Kieth and have been playing Solider Blade and GOT.  I now understand why many people say Solider Blade is the best shooter on HuCard.  As for GOT holy crap!!!  That game is amazing!!!!