Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91600 times)

ctophil

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2940 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
I'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty. 

I seem to recall The Adams Family was pretty easy to beat in one life. However, if I died and lost my power ups I might as well just restart the game.

Power ups?  Easy?  Are you sure you got the right Addams Family game?  Hehe.  Well, your weapon is an umbrella that shoots pellets or something.  You don't get any upgrades to it.  Occasionally, you pick up a fencing sword, that's about it.  You get like 4 lives.  If you use it all up, the game starts ALL the way over.  There are no continues.  The basement level I just got to has many chasms, rotating blades, and enemies that fly like bats (wavy pattern, i.e. from Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden) to knock you around.  There are bats at the beginning of the game.  You can die from them alone.  It's quite hard to me.  I had one life left.  So I fell into one of the holes, and it's game over for me. 

But as any game, you can memorize the enemy patterns and practice makes perfect. 

clackattack

« Reply #2941 on: August 12, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
Was playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 before I put my TG16 under the knife... Once I get her back from Turbokon, ill probally put it on the backburner and start up Ys IV
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

vexcollects

« Reply #2942 on: August 12, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
GOMOLA SPEED! Really great diamond in the rough. Only heard about this game in someone's "best of" PC Engine list. Bought it for close to nothing too. What a great game. Fantastic music too.

jordan_hillman

« Reply #2943 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
My buddies and I have been playing a metric shit ton of Devil's Crush lately. Trying to break the 100,000,000 barrier with no luck so far   ](*,)
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

munchiaz

« Reply #2944 on: August 13, 2014, 07:21:12 AM »
wrong thread  #-o
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:57:21 AM by munchiaz »

synbiosfan

« Reply #2945 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
According to my save state, I've completed Y's Book I.

This took a while because in the middle, I shipped my Duo-R off to turbokon :P

I'll take a dinner break then jump back into Book II.

csgx1

« Reply #2946 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
Played Star Parodier for the first time.  Seems way too easy as I was able to 1cc on the first play through. 

I like the music and the graphics are nice and colorful.  Pretty cool how you can play as a PC Engine console with PCE controllers as rotating shields.  Having other characters to choose from does give more replay value.

I'll have to figure out how to crank up the difficulty and give it another play through.   

Mishran

« Reply #2947 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »
Been playing Atlantean as well. Gotten past the first boss and shit hits the fan. I've always loved, but sucked at, Defender. Had the game stutter on me a few times when a number of enemies were on screen at once and cost me a few lives so far. No complaints though. :dance:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2948 on: August 14, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »
Post up a score in the high score thread, mishran!  I need some competition.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mishran

« Reply #2949 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:16 AM »
Soon as I get better at the game, I'll do that Necro.

reno5

« Reply #2950 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
I'm playing Future boy Conan. Nice little platformer. Also watching the animated series on my lunch break at work. It's a very nice serie :)

technozombie

« Reply #2951 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »
Finally beat Dawn of Ys today. Having now played Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys I can say that the PCE has the best iteration of Ys IV. MotS was much shorter for me at around 10hrs and around 17hrs for DoYs. DoYs was much more dynamic, better boss fights and better use of magic. DoYs did a better job of making the world feel connected, where MotS felt like a warp-fest.

NightWolve

« Reply #2952 on: August 14, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »
Finally beat Dawn of Ys today. Having now played Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys I can say that the PCE has the best iteration of Ys IV.

Good, good techno... That's the right answer, well, if ya know what's good for ya 'round here... ;)

technozombie

« Reply #2953 on: August 14, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
Finally beat Dawn of Ys today. Having now played Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys I can say that the PCE has the best iteration of Ys IV.

Good, good techno... That's the right answer, well, if ya know what's good for ya 'round here... ;)

Only one real problem, the translation.....it was kind of.......  :-#

:lol:

NightWolve

« Reply #2954 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »

Only one real problem, the translation.....it was kind of.......  :-#
 :lol:

It's alright, you can be honest with me. :) I know, it is kind of boring, dry, it lacks spirit, etc. Turns out that the criminal that I used to work with (AKA B.J.DeuceBag) never retranslated it and Shimarisu/Rachel's translation work remained (94%) for the script. The problem with her is she was a militant purist when it came to translating and would produce very literal translations, sometimes so bad that it was too hard to edit it into SVO English style like it's supposed to be.

In 2009 as DeuceBag was conspiring with Lipschultz and his programmer behind my back, to my face he was talking about finally redoing the Ys IV script, just like he redid the script with Gideon Zhi for Mask of the Sun (Shimarisu was also the first translator for that). Well, things having worked out the way they did, me learning what he was up to, cheating me when it came to the X.X.XSEED commercializing deals, we be won't be working with each other again to say the least... If I had the financial resources and will power, I already would've filed the lawsuits to bring the bastard to justice, so yeah, things are very far from any old plans that were talked about...

I offered the Ys IV script to SamIAm for retranslation, but he's not shown interest. After all, since it's already translated and competently enough, there's less motivation to work on something that's already done. I also offered esteban a shot at just rewriting the English to make it more fun, enjoyable, etc., but he never took me up on it... So nobody has come forward to either retranslate it from scratch or rewrite it Working Designs style...

When I started fan translation work I always hoped I could get Working Designs type results in the final product, but I never met anyone that could do that or was willing. DeuceBag actually has the same kind of hate for WD as did Shimarisu. It was personal for Shimarisu, she learned to translate Japanese because she was in Victor Ireland's chatroom when he snapped one day at the complainers and told them if they don't like his translation work to go learn Japanese and translate themselves. Well, Shimarisu says she was somebody that "rose to the challenge" and learned Japanese to "teach him a lesson." As you can imagine, she went in the complete opposite direction in translation style as Victor and in a petty fashion was cheering when WD shutdown!

I've talked about this before, you might've run into a post of mine here about it, but yeah... Anyway, so yeah, nobody has ever come to me to redo the script and I'm certainly willing!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:42:36 PM by NightWolve »