Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91738 times)

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3510 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Made it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

There's no question the music is best in the TG-CD version (even better than the arcade, really), but it's a toss up for graphics between the Genny and TG.  The Genny has parallax scrolling in every level, sharper edging and better sprites for the main character (there's animated flight in the Genny and just a static sprite in the TG-CD).  The TG has naturally better colors, animates smoother, and generally has bigger, better-looking bosses.  I guess the main takeaway is that it's a good time whatever version you're playing!

The MegaDrive sprites are redrawn, which is not a problem (many home ports/conversions redrew sprites), except the MegaDrive sprites aren't nearly as cute as the arcade original.

Thus, TG-CD version is superior to MegaDrive.

Sure, it would be icing on the cake to have parallax scrolling in  the TG-CD version, but the aesthetics of TG-CD are significantly better.

Le Reference:
http://tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Monster_Lair

:)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:39:36 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

seieienbu

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3511 on: October 06, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
Been playing Neutopia for the first time in 20 years.  Game is as I remember it; pretty good at being Zelda 1.  I made it to the Subterranean Sphere last night.  Here's hoping I can finish up next time I get the opportunity to play some games.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

grolt

« Reply #3512 on: October 06, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
Sharper edging? What does that mean?

My man esteban kind of articulated it for me in his response, but the re-drawn sprites for the Genny version have darker and finer edges (and more contrast) that stand out a little better when seen on a CRT.  The Turbo version, while arcade accurate, seems a little "softer" by comparison.

just a static sprite in the TG-CD

Le wut?  It's more subtle than in the Genny version, but the dragon flaps his wings and wiggles his tail.

As a Canadian I appreciate this attempt to appeal to my bilingual sensibilities.  Looking back at it I can see there is a slight wiggle to the tail and wings, so my mistake, but the Genesis version has a much more elaborate animation for the wings, tail and feet.  Same with the hero sprite on top of the dragon, he's moving more than just the sword in the Genny version. Make no mistake, je t'aime les deux jeux.

Made it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

There's no question the music is best in the TG-CD version (even better than the arcade, really), but it's a toss up for graphics between the Genny and TG.  The Genny has parallax scrolling in every level, sharper edging and better sprites for the main character (there's animated flight in the Genny and just a static sprite in the TG-CD).  The TG has naturally better colors, animates smoother, and generally has bigger, better-looking bosses.  I guess the main takeaway is that it's a good time whatever version you're playing!

The MegaDrive sprites are redrawn, which is not a problem (many home ports/conversions redrew sprites), except the MegaDrive sprites aren't nearly as cute as the arcade original.

Thus, TG-CD version is superior to MegaDrive.

Sure, it would be icing on the cake to have parallax scrolling in  the TG-CD version, but the aesthetics of TG-CD are significantly better.

Le Reference:
http://tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Monster_Lair

Thanks for clarifying and for the great link - seeing all the screens side by side makes it much easier to compare.  I prefer the re-drawn sprites half of the time in the Genny version, but when you're looking at the bosses there's no question the TG-CD version is far superior.  If we're talking arcade perfect though, Turbo does what Genedon't.
I'm a notorious strange man.

SplatterTrigger

« Reply #3513 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
I just gave Monster Lair another go myself.

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3514 on: October 07, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »
@grolt: yes, I understand if you prefer the redrawn graphics for MegaDrive Monster Lair. I was more compassionate on the page I linked to, when I said that the redrawn art is "very fitting for the Wonderboy universe."

Also, I agree that the MegaDrive art has a stronger palette of colors (and more contrast) than the arcade (the most "washed-out" colors/contrast) and TG-CD (higher contrast version of arcade, but still close to arcade).

|    | 

shawnji

« Reply #3515 on: October 07, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
Finally beat The Dynastic Hero the other day.  Enjoyed that for what it was, but I've never been huge on that series of games.  I do want to play Monster World 4 at some point, though.

I also, just this evening, blazed through my new English copy of Ys III over the course of three hours and some change.  It's a ton of fun, but man is that acting bad...  Still, I'm very glad I own it.

I started up my (also just purchased) English copy of Ys I&II immediately after that and quit around the middle of the mines in book one so I could prep for bed.  I'm sure I'll probably finish it tomorrow night after work.  I'm actually debating trying to learn to speed run it, but I worry about the final fight of book two.

lukester

« Reply #3516 on: October 07, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »
Dynastic Hero is good, but is definitely a disappointment compared to the original.

shawnji

« Reply #3517 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:15 AM »
Dynastic Hero is good, but is definitely a disappointment compared to the original.

I'm probably weird in that I prefer it simply on the merit of the CD audio.  The insect theme is a little goofy, though.

grendelrt

« Reply #3518 on: October 15, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
I tried out Mr Heli for the first time. Pretty cool little title, second boss smushed me a couple times though :(

EmperorIng

« Reply #3519 on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »

The color swaps and sprite changes are the most tragic things about the PC Engine Wonder Boy titles. At least Monster Lair made it through unscathed and the damage to Adventure Island is minimal.

Monster World IV is a touch easier than Wonder Boy in Monster World, and has less of an open world, but it does exude that charm and quality of late-era MD games. It was a very satisfying experience (only a hair less so than WB in Monster World).

I've nearly beaten Adventure Island myself (only the final dungeon remains). I think it's a shame that the game has so much armor and weapons packed so close to one another - you buy one set and its obsolete maybe 10 minutes later. Spending an astronomical 9000+ gold on the crystal armor is questionable when by the time you can buy it, the Legendary Armor is available, for free, by revisiting the first dungeon.

I did have to consult a FAQ a few times in order to discover that one set of armor makes you immune to lava and that the lucky sword increases the rate of money/charmstone drops.

EDIT:

Having beaten the game, here are some general notes:

While the different forms' abilities are neat, their impact is lessened somewhat by how the game prevents easier switching between them. The mouse can only go to the jungle, the tiger through the caves, etc. If you could change them more often they would feel a bit more fleshed out other than cute sprite-swap keys. The Lizard Man is next to worthless after getting the Mouse Man.

Potions are maddeningly inconsistent. They either heal some, all, or one heart of your health. There's no way to tell. Since they don't carry over saves, you have to grind money to buy them again and again. Or still make the long trek to the only shop that sells them.

The final boss's erratic patterns are a real pain. Stunlocking you across the entire room is unfair, given his random movement patterns. The worst though is combining the boss's high difficulty with the random nature of potions. The two together have made for a very un-fun experience.

All in all, the game was good. I am trying out Monster Land / Bikkuriman now, and it's certainly different (I'm not a fan of the one-life-or-nothing set up). Adventure Island was fun, but the succeeding Monster World games are just much more enjoyable experiences.

I also picked up Mr. Heli and Metal Stoker for my fix of neo hardboiled shooting. Metal Stoker is surprising in its quality - it's a very good game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:11:13 PM by EmperorIng »

roflmao

« Reply #3520 on: October 17, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »
I've been on a homebrew kick lately. Playing lots of Insanity and Pyramid Plunder.

Punch

« Reply #3521 on: October 17, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
Was playing Legendary Axe, finally beat the damn thing, but will probably play more tomorrow in search of a 1cc clear. I'm not happy with my final score:

IvanBeavkov

« Reply #3522 on: October 24, 2015, 05:04:06 AM »
Was playing Legendary Axe, finally beat the damn thing, but will probably play more tomorrow in search of a 1cc clear. I'm not happy with my final score:

Punch, congratulations on beating Legendary Axe. That was the first Turbo game I ever beat. Back in the day I could beat it any time I sat down to play it but I never could 1cc it. Good luck on your goal.

As for what I have been playing, life finally got out of the way for a bit and I could sit down to play some Cadash (thanks jordan  :) ). I forgot how easy the game was, haven't played it since the early 90s. After getting a couple levels from repeatedly killing the first enemy I flew through the game till I got to the fire/zombie village. Where I finally died on a spinning fire stick. I''l blame that on it being late and I was tired  :wink:. Great game, I can't wait to try again.

Gredler

« Reply #3523 on: October 24, 2015, 07:58:48 AM »
I've been playing TV Sports Hockey. It's the bee's knees, I suggest giving it a chance. If you want it to be easy, to learn the game, play as Norway vs Czech.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:00:23 AM by Gredler »

johnnykonami

« Reply #3524 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »

Punch, congratulations on beating Legendary Axe. That was the first Turbo game I ever beat. Back in the day I could beat it any time I sat down to play it but I never could 1cc it. Good luck on your goal.

As for what I have been playing, life finally got out of the way for a bit and I could sit down to play some Cadash (thanks jordan  :) ). I forgot how easy the game was, haven't played it since the early 90s. After getting a couple levels from repeatedly killing the first enemy I flew through the game till I got to the fire/zombie village. Where I finally died on a spinning fire stick. I''l blame that on it being late and I was tired  :wink:. Great game, I can't wait to try again.

I miss my Cadash, I can't believe I let that one go.  Great game, I originally fell in love with the arcade version - and of course the Turbo has the best port.  Gotta pick it up again one day.