Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91703 times)

GoldenWheels

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3675 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
Played some Avenger last night....played it WAY longer than I intended too!

I like the damn game. Nothing special...but the soundtrack. I dig it. And I am starved for shootemups.

I'll tell you what....I'd even go so far as to say I REALLY like it  8) . Great tunes, I like the selectable power ups (I'm a rockets/missle man, but I also haven't gotten past level 6, sooo....), and I kinda like the unique way your ship fires slightly left or right as you move. I picked up a ton of shooters after Christmas (thanks to eBay gift cards and some guy apparently cleaning out his collection at a fortuitous time) and Avenger is one of my favs so far.

On the "not favs" list": Power Gate! Eww. Just eww. I found redeeming qualities even in P-47, but not Power Gate.

Been playing Bikkuriman World lately, pretty fun, though I admit I pretty much suck at it. I went for a walkthrough once I realized how much time I was wasting buying power ups which I had no idea the purpose of.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:40:56 AM by GoldenWheels »

esteban

« Reply #3676 on: January 18, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »

Played some Avenger last night....played it WAY longer than I intended too!

I like the damn game. Nothing special...but the soundtrack. I dig it. And I am starved for shootemups.

I'll tell you what....I'd even go so far as to say I REALLY like it  8) . Great tunes, I like the selectable power ups (I'm a rockets/missle man, but I also haven't gotten past level 6, sooo....), and I kinda like the unique way your ship fires slightly left or right as you move. I picked up a ton of shooters after Christmas (thanks to eBay gift cards and some guy apparently cleaning out his collection at a fortuitous time) and Avenger is one of my favs so far.

On the "not favs" list": Power Gate! Eww. Just eww. I found redeeming qualities even in P-47, but not Power Gate.

Been playing Bikkuriman World lately, pretty fun, though I admit I pretty much suck at it. I went for a walkthrough once I realized how much time I was wasting buying power ups which I had no idea the purpose of.

Yes, I like the unique way your bullet stream leans left/right. 

There is a game like Power Gate, but better, IMHO: Hawk F-123.

It is NOT a great game...kinda more akin to a budget game...but for some reason I find it slightly charming.

Plus, I thought it would be really easy and I found it challenging.

Some occasionally inspired tunes. OK, maybe one one slightly interesting tune.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because you are crazy like me and tried to find something good in Power Gate. That's why.

You are a desperate masochist for shootemups.

:)
  |    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #3677 on: January 18, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
It was watching videos of Avenger that I realized how many shooter games with helicopters do that "lean left to right" gimmick: Gyrodine, Thunder Dragon, Under Defeat... It must be like a rule if you make a heli shmup.  :wink:

OT: Playing Super Raiden and Xevious Fardraut Densetsu. Xevious FD surprised me with how good it is, but I don't know if having stages that are longer than some entire shmups is good for repeat play.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3678 on: January 19, 2016, 01:36:35 AM »

Yes, I like the unique way your bullet stream leans left/right. 

There is a game like Power Gate, but better, IMHO: Hawk F-123.

It is NOT a great game...kinda more akin to a budget game...but for some reason I find it slightly charming.

Plus, I thought it would be really easy and I found it challenging.

Some occasionally inspired tunes. OK, maybe one one slightly interesting tune.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because you are crazy like me and tried to find something good in Power Gate. That's why.

You are a desperate masochist for shootemups.

:)

Ha! Hawk-123  is one I don't have, and I have a SHIT TON of shooterto put some time into before I go looking again, but I'll keep it in mind. Shootemups is why I  finally branched out from Turbo into PC Engine (though there are some good PCE action games too for sure).

I tried playing 'Legion' for the first time last night....I started it kinda late and can't say I gave it much time, but my early impressions were not good. Hell I had lost three ships before the freaking voiceover had even stopped in level 1. Man that is distracting.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3679 on: January 19, 2016, 02:27:37 AM »
Legion is usually ranked as one of the worst shooters on the system, so I don't think you're missing much (outside of the cheesy voice-over) if you skip it.

Also, Hawk F-123 is just Power Gate with redbook audio. I would imagine if you don't like Power Gate, Hawk F-123 is not going to change your mind!

I was playing Hana Taaka Daka last night. I feel a bit middling about the game. Lovely graphics, but stages are paced slowly, your hitbox becomes comically large, and I am not a fan of games where you can't use autofire because of an over-emphasized charge shot. There are some neat weapons and ideas (particularly love the flying castle stage), but it gets sore on the thumb to constantly be holding down to charge shots because larger enemies are too tough otherwise.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3680 on: January 19, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
Legion is usually ranked as one of the worst shooters on the system, so I don't think you're missing much (outside of the cheesy voice-over) if you skip it.

Also, Hawk F-123 is just Power Gate with redbook audio. I would imagine if you don't like Power Gate, Hawk F-123 is not going to change your mind!

I was playing Hana Taaka Daka last night. I feel a bit middling about the game. Lovely graphics, but stages are paced slowly, your hitbox becomes comically large, and I am not a fan of games where you can't use autofire because of an over-emphasized charge shot. There are some neat weapons and ideas (particularly love the flying castle stage), but it gets sore on the thumb to constantly be holding down to charge shots because larger enemies are too tough otherwise.

The Legion voice over in level one alone was cracking me up. That is some high melodrama acting for a shooter game.

Will keep that in mind on Hawk.

I agree 100% on charge shot games (over emphasized or not). I'm an auto fire man--I mean fer crissakes it's built into the controller. I play R-type (somewhat poorly, I will admit) with no charge shots. Luckily (?) Hana Taaka Daka looks to be out of my price range anyway.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3681 on: January 19, 2016, 03:32:40 AM »
It was watching videos of Avenger that I realized how many shooter games with helicopters do that "lean left to right" gimmick: Gyrodine, Thunder Dragon, Under Defeat... It must be like a rule if you make a heli shmup.  :wink:

OT: Playing Super Raiden and Xevious Fardraut Densetsu. Xevious FD surprised me with how good it is, but I don't know if having stages that are longer than some entire shmups is good for repeat play.

I think Tiger Heli breaks the rule!  :D

ginoscope

« Reply #3682 on: January 19, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »
I been playing Valis II and I need some tips for stage 5.  This stage is frustrating me with those annoying spike balls.

I made it as far as the mid boss lizard with the sword.  My energy was so low I didn't last long against him.

Any tips?

esteban

« Reply #3683 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

The Legion voice over in level one alone was cracking me up. That is some high melodrama acting for a shooter game.

Will keep that in mind on Hawk.

I agree 100% on charge shot games (over emphasized or not). I'm an auto fire man--I mean fer crissakes it's built into the controller. I play R-type (somewhat poorly, I will admit) with no charge shots. Luckily (?) Hana Taaka Daka looks to be out of my price range anyway.

Damn it, Emperor ruined Hawk F-123 for you. Of course, what I did (deceptively promote Hawk F-123) could be considered cruel...so maybe he did the right thing.

Maybe.

LEGION: OK, I still haven't really played this game much. Someone (cccovell?) once explained that although Legion gets a bad reputation, it is a fundamentally misunderstood game. Kinda like how Deep Blue, another grossly misunderstood game, requires a non-standard strategy/philosophy (i.e., don't try to kill everything).

I don't know. I still haven't given Deep Blue (yet) another chance to win me over. I doubt I'll be playing Legion this week to give it another chance, either.

We shall see.

|    | 

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3684 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:08 PM »
I'm gonna watch out for you Esteban!  :-k

I tried Legion again last night, I was determined to give it a shot....this game is so MOTHER&$%#&#( cheap, on level one!!!!! I'll try to adapt my style but...damn! CHEAP!

esteban

« Reply #3685 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »

I'm gonna watch out for you Esteban!  :-k

I tried Legion again last night, I was determined to give it a shot....this game is so MOTHER&$%#&#( cheap, on level one!!!!! I'll try to adapt my style but...damn! CHEAP!

It's a "dodge-em-up"...
  |    | 

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3686 on: January 25, 2016, 02:22:21 AM »
Jeez how long is Avenger? I was mistaken, I had not gotten to level 6. I have JUST gotten to the end of level 5 last night...and (without using cheats) it looks like there are at least two upgrade slots left. So at least two more levels?

BTW, just for the f*ck of it I tried playing Final Lap Twin last night with a PS2 racing wheel, run through a PS2 to Turbografx converter, that I then ran into a Turbob to PC engine converter cable, and finally into my Duo.

It actually sort of worked, except the pedals. Can't get them to work (which kind of kills it). And oh yeah, you have to turn the wheel like a MADMAN to get ANY response. Maybe I'll try another wheel tonight, I have three. The operative element seems to actually be beer--because at the time this seemed like a good idea.

Warbucks

« Reply #3687 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:45 AM »
Playing some Bloody Wolf

martinine

« Reply #3688 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
Finally finished Cosmic Fantasy 2 during Winter Storm Jonas. Luckily no power outages. I played about mid-way through and accidentally started a new game (back last May), which (bad design) erases all old saves. Having turbo on the buttons while choosing didn't help. It jus blew through the "Are you sure?" Screen.

Overall, there are some things I found terribly tedious, and I love old JRPGs. For instance, I've played through Dragon Warrior twice in 2015. But, my judgement may be clouded by the fact I had to restart.

So for what it's worth, I think Y's Book 1 & 2, did amazing work at the same time this was released. CF2 has some good moments, there are just some slow parts in between. I blame Victor Ireland. I bet the Japanese version leveled more quickly or something. That being said, at the time of release, CF2 was amazing, and I remember being so stoked to play it. Maybe 20 years of waiting built me up for a fall, but I think the game is mediocre. The menu system drives me nuts. Graphics are impressive. Story is average, but not bad. Music overall is fantastic, but the fight music is grating. Thoughts?
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

chemdream

« Reply #3689 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:50 AM »
I've been addicted to Bomberman '94 lately. The music is constantly stuck in my head now.
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS