Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91655 times)

Gypsy

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3825 on: June 30, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
Fired up the CDROM2 today. Blasted through Shubibinman 3 to make myself feel good, then to make myself feel really bad I put in Nexzr. Stopped playing after some Cho Aniki which I hadn't played in a fair bit. Instantly remembered how fun that one is.

Groover

« Reply #3826 on: July 03, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
I recently picked up Lords of Thunder. I have been playing this. I have played my friends copy and remeber it well back in the day being marketted as the power house showing the strenght of the TurboDuo.  I had the TurboForce magazine but it got destroyed in my trunk in College. I picked up another copy and will be more carful with it. I was happy that I beat the first level first playthrough. I am not good at this genre but I am really enjoying them and hope to get better with practice.

Gypsy

« Reply #3827 on: July 06, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
Lords isn't too difficult you should be able to beat it with modest skills.

I was jamming some Spriggan early this morning. I really like the way the power-up system works.

nopepper

« Reply #3828 on: July 07, 2016, 03:31:58 AM »
Ok, I really need to become a better person to be able to play Image Fight II, so I moved on to The Lost Sunheart, a game I briefly tried about a year ago before dismissing as too weird and ugly.

Well, it's still weird, but this is actually a great game. It has a satisfying difficulty curve, lots of intense moments and a very peculiar rhythm, with waves of enemies coming at you in oscillating patterns that seem to move in sync with the music. And although the graphics are definitely not pretty, they have character and present a very realized world.

The whole game comes across as a confident realization of some designer's drug induced vision that somehow managed to make it into a fun video game. It's games like these that make me love the PC Engine!

(PS- Managed to 1 CC it this past weekend, but I did use the 1Up trick against the floating head to max out to 9 lives).

(PSX - Has anybody translated the story in the adventure mode? WTF is going on?!?)

esteban

« Reply #3829 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:19 AM »
Ok, I really need to become a better person to be able to play Image Fight II, so I moved on to The Lost Sunheart, a game I briefly tried about a year ago before dismissing as too weird and ugly.

Well, it's still weird, but this is actually a great game. It has a satisfying difficulty curve, lots of intense moments and a very peculiar rhythm, with waves of enemies coming at you in oscillating patterns that seem to move in sync with the music. And although the graphics are definitely not pretty, they have character and present a very realized world.

The whole game comes across as a confident realization of some designer's drug induced vision that somehow managed to make it into a fun video game. It's games like these that make me love the PC Engine!

(PS- Managed to 1 CC it this past weekend, but I did use the 1Up trick against the floating head to max out to 9 lives).

(PSX - Has anybody translated the story in the adventure mode? WTF is going on?!?)

All I can say is...

|    | 

nopepper

« Reply #3830 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:08 AM »

Yes, the soundtrack to Sylphia is quite nice :)

I concur, it could have been a much stronger, memorable challenge.

Still, it was enjoyable. :)

Sure, it was enjoyable, but not a game I'd rush out to buy, even at its original retail price and taking out its current going rate from the equation.

Being an easy game doesn't necessarily make it mediocre (I LOVE Thunder Force 3, for example), it's more that some of the patterns were not elegantly implemented, making it come across as sloppy. The battle of attrition boss battles being the worst offenders of this sloppiness. It really is too bad, since the atmosphere is fantastic, with those cool stage intros and the aforementioned music.

nopepper

« Reply #3831 on: July 07, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »

All I can say is...

That's awesome.

Here's my random Lost Sunheart pic:

Gypsy

« Reply #3832 on: July 07, 2016, 04:36:36 AM »
Well, no CD games for me for awhile as I sent my system to Keith. Still got these hus to tide me over though. I think I'm feeling some Bonk 3 tonight.

Bonknuts

« Reply #3833 on: July 07, 2016, 05:03:01 AM »
All I can say is...

Is that editable?

Bonknuts

« Reply #3834 on: July 07, 2016, 05:05:11 AM »
My son has played through the PC remakes of Ys I & II (way too many times), and the DS version (cringe), and now.... he's playing through the TGCD version. Kinda nice to sit back and watch the playthrough.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #3835 on: July 07, 2016, 06:12:48 AM »
I broke out Operation Wolf again, which is pretty fun for a game that really needs a gun to be at it's best. It's certainly better than the NES version.

NightWolve

« Reply #3836 on: July 07, 2016, 06:31:09 AM »
My son has played through the PC remakes of Ys I & II (way too many times), and the DS version (cringe), and now.... he's playing through the TGCD version. Kinda nice to sit back and watch the playthrough.

:)

I remember first falling in love with them as well - Stephen Harris before joining the crew of RPGFAN.com, lemme download his Limited Edition copy from the FTP he ran. Sounds like your son's played them more times than I have though. ;)

esteban

« Reply #3837 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
All I can say is...

Is that editable?

Sadly, no. :(

SUGAR CRYSTALS > salt crystals
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #3838 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:53 AM »
Anybody know anything about Ys V? It seems pretty cool but only the "Easy" version is translated.

Eh, I'm not impressed with it, but it is another great technical accomplishment for Gideon Zhi to have finished hacking it after being stuck on it for so many years! I'm not keen on ever playing it though given the XSEED criminal who served as the translator (NeoGeo's one-and-only cock-flasher), so that's a bit of a sticking point for me.

As for "Easy" version, you're referring to the fact that there's another copy of the game with the "Expert" subtitle that changed the difficulty and the patch wasn't advanced to also apply to it. I guess it's not much of a priority to Gideon having finally gotten the patch out at least for the main one.

An aside, I actually gave up in the middle of "Ys IV: Mask of the Sun" [SNES] - I got a bit stuck, quit for a while, but when I returned again to figure it out, I realized how bored I had gotten with it and just didn't care anymore to beat it for the sake of beating it... It's weird, I loved my SNES growing up, but the 2 Ys titles for it don't have any special hold/appreciation on me like the PC Engine/TG-16 and the Windows PC titles. "Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys" is the superior version in every way even if Falcom marked "Mask of the Sun" as canon (which only a few Ys geeks know and care about in evaluating between the two).

Not quite Turbo related, but I did just beat Ys V.

Pretty decent game though the bosses were disappointing. The soundtrack was too orchestral for my taste. It took me about 6 hours or so, and I didn't die too much. It's a shame that the in-depth magic/alchemy system was pretty much worthless. The only retro Ys I need to play still is Ys IV.

crazydean

« Reply #3839 on: July 19, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »

This game was a big reason I bought the PCE. It was also the first game I beat on the system.

On another note, I finally got around to beating Neutopia. I started drinking and beat the last 3 dungeons in one sitting. Unfortunately, I was quite drunk by the time I got to the boss in the 8th dungeon and couldn't beat him. Anyway, a couple days later I went back and beat the final two bosses, easy.

Thinking about starting Dragon's Curse next. Either that or Ys IV.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.