Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91670 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4065 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
Blazing Lasers suffers from the "don't lose the powerups" syndrome most shooters have, especially on the last level boss rush lol.

Many folks believe this, but I know, from experience, that you can have only a pea shooter and still beat last stage grabbing the handful of power ups that trickle your way.

SECRET: you might have boost your speed (max) and strategically take out certain  enemies that cause you trouble. Max speed lets you instantly swing back left/right as needed (pattern of enemy attacks).

|    | 

crazydean

« Reply #4066 on: April 24, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
I have given up on Blazing Lazers. I get to the boss rush and that's the best I can do. So frustrating because it takes like 45 min to get there just to lose halfway through the final level.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

gex

« Reply #4067 on: April 24, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
Great fun until you die and lose your power ups, then for me it's frustrating as hell.

Always been my thoughts about the game too

Mathius

« Reply #4068 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
BL was the first Turbo game I ever cleared.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4069 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »
Daisenpu Custom

Pretty cool, I like the power up idea where you bring up a squadron of fighters who add to your firepower but also can get picked off. Thank goodness it's friendly with the continues.

esteban

« Reply #4070 on: April 25, 2017, 02:17:50 AM »
Daisenpu Custom

Pretty cool, I like the power up idea where you bring up a squadron of fighters who add to your firepower but also can get picked off. Thank goodness it's friendly with the continues.

A solid game. I love old-skool formula for shootemups.

:)
  |    | 

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4071 on: April 25, 2017, 02:26:00 AM »
Daisenpu Custom

Me too, if only because I don't need much to think about so far as power ups and fancy game mechanics etc. Just fly/shoot.

Reading pc engine software bible, I see the huey version is actually better than the CD version? Better graphics and more areas? WTH is that about!

esteban

« Reply #4072 on: April 25, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »
Daisenpu Custom

Me too, if only because I don't need much to think about so far as power ups and fancy game mechanics etc. Just fly/shoot.

Reading pc engine software bible, I see the huey version is actually better than the CD version? Better graphics and more areas? WTH is that about!

http://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Daisenpuu_Custom

Sad, but true.

Both versions are solid and fun to play, but it does hurt my heart that CD isn't the "best" version...

:(
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #4073 on: April 25, 2017, 02:31:28 AM »
Daisenpu Custom

http://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Daisenpuu_Custom

Sad, but true.

Both versions are solid and fun to play, but it does hurt my heart that CD isn't the "best" version...

:(
  |    | 

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4074 on: April 25, 2017, 03:23:34 AM »
Boy those changes make no sense to me. (cool site btw, the comparisons site)

BTW do you know how many levels does this game have? I hit level 5 on my first playthrough on Normal (using all my continues to do so). I almost feel like I may actually be able to beat it, a rare thing for me with shooters.

roflmao

« Reply #4075 on: April 25, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »
I have given up on Blazing Lazers. I get to the boss rush and that's the best I can do. So frustrating because it takes like 45 min to get there just to lose halfway through the final level.

Blazing Lazers is totally beatable. That last level is a pain in the ass, but if you've saved up enough flashing orbs and can grab a power up or two by using Esteban's aforementioned skills (it's not hard after some dedication), it can be done. I still can't beat it every time I sit down and play it, but I'm probably at about 50% now, which I never thought would be possible.

roflmao

« Reply #4076 on: April 29, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Blazing Lazers is totally beatable. That last level is a pain in the ass, but if you've saved up enough flashing orbs and can grab a power up or two by using Esteban's aforementioned skills (it's not hard after some dedication), it can be done. I still can't beat it every time I sit down and play it, but I'm probably at about 50% now, which I never thought would be possible.

Interestingly enough, yesterday I tried playing through Blazing Lazers and crashed and burned. However, today, I set up my computer to stream to Twitch and managed to play through the whole thing in s single credit! (The only way it can be finished, I'm pretty certain.)

http://www.twitch.tv/videos/138970713

The game doesn't actually start until about 12 minutes in. I was tinkering with settings before that.

Nectarsis and Sunteam Paul were gracious enough to pop by and provide a bit of running commentary. :)

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4077 on: April 29, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »

Interestingly enough, yesterday I tried playing through Blazing Lazers and crashed and burned. However, today, I set up my computer to stream to Twitch and managed to play through the whole thing in s single credit! (The only way it can be finished, I'm pretty certain.)

http://www.twitch.tv/videos/138970713

The game doesn't actually start until about 12 minutes in. I was tinkering with settings before that.

Nectarsis and Sunteam Paul were gracious enough to pop by and provide a bit of running commentary. :)

Nah, you can beat Blazing Lazers starting with nothing but a pea-shooter in any given stage...at any point in the stage.

It just requires a different strategy than "destroy everything" which is possible when you are powered-up decently.

I started doing this with NES Gradius... and the "make it work, even with no speed or power ups" mantra has served me well on some games.

Blazing Lazers is much more forgiving than other games that kick my arse when I lose powerups (R-Type, Mr. Heli, Dragon Spirit, Raiden, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:32:15 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

gheebee

« Reply #4078 on: April 30, 2017, 04:17:50 AM »
Fired up the Duo for the first time in a while last night and beat Splatterhouse. I might have done this once as a kid but the last time I tried this I used up all my continues on level VI; this time I beat VI on the first try. After that I ran through New Adventure Island again and almost had a perfect game until I died on the second to last level and then 3 more times on the last level. :/

roflmao

« Reply #4079 on: April 30, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
Fired up the Duo for the first time in a while last night and beat Splatterhouse. I might have done this once as a kid but the last time I tried this I used up all my continues on level VI; this time I beat VI on the first try. After that I ran through New Adventure Island again and almost had a perfect game until I died on the second to last level and then 3 more times on the last level. :/

Awesome!