Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 89793 times)

nat

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2008, 07:07:27 PM »
I played Download for  abit. I really need to put more effort into it,its pretty damn nice. Pretty good change of pace from the typical stuff I have been playing for sure.

Hell yeah, the Download games are some very underrated shooters on the system. Unique, interesting, challenging, and all around great fun. Good soundtracks too.

I've beaten both of them.... good times. Although I personally prefer the first-- it's tougher than the 2nd and just "hit the spot" a little better for me. The 2nd game was an easy clear, cleared it the first time I played it.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2008, 03:41:20 AM »
I understand in Download 2 Adolf Hitler makes another appearance

Black Tiger

« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
I understand in Download 2 Adolf Hitler makes another appearance

I haven't played through it, but his mug is on the cover.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TR0N

« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
Street Fighter 2
Sylphia

Afther a short run on the famicom the duo-r is out again.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
Order of the Griffon, working on another quickie video..

Shocking this is my first Turbo game I have reviewed...

What took me so long??

nat

« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
I have to admit, your video made the game look really good.

That's one of the last US releases I have yet to pick up.

MurderDate

« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2008, 03:00:58 AM »
great review, TurboStar.   I had a good time playing OotG when I gave it a go as well.  Took me an entire day just to get started. I couldn't make it beyond that dungeons with the red/blue pools..  it was just so crazy hard for me I figured I had no chance of making it after that. I will say I had a ton of fun setting up my characters and basically learning how to play, though.  The battles can be really fun, too.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

nat

« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
Dragon Egg- I just cleared this game my second time with it, I only got it [from electrohaze] like a week ago. My opinion of this game reflects runinruder's exactly, so just see his review here and be done with it.

The only thing that I can add is that I was initially turned off by this game as the graphics in the first level, unlike the rest of the game, are a horrible, ugly dark brown mess. As a matter of fact, I would have never bothered with this game at all had it not been for runin's review. Once you get past the first area, the visuals pick up for the better. This game boats some really neat Mode 7-ish effects (put to great use, mind you, not pointlessly implemented like so many SNES games) and the game plays really smoothly without a hint of slowdown. Anyway, that's all I'm gonna say really, just see runin's review.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:13:27 PM by nat »

hindsr1976

« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
Right now Bomberman 93 and Castlevania: Rondo Blood finaly got an original.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
Right now Bomberman 93 and Castlevania: Rondo Blood finaly got an original.

Same here - Drac X is getting lots of play time with a bunch of Skweek between whipping sessions.  The little fuzz ball is really cute and the arcade style action is great; unfortunately, it's a bit repetitive and there should be a law barring non-simultaneous two player modes.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2008, 07:39:01 PM »
Power Golf- This is one of those rare instances where I owned & played a sequel before owning and/or playing it's predecessor. Either way, Power Golf 2 is definitely the better title in just about every area. All that said, Power Golf isn't half bad and probably doesn't entirely deserve it's bad rap. It showed up in my mailbox today, all new fresh and sealed from SimpleSimon's store, costing me a total of about $13 (yes, that's even after the hefty shipping from Europe). Not bad considering $13 doesn't even get me three gallons of gas these days.

For a golf game, it's about as bare bones as they come, but it gets the job done. Gameplay wise the only thing that seemed a little funky was control of the shot (stroke power & curve). The game utilizes the classic power meter most golf games love to use, but I found it incredibly difficult to stop the meter where I wanted (I don't have this problem in other golf games that use this method) and even the slightest inaccuracy in this regard caused my drive to curve substantially to the left or right. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad but it was definitely touchier than it should have been.

I played through the entire standard single-player mode and other than the quirk mentioned above, it was a pleasant enough experience. There is only one in-game tune but it's pleasant enough and didn't get on my nerves. There's only one course you can play, but what do you expect from a 1980's golf simulation? I should add however that I've always been into video golf games. There are two kinds of video golf lovers-- those who enjoy the game for what it is, and what I call "arcade" golf lovers. I'm something of the former, where the latter folks view it as "just another video game" and tend to get impatient easily with typical golf simulations, just wanting the game to hurry up and move along. As a youngster I started my video golfing playing MacGolf on our Mactintosh Plus in the mid to late 80's where in between shots it took anywhere from 60 full seconds to 2 minutes to re-draw the scenery. Any minor delays present in any of the Turbo golf games seem like nanoseconds by comparison and thus my game of Power Golf seemed to go quickly and smoothly.

In the long run though, unless you're into video golf games on some level, Power Golf will probably come across as much too primitive and you'll have more fun pointing and laughing at the dated course graphics than with the gameplay itself. Those people, along with the "arcade golfers," are better off passing up Power Golf in favor of Power Golf 2 or another golf game (runinruder keeps telling me Fine Shot Golf from Human is the best golf game on the system but I've yet to try it out). For those folks like me who grew up on MacGolf or any of the multiple golf games on the Amiga 500/1000, pick up Power Golf on the cheap and you'll probably enjoy an afternoon reminiscing about playing video golf on your computer after school as a youngster.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:41:26 PM by nat »

jboypacman

« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
Ok the last couple of days i have been playing lots of Lords of Thunder and Dracula X. :D

Paisa49

« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »
Devil's Crush and Legendary Axe for me.

MurderDate

« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »
I can really love a good golf game.  I forget the name of the game I played back in my first run of video game hobby (circa '86-'92) but it was an entirely lost memory (now a foggy memory) until the Neo Geo fell into my lap with it's two funny and cute golf games.
It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have a real gem of a golf game of it's own (but we DO have WCT/FLT).  Could you imagine a post-Magical Chase golf game by Quest in '93? (akin to the Turf Masters/Metal Slug thing on the Geo)

The Turbo really ended on a high note..  If they could've just hung in there for a few more titles there's a good chance we'd have one or a few more age-defying classics.

"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari